Wouldn't it be great?
    I just think it would make sense.
    You could download and install BB apps with a dedicated extra button for app world?

It can get complicated for people, when they want to install an app, they have to visit the site itself or on their phones, but they can't install and browse apps directly through the desktop manager?
    I bet, it wouldn't even take a rocket scientist, neither a lot of money for someone to redesign that desktop manager, right?
    Last edited by Shodan775; 01-29-11 at 04:17 PM.
    01-26-11 08:04 PM
    I personally would love it appworld is terrible on the phone.........can you say loading.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 08:33 PM
    It would of course be nice... But RIM isn't trying to please us. It's trying to release QNX and then abandon BBOS completely. No need for App World.
    01-26-11 09:12 PM
    I like the idea.
    I also think that they should feed mayonnaise to Tuna's and save us the trouble of adding it later...

01-26-11 09:18 PM
    It would of course be nice... But RIM isn't trying to please us. It's trying to release QNX and then abandon BBOS completely. No need for App World.
    So why is there an App World icon on the PlayBook? Why wouldn't RIM want to have its own (see: official) app store/market?
    01-26-11 09:29 PM
    I like the idea.
    I also think that they should feed mayonnaise to Tuna's and save us the trouble of adding it later...

Very interesting idea (the app world thing). But I like the way you think. )

01-26-11 09:42 PM
    So why is there an App World icon on the PlayBook? Why wouldn't RIM want to have its own (see: official) app store/market?
    soon there might be an android market icon instead of the app world icon
    01-26-11 09:51 PM
    Wasn't there some thing about Android apps running on the PlayBook or did I read that wrong? Maybe using the Android Market as their App World is their plan for success with the PlayBook.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-26-11 10:02 PM
    Wasn't there some thing about Android apps running on the PlayBook or did I read that wrong? Maybe using the Android Market as their App World is their plan for success with the PlayBook.
    Those apps are being ported to run on QNX. They're not compatible "out the box." There's a difference.

And why are you guys (includes matt, as well as others) so pessimistic about this? First the PlayBook will fail because it doesn't have the apps, and now RIM is surrendering because devs have the option to port their Android apps to AIR?
    Last edited by CASH; 01-26-11 at 10:25 PM.
    01-26-11 10:22 PM
    Those apps are being ported to run on QNX. They're not compatible "out the box." There's a difference.

And why are you guys (includes mat, as well as others) so pessimistic about this? First the PlayBook will fail because it doesn't have the apps, and now RIM is surrendering because devs have the option to port their Android apps to AIR?
    RIM just isn't going through a time of prosperity right now and it seems that this PlayBook matters more to them than the Smartphones.

The PlayBook may succeed or fail... But who cares? Most users here care more about getting QNX on their BlackBerries than buying a tablet.
    01-26-11 10:25 PM

And why are you guys (includes matt, as well as others) so pessimistic about this? First the PlayBook will fail because it doesn't have the apps, and now RIM is surrendering because devs have the option to port their Android apps to AIR?
    they arent talking "ports" here, they mean out of the box running android apps i think

Exclusive: BlackBerry PlayBook and smartphones to run Android apps? | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-26-11 10:27 PM
    they arent talking "ports" here, they mean out of the box running android apps i think

Exclusive: BlackBerry PlayBook and smartphones to run Android apps? | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    So that whole thing about BlackBerries running Android was partially true. Smart move I say.
    01-26-11 10:31 PM
    Why would google/android just give their competitor one of their biggest assets?( APPS) Makes no sense to me. Is blackberry gonna allow android to run on bes next? All I know is my flying pig is hungry so I guess anything can happen hehehe

01-26-11 10:46 PM
    I actually find it ridiculous and dont see it happening. Its like RIM admitting app development for the PB/QNX is failing. I mean they had a deal to get a free PB if anyone made an app/game and it go accepted into appworld. It would seem dumb to just then turn around and then start using all apps from android market. I mean the devs would still get their PB and all but still just seems kinda funny to do.
    01-26-11 10:49 PM
    Why would google/android just give their competitor one of their biggest assets?( APPS) Makes no sense to me. Is blackberry gonna allow android to run on bes next? All I know is my flying pig is hungry so I guess anything can happen hehehe

actually something like that is also in the works possibly
    01-26-11 10:49 PM

A pre-installed Java VM. Being able to run old BBOS apps. The possibility of RIM partnering with Google to have the Android Market on the PlayBook and QNX smartphones. I'm ok with that. Even if it were iOS apps. I would be ok with that.
    01-26-11 10:53 PM
    RIM just isn't going through a time of prosperity right now and it seems that this PlayBook matters more to them than the Smartphones.
    Ummm, WHAT??????

Home News Record BlackBerry Sales for RIM in Q3 - BlackBerry News
    01-27-11 04:41 AM
    Would be handy to have app world integration, but it's not happening. If RIM was to do this, we would see it.

01-27-11 04:54 AM
    Oh my god, I would LOOOOOVE it if you could download app world to a computer!!
    01-27-11 02:50 PM
    In comparison to Android and the iPhone is what I'm saying. Not in terms of sales, but in terms of innovation. BlackBerry OS feels dated, RIM noticed that, and as a response RIM is dumping BBOS for QNX.
    01-27-11 06:23 PM
    Apparently, none of you have been to the App World website lately? You can pick your app right on RIM's website, and when your Blackberry is plugged in via USB, apps install so frickin' fast, you almost think it didn't work. Also, I noticed that I never have been told to reboot after a web-based install, and the programs run fine.

I think this is BETTER than installing through DM.
    01-29-11 06:46 AM
    Apparently, none of you have been to the App World website lately? You can pick your app right on RIM's website, and when your Blackberry is plugged in via USB, apps install so frickin' fast, you almost think it didn't work. Also, I noticed that I never have been told to reboot after a web-based install, and the programs run fine.

I think this is BETTER than installing through DM.
    That is great.
    01-29-11 07:07 AM
    Whenever I have extra stuff on my Blackberry all I get is the loading page. I just have the basics, wish I could download more apps!
    01-29-11 03:52 PM
    soon there might be an android market icon instead of the app world icon
    ...and maybe a google search bar on the top of the screen on the new BBs with a little green robot logo with the RIM dots on his stomach.
    01-29-11 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD