WTF... I have sent in plenty of requests to RedBox for an app for my BB, ever since they started appearing in stores! They told me on several occations that it would be a great idea and they were looking into it. So today I get this e-mail, which can be found here, that says New App For iPhone... WTF... I don't get it. Is there not more BB users? Why does it seem like the iPhone is the first to get all the best apps!
    03-26-10 08:31 AM
    It's easier to develop apps for the iPhone and the thought is that Blackberry is generally for the business world. iPhone is seen as a fun, consumer phone and that's who is going to attract developers more.
    03-26-10 08:34 AM
    Because the iPhone is primarly a "fun and entertainment" device, it's logical that they would get these types or any apps entertainment driven first. If these apps and other things are what you are wanting, then the iPhone other equivelent is for you.
    03-26-10 08:35 AM
    I he heard all this before... I would get an iPhone if it was offered by Verizon, however that is not the case and besides the point... I am under the understanding that BB still has a much larger user base than iPhone, so it just makes since, to me, that devs interested in making money would sell or make apps for the phones with more users... I guess I don't know enough about the business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 08:42 AM
    I am under the understanding that BB still has a much larger user base than iPhone,

They do because most of their users are business people. I personally do not know many business people that use an iPhone for business.
    03-26-10 08:45 AM
    They do because most of their users are business people. I personally do not know many business people that use an iPhone for business.
    So because BB are used mostly for business use, there phones are not considered to be fun? I absolutely love my storm! I bought the S1 when it was first released thinking finally a fun phone by a true cell phone company, then I got the S2 when it was released because of how much I loved my S1, I thought there was no way they could make a phone more fun that the S1 and they did. I use my phone for business, don't get me wrong, but when I leave work I still have my phone and like to use it. My phone uses do not stop at work.

03-26-10 08:52 AM
    So because BB are used mostly for business use, there phones are not considered to be fun? I absolutely love my storm! I bought the S1 when it was first released thinking finally a fun phone by a true cell phone company, then I got the S2 when it was released because of how much I loved my S1, I thought there was no way they could make a phone more fun that the S1 and they did. I use my phone for business, don't get me wrong, but when I leave work I still have my phone and like to use it. My phone uses do not stop at work.

No, thats not what I said or mean. I just said that the majority of BB users are business people. Don't get me wrong, BBs are loads of fun, and I love my Storm as well. However, if you are looking for the same kind of fun as the iPhone, you are not going to have the same experiance as a berry. Nothing wrong with that, different devices. My S2 is work issued. We are not allowed to have very many entertaining apps. Heck, my stock games were deleted when it was issued to me. If we want any apps, it has to be approved and installed by our IT dept. I bought an iPhone for pure entertainment purposes.
    03-26-10 09:15 AM
    03-26-10 09:17 AM
    No, thats not what I said or mean. I just said that the majority of BB users are business people. Don't get me wrong, BBs are loads of fun, and I love my Storm as well. However, if you are looking for the same kind of fun as the iPhone, you are not going to have the same experiance as a berry. Nothing wrong with that, different devices. My S2 is work issued. We are not allowed to have very many entertaining apps. Heck, my stock games were deleted when it was issued to me. If we want any apps, it has to be approved and installed by our IT dept. I bought an iPhone for pure entertainment purposes.

I hear ya... I guess I'm just aggravated about this app in particular and I'm ranting about all apps in general because of it... I'm not trying to jump on ya because it obvious that things are not going to change anytime soon... I just expected BB to be more proactive, now that they have a fun phone, to get more devs to jump on board and create more apps for the BB users. It seemed like that's what they were doing at first but now I'm thinking otherwise... OH well... I'll just have to deal with it because I am not interested in changing my service provider.

03-26-10 09:26 AM
    I see BlackBerry as a comm device first and can eventually hit consumers well in time. It's easier to this, than the other way around

03-26-10 09:46 AM
    BB is a business device first. They are just piddling around with the consumer market and will never be an app driven phone. If it's really bothering you, go get an iphone or a droid.
    03-26-10 10:24 AM
    What I never understood is if there are 150,000 apps for the iPhone and only 15,000 for the Blackberry (rough estimate), then why wouldn't you want to develop for the platform that has less competition? ScoreMobile is the only good sports app for blackberrys, that is why we all have it. If the same app was available for the iPhone (maybe it is?), it has a ton more competition and probably gets much less exposure.
    03-26-10 10:41 AM
    BB is a business device first. They are just piddling around with the consumer market and will never be an app driven phone. If it's really bothering you, go get an iphone or a droid.
    I am aware that all BB phones are business first, and I am not interested in having a purely app based phone. What I would like is more of the apps that show up on the iPhone that have a real purpose, like this one in question, to start showing up for BB users. I could care less about games and fart apps, but when I see the apps I could really use daily, such as this one, not offered to BB users it gets me aggravated.

03-26-10 10:41 AM
    WTF... I have sent in plenty of requests to RedBox for an app for my BB, ever since they started appearing in stores! They told me on several occations that it would be a great idea and they were looking into it. So today I get this e-mail, which can be found here, that says New App For iPhone... WTF... I don't get it. Is there not more BB users? Why does it seem like the iPhone is the first to get all the best apps!
    My understanding is that it is harder to develop apps for blackberry because it's operating system is not as open as the iphone's platform.
    03-26-10 10:43 AM
    Thats just stupid, come on man....

Some people love their BBs for many reasons but also wish it has some better app options. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I can't stand the iPhone (used it a bunch and don't like it one bit) and I don't know enough about the droid to have an opinion. However, i know it doesn't have a clicky screen which is a must for me (or a BB keyboard). Either way, I like the Storm2 far more than any other phone I've used, but it is definitely lacking in the app department.
    03-26-10 10:52 AM
    it is very simple and has nothing to do with the "consumer" vs. "business" phone argument. yes, there are more BB users if you put all of the models together. however, with so many different screen resolutions, processor speeds, memory allocations, and input methods on different models, developers would have to write several versions to cover all of them.

iphones are all the same, write your app once, and sell it to everyone.
    03-26-10 11:18 AM
    Once again... even if the OP won't accept it... the iPhone is easier to develop for... I'm not a dev... but that's what I gather from being a daily CrackBerry visitor... It seems RIM is stafting to get on board... but they also have a ways to go.

03-26-10 11:28 AM
    I'm lucky enough to have both.

I use the Blackberry for my e-mails and calendar etc.
    Then the iPhone 3Gs for everything else... Browser, Apps, Games

Not to mention that iPhone apps that are 0.59 or $0.99 and are a lot more expensive on the Blackberry. (or free on the iPhone if you Jailbreak)

As a few people have said above, I know the app's are easier to make and adjust for the iPhone. Don't forget their app store has been about for years now so I think BB will catch up eventually.
    Last edited by MaxdMerc; 03-26-10 at 12:41 PM.
    03-26-10 12:32 PM
    I hear the same reasons over and over... it is easier to make apps for iPhone, and BB phones are more for business users... I understand all that but still can't figure out why a company such as RIM can completely concur the business side of cell phone use but have trouble adding fun to the phones as well. Why did they make the storm if not to be the best of both business and fun? It feels like they just forgot about the fun part after releasing the storm.

03-26-10 01:51 PM
    I have a curiosity question for you:

In your experience, do the majority of business people that you know work for larger companies (more than 100 employees)?
    03-26-10 04:47 PM
    Ill tell you I am a small business owner and swear by my BB...but I kno a lot of small business guys who use an iPhone...the one recurring theme is they all seem to dislike AT&T.

03-26-10 06:52 PM
    I have a curiosity question for you:

In your experience, do the majority of business people that you know work for larger companies (more than 100 employees)?
    I work for a global company, that is a large company (in the thousands of employees). I rarely see many business people using the iPhone for "business" although some of our vendors are large companies and I see them using them. For the most part, I don't know any companies personally that have issued iPhones.
    03-26-10 07:25 PM
    I work for a global company, that is a large company (in the thousands of employees). I rarely see many business people using the iPhone for "business" although some of our vendors are large companies and I see them using them. For the most part, I don't know any companies personally that have issued iPhones.
    Thanks for the answer. I'm a small business owner who works with other small business owners constantly. Your answer confirms what I was thinking - larger companies predominantly still use Blackberries. In the small business world, there's a good mix of devices. I see all of the phones talked about on this forum all the time. Quite a few use IPhones & are very happy with them (the AT&T service is another issue). Similar to FuzzyB's experience. Only a few business users that I know use Storms (1 & 2). I'm guessing that a lot of Blackberry business users are on BES through their company. It would be interesting to see some actual statistics, again just out of curiosity.

As far as the original topic of this thread, I understand why apps are far more popular on the IPhone, because of the culture that Apple has created with it. I am one that would like to see more apps available for Blackberries, particularly the Storm as I can see it being a truly all-in-one device.
    03-28-10 09:33 AM
    my .02 is that Android is going to step in here. with all the customization and openess of how they deal with things, this is kinda a nightmare for RIM. i saw a $6 game on the Droid marketplace the other day. most expensive app i have seen! they're stuff is SOOOOOOOOO much cheaper!! and FTW i think their return policy kicks RIM in the nuts. 24 hours to return for a full refund! 24 hours!!!

i had S1 and my best bud has S2 and THANK GOD they made the storm usable!!

BB's are great IMO, but the rate things are going with android, it kind of meshes BB and iGarabge. i am not here in any way or be trollish or any of that BS. just throwing in my thoughts!!
    Last edited by Bramsy; 03-28-10 at 09:11 PM.
    03-28-10 09:07 PM
    Ok, here's the scoop as best I understand it. Several good responses here, but unless I missed it, there's one thing not being said. BB has multiple devices with multiple OSs. A developer cannot just develop an app for say, the Storm, because then all the Bold/Tour/Curve/Pearl, etc. people will be left out in the dark. With the iPhone, you write an app for...........the iPhone! I understand there are some minor differences between the earlier versions of the iPhone vs. now, but by and large, it's MUCH easier to write an app for the iP and have a huge target audience than it is say, for the BB.

Regarding one post above, from JBDale, I used to feel the same way until I began to dig deeper. I was very surprised to learn that there are many businesses that use iPhones and in one particular case, I learned that the top 200 law firms in the country, use iPhones because there are legal apps that are ONLY available for this device! I didn't believe that, so just today, I was visiting a good friend who's son is attending law school and working in a law office. I asked him if the partners in his firm all use iPhones and sure enough, yep! I know there some similar situations in the medical field as well. Again, this is all because it's much easier to write for one device than for five...or ten...or more!

Yes, BB is trying to get more into the consumer market but that's a huge barrier to overcome. Personally, I would think that an aggressive developer with a good idea (say, the legal software) would say "Ok, we have this great product and we're going to target all Bold, Tour and Storm users" if the app were in enough demand, then corporations would start issuing/demanding that is what the employees should use. Thus, the demand can be there for the supply. Until that happens though, it's always going to be slow going.

One other thing...ever compare the same app on a BB that's on an iPhone? Wow! I've seen two now (again, my friend's lawyer to be son) that made me a bit green with envy. Just today, while we were wathing NCAA (GO DUKE!), I pulled out my phone to show him my CBS NCAA Sports app. He said "Oh yeah, I got that too, I think...doesn't look like yours, though..." upon which he pulled out his phone, opened his CBS NCAA Sports app and it was like night and day difference! I really liked his more. It can be frustrating, to be sure. I have ZERO desire to own an iPhone..I'm not a fan of the device in general, and I HATE ATT, but I'll give credit where credit is due.
    03-28-10 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD