As more and more sites, banks, and businesses are creating apps.... BlackBerry is always left out.

With OS 6 I was hoping this would change, but that does not seem to be the case.

I'm seeing quite a few News apps, Banking apps, File sharing apps, TV Guide apps, etc
    They all seem to be for iPhone and Android.
    For BlackBerry they either have a mobile site launcher to download, which will basically take you to their mobile site using your browser.
    Or they will just have the mobile site that we can go to.
    For BlackBerry to be a smartphone, we're basically accessing many of those sites the same way a dumbphone would access them.

When will we be added and stopped being left out?
    01-16-11 06:16 PM
    writing for a BB is unique, and a lot of developers choose the easy route and go android or iphone.

QNX will change this as it is almost a direct linux port.
    01-16-11 06:17 PM
    yeah, o2 came out with a My O2 app that tracks your usage. Guess what, iPhone, and I believe Android. BlackBerry, forget it. Not even a mobile site launcher.
    01-16-11 06:23 PM
    As more and more sites, banks, and businesses are creating apps.... BlackBerry is always left out.

With OS 6 I was hoping this would change, but that does not seem to be the case.

I'm seeing quite a few News apps, Banking apps, File sharing apps, TV Guide apps, etc
    They all seem to be for iPhone and Android.
    For BlackBerry they either have a mobile site launcher to download, which will basically take you to their mobile site using your browser.
    Or they will just have the mobile site that we can go to.
    For BlackBerry to be a smartphone, we're basically accessing many of those sites the same way a dumbphone would access them.

When will we be added and stopped being left out?
    I think it is the size of the audience too. nearly every teen and tech savvy person I know has an IPhone, Android or Droid and they are not and will not change. So of course they are the Target. They can do so much more with those devices, contrary to what BB diehards would lead you to believe.
    01-16-11 06:33 PM
    There are apps out there for the Blackberry, too. I have a banking app from my bank, plus several news apps. The selection is still lacking, but I've been able to find a free or nearly free app for whatever I've been looking for. I do hope QNX will encourage a huge growth in quality apps for Blackberry.
    01-16-11 06:59 PM
    There are apps out there for the Blackberry, too. I have a banking app from my bank, plus several news apps. The selection is still lacking, but I've been able to find a free or nearly free app for whatever I've been looking for. I do hope QNX will encourage a huge growth in quality apps for Blackberry.
    Unfortunately non of the local news in my area have BlackBerry apps.
    Neither does my bank.
    Everything has to be through the browser, and we all know that the Blackberry browser isn't something to jump and rave about.
    Having an app always make things faster and efficient.
    Guess I shouldn't feel too bad. Windows mobile & Palm are left out as well.

All you see is "Download our new app". Then when I go to download it, it's either for the iPhone, Android, or Both.
    01-16-11 07:05 PM
    I'm rather sick of our local news station forcing us to get their mobile app or going to their mobile web page without an option to go to their full page.

I can't remember the last time I used a dedicated app for something I can do on a website. Maybe it was the last time I used the BB.

I think part of the reason BB lags in the app department is their rules to get into App world, and also the PITA it is said to be to code for BB OS.
    01-16-11 07:20 PM
    I don't need app that condenses websites. My torch can access full webpage so I just go to my bank web and do my banking. If you filter out all the fart apps, there's probably 10 per cent productivity apps and the rest you know what.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 07:34 PM
    writing for a BB is unique, and a lot of developers choose the easy route and go android or iphone.

QNX will change this as it is almost a direct linux port.
    Actually Android is a linux port - QNX is Unix-like as is the Mac OS. Should be easier to code for than the current java based BB OS regardless.

01-16-11 08:36 PM
    My bank has a BB app - doesn't have an Android app.

Berry Weather is an awesome app for BB - haven't seen one that matches its features on the Android side.

Poynt for BB has features (like reverse number look-up) that aren't included on other platforms.

Drivesafe.ly reads emails as they are received on the BlackBerry. On Android, it has to check the email box and read them from there (before they are received on the device). If the device picks them up first, they are never read. Plus, it can read the messages over Bluetooth headsets. Unless you have Android 2.2+, it isn't able to do that.

If you are lucky enough to get a SocialScope invite, that app has a lot of features that aren't available from other social apps (TweetDeck comes close on Android, but doesn't have Facebook Page integration, and SocialScope's FourSquare integration is much better).

There are features that seem to be easier to use in BlackBerry development (include super-app integration). One of the things I have noticed between the two platforms is that even though there may be thousands more apps on Android, the ones that pair up on BlackBerry are very well done. You may not have as many choices, but there are quality apps on BlackBerry,
    01-16-11 09:36 PM
    Berry Weather is an awesome app for BB - haven't seen one that matches its features on the Android side.
    You must be talking about that $10 price tag.
    01-16-11 09:44 PM
    I use weatherbug elite on android it cost $1 instead of $9.99 like berryweather for bb. If you look hard enough you can get apps for what you want on both platforms. I just like the fact that paid apps are generally cheaper on android than bb.

01-16-11 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD