08-08-09 07:12 AM
72 123
tools
    I'm no expert but didn't RIM have many APIs ( application programming interface ) locked to Developers?

Didin't I read soemthing recently about them unloccking some of them recently?

Couldn't that ahve an impact on App development?
    06-02-09 10:34 AM
    Just because some of the apps in the App Store are dumb and useless does not mean that the iPhone platform is dumb and useless. They are not forcing you to use those apps. There may be a lot of dumb and useless apps in the App Store, but there are also many great and useful apps in the App Store.
    Eliminate the "dumb apps" and the games, and compare what remains. I think there's quite a bit of equity there. Where the major difference is, the iTunes App store vs. the embarrassing BB App World. Lord knows what they were thinking there.

However - RIM doesn't dictate what we can or cannot install. Can't say the same for Apple (v3 notwithstanding.)
    06-02-09 10:47 AM
    I think the problem lies more in with how apps are deployed to each smartphone.

iPhone Pro: One place to go to get all of your apps. You can only go to the App Store to get your apps, so everything shows up there.

iPhone Con: Apple controls what goes into the App Store, so you are somewhat limited by what Apple accepts. Granted, some of the silly apps get through while turn-by-turn GPS directions and IM apps that run in the background get rejected.

BB Pro: You can go to a lot of diffeent sites to get applications. If you want a Google app, you go to Google's website and choose the app you want. You can go to App World, Crackberry, Handmark, and many other sites to get apps for your BB.

BB Con: RIM has locked down certain APIs, so some applications that people would like to see on the BB are difficult for developers to create. Security restrictions, such as not allowing apps to load from SD card, also limit some of the BB capabilities.

App World has a very limited selection of apps for our wonderful BlackBerries. Most of the apps can be found on other sites (and easier to find as well). You can't compare Apple's App store to RIM's - since everything for the iPhone is in one place and more apps for BB are available outside App World. It is better to search for BB apps outside of App World.

The other thing that gets me when I see threads like this - nobody lists the apps they are looking for. The app may exist already, just not on App World. It would be much better to ask, "does anybody know about an app that does this or that?" With the vast wealth of information on this forum (and the number of users), you might be surprised what others have found.

I suggest making a list of applications you are looking for. We can all list what is available for BB from there.
    06-02-09 01:12 PM
    To answer the question "Why?"

I think this is a two part answer...

- First off, the user interface between BlackBerry and iPhone/Touch are completely different. One is a touch based interface that is extremely intuitive when it comes to touch & response. A lot of pleasure for the user is derived when one is able to simply touch the screen and get immediate feedback (in most cases ). Whereas the BlackBerry interface can be extremely slow at times and isn't as fast moving (i.e. scroll, select, tap trackball). You're going to have more fun with an application when it is simply touch and go.

- Secondly, developers are forced to work with BlackBerrys across many platforms (instead of one). Also there are three different methods for development; Browser; JDE; and Java. Also remember, BlackBerry's have substantially less memory than an iPhone/Touch and therefore developers have limited resources in that department.

Until RIM excels its hardware (for Application Development), I don't think we'll see anything jaw-dropping come our way.

My opinion.

Anyone that is quick to say "BlackBerry Apps are just as good..." etc. are in denial. Facebook is one of the best examples. I can pick up my iTouch, hit the facebook icon, and be chatting with my facebook friends in seconds. On the BlackBerry............there is no chat!

The advantage of RIM over Apple right now is a solid keyboard and a secure interface. If Apple develops the two, what reason do we have to stick with a BlackBerry?

Those are the only reasons I have stuck around.
    06-02-09 02:13 PM
    I totally agree! I'm so glad we don't have silly apps like iPhone. Do we really need an app that rolls dice??
    Well if that were true, there would not be a Light Saber App for the Storm or FART apps for Blackberries. Do we really need fart apps for Blackberries? Hey I can a lot of uses for an app that rolls dice. Just think of all those board games you can no longer play, because you lost the dice.

No matter what the platform, there will always be so sort of useless, run it once delete it forever type of apps made for smartphones and cell phones in general. Just look at all the games out for BB's. And more and more "Silly" apps like the fart button are popping up every week.
    06-02-09 04:52 PM
    People with iPhones have apps...People with BB's have JOBS
    06-02-09 05:05 PM
    People with iPhones have apps...People with BB's have JOBS
    06-02-09 05:14 PM
    The iPhone 3G won best business smartphone from JD Power!
    Yeah, then explain why the Curve outsold it in Q1 of 2009
    Epoch Times - Blackberry Outsells iPhone in First Quarter of 2009

J.D. Power is meaningless.
    06-02-09 05:27 PM
    The iPhone 3G won best business smartphone from JD Power!
    JD Power has given Nissan cars "Best" something, something....

Doesn't mean they're correct.
    06-02-09 05:30 PM
    Having just switched from an iPhone to my Curve, I can tell you that the app selection for the iPhone is kinda overrated. Sure, the iPhone has the BlackBerry beat hands down for games, but every app I actually *used* on the iPhone has a suitable replacement on the BlackBerry.

Save the Remote Desktop application I had. Still looking for one of those.

Truth be told? I don't want the "silly" apps on my Curve. I'm sure that if I need to, I can generate my own fart noises without my phone in hand.

+1 completely agree I as well miss having a remote desktop application..

still most the apps are just games and other things that are not that useful...
    06-02-09 08:52 PM
    there are 3 remote desktop apps depending upon what you want to do on the remote computer.
    06-02-09 09:17 PM
    I realize that many of of the apps for the iPhone are useless, but many of them are awesome. I have 6 pages (5 icons per row) of apps that I use daily.
    Do u mind to name a few of them?
    06-02-09 09:42 PM
    this a more business phone well thats my opinion
    06-02-09 10:18 PM
    Well, I, for one, would say that most of the "great apps" of the iPhone are mostly the same as in the BlackBerry, just with fancy effects and eyecandy that make them have that Apple look. But just look at the price of the phone... it's outrageous.

BlackBerries have lesser hardware, but optimized for communication. What makes a BB so addicting is how easy makes the user stay connected to the net and his people on the move. And they're considerably cheaper. I can do what you do with your iPhone with a 8700g, except taking photos (lacks the hardware), listen to MP3s or see videos (lacks memory and some power), but then, go and look at eBay how much they ask for an unlocked 87xx, and go see how much they ask for an unlocked iPhone.

BB's are practical, iPhones are eyecandy for the same thing, but more expensive and making you look cool 'cause comes from Apple (nowadays if you wanna look cool you can't lack an Apple product, it seems... )
    06-03-09 05:04 AM
    That is why there are so many different kinds of phones. You need to find a phone that you love using and allows you to do the things that you need it to, be it an iPhone or Blackberry.
    06-03-09 05:55 AM
    there are 3 remote desktop apps depending upon what you want to do on the remote computer.

please name them
    06-03-09 06:12 AM
    RDM+
    TSMobiles
    VNC+

Personally I use TSMobiles since the computer and router in question were already configured to use remote desktop connection built into windows.
    06-03-09 07:49 AM
    The FB is a good example of a program that doesn't match between iPhone and BB. The functionality of the iPhone version does look better. What I like about the FB app for BB is that it ties in with my address book. Whenever a person updates their profile image on FB, it updates on my BB. Whenever I get a call from someone, it shows their current FB images with the caller ID.

As far as FB Chat apps, I'm actually glad that it is not included in the FB app. There are several choices out there for IM (IM+, JiveTalk, NimBuzz, Palringo to name a few) that support FB Chat. I get to choose the interface that I like best.

Plus, I can have my IM app running in the background while I do other things. My friends can hit me up anytime on my BB. With the iPhone's lack of mulitasking, you can only have one app open at a time. If you want to do something else on your iPhone, you have to close out Facebook.
    06-03-09 08:17 AM
    I figured I would weigh-in with my opinion, since I just switched back to my Curve from an iPhone.

The #1 reason I switched back - email. I check three separate email accounts, all work related. Switching between these Inboxes on the iPhone is brutal. I would leave off in a message list when I exited the mail app, so I had to click back THREE times to get to my list of mailboxes, then click through THREE MORE TIMES to open a new message. That SIX clicks to get to a new message. Ridiculous. The iPhone also can not provide separate notifications for new mail in each Inbox, even jailbroken. So I don't know if the mail is informational, personal, or an emergency.

The next most difficult thing for me was the keyboard. I struggled with typing messages, txts, and even URLs in the browser. Some folks have said you adjust after a period of time, but I experienced the same issues when trying out the Storm. So for me, a QWERTY keyboard is mandatory.

And let's not forget the true business integration offered by the Blackberry MDS. Our Intranet and two ticketing systems are published through MDS and are accessible via Blackberry. That functionality is not available on the iPhone at all, in any shape, form, or fashion. Furthering the business integration is the Blackberry Messenger. I can reach anyone in my company via BBM in an instant, even if they are not in my Contact List, because of the integration with Exchange and Office Communications Server. This functionality is not available on the iPhone unless I use a public IM network and set it all up beforehand.

Lastly, while the iPhone's browser is impressive, I struggled with getting websites to recognize that I was using a mobile phone and rendering the page that way. It always seemed that I was zooming in, clicking a link, then zooming in again. Wayyyy too much trouble.

It wasn't all bad, however. The entertainment features of the iPhone ROCK! Music and video performed flawlessly. I actually would reach for the iPhone to surf YouTube before I would fire it up on my PC. I quit using Media Monkey (awesome Windows media player) and was listening to music on the iPhone exclusively. The Blackberry performs only "adequately" in these areas. I also found an excellent diet application for the iPhone that let me easily track my eating habits. This is an area where the Blackberry is sorely lacking (and before you say Ascendo, DietOrganizer, etc...those apps are horrible from an ease of use perspective).

So to sum it all up, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison. As mentioned in this thread, and many others, the iPhone is a well-designed, albeit expensive, consumer device as evidenced by the excellent quality of lifestyle-type applications and the lack of functionality offered in a business arena. The Blackberry is the exact opposite, a secure business-driven device that enables rapid corporate communication. Some third-party apps are great (Pandora, BBWeather, etc) while others are still lacking (diet apps, ereaders, etc).

So pick your flavor and run with it.
    06-03-09 10:03 AM
    Actually we have a lot of the same apps like the level, air traffic controller, parking lot etc etc. great thing about the BB world is that mannnny people can code in java, and can just rip ideas right from the iphone.
    06-03-09 10:26 AM
    I don't buy the crap about two different focuses. Even though Blackberry has a reputation for the buisness only standard phone, they are obviously trying to move forward towards a happy medium between consumer and buisness. This is seen through their introduction of the pearl, curve, and the new [completley multimedia centered] blackberry storm. Not to mention several multimedia centered blackberrys to be released this year.

I think the developers just need to come up with more compeling applications. Not stupid stuff, just attractive, usefull applications.
    06-03-09 01:47 PM
    Iphone has larger target market with high variety.. Users aged from 15 to 95 :P while i dont think there are many under 25 that have a BB...
    08-08-09 07:12 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD