Is there a reason besides lack of dev support that BB's don't have great apps like the iPod touch and iPhone?
    05-25-09 12:17 AM
    I think the different markets they're aimed at has a lot to do with it...
    05-25-09 12:19 AM
    Having just switched from an iPhone to my Curve, I can tell you that the app selection for the iPhone is kinda overrated. Sure, the iPhone has the BlackBerry beat hands down for games, but every app I actually *used* on the iPhone has a suitable replacement on the BlackBerry.

Save the Remote Desktop application I had. Still looking for one of those.

Truth be told? I don't want the "silly" apps on my Curve. I'm sure that if I need to, I can generate my own fart noises without my phone in hand.
    05-25-09 12:26 AM
    There aren't a lot of the silly apps because RIM doesn't open the core to general playing around. They have a reputation for reliability and security, why mess around with a good thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 12:28 AM
    I realize that many of of the apps for the iPhone are useless, but many of them are awesome. I have 6 pages (5 icons per row) of apps that I use daily.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-25-09 at 11:20 AM.
    05-25-09 12:30 AM
    Name a few that you use daily. There may be similar apps.
    05-25-09 01:37 AM
    I'm a former Iphone Fan, I thought I would never trade the Iphone for any phone! Until my last Iphone got stolen. Decided to try something new, And the BB-Bold it was. Now at first I hated it with a passion, Missed my fav apps and games and Ipod And My internet was majorr! But about 5 day's into the Bold and I'm proud to say that I'm out of Iphone Rehab LOLOL.
    I agree with what's said alot on this subject In this thread and in many other's. The reason for the major difference is The difference In Market This phones are AIMED at. Non the less, I still love the Iphone But I'm content with the app's available for my BB-Bold so far. Seems like the App's grow on a daily basis!
    05-25-09 02:03 AM
    Games are the main thing missing from BlackBerry, and you can just get an iPod Touch to cover that.
    05-25-09 06:56 AM
    Completely different user base. The bulk of the users for BBs are corporate types. In a lot of cases, they may not even be able to install anything on their phone.

Save the Remote Desktop application I had. Still looking for one of those.
    Look into RDM+ (or one of the other programs offered by them to see which flavor suits your needs)
    05-25-09 07:19 AM
    One of the issue with BBs is memory space. With the iPhone/iTouch, you have a lot more memory for graphics, plus graphics accelleration. Some of the games and apps on the iPhone are several MB in size.

With the BB, there is a design purpose behind most apps. They have to be small, run quickly, and be efficient. RIM has not opened up all the APIs, so it also does restrict some usage. It is also a very secure phone, and the API limits may be becuase of the built-in security.

It would be nice to see some of the iPhone apps have a similar counterpart in the BB world (such as the credit card authorization app). New apps are showing up regularly, and there are a lot of apps already out there.

The way I look at it, the iPhone is an app device that happens to have a phone built in. The BlackBerry is a smartphone that can run additional applications. The primary purpose of both devices is completely different.
    05-25-09 08:19 AM
    Because they are simply not made by APPLE!!

05-25-09 08:30 AM
    Its a completely different platform. Rim would have to start from scratch the best solution right now if to get a bb and an itouch best of both worlds.

05-25-09 08:47 AM
    Apps for the darkside are mostly for kids. Appworld has more apps for people that have brains

05-25-09 09:30 AM
    Apps for the darkside are mostly for kids. Appworld has more apps for people that have brains

I was gonna say this. Iphone is a toy. I am an apple fan boy admittedly but the iphone I can live without. My bold serves its function pretty well. I don't miss the games. I can always bbm if i am bored.
    05-25-09 09:34 AM

I am hoping that was a joke otherwise it was a pretty stupid comment.

While the iPhone does have way more stupid apps then the blackberry it also has better written apps then I have been able to find for the bold. Yes you can find some that are close, but in no way are they comparable in function or especially in looks.

Here are just a few: A VNC app that doens't push the screen back to the iphone, just lets you control the keyboard mouse. This is great for a media machine.

I decent newreader. And don't say Viigo as that is awful bloatware that looks like crap

Evernote. Yes you can get this for the blackberry but is just plain sucks.

A kindle reader.

A decent task/project manager app. I tried 4 or 5 on the iPhone and can only find one for the BB

And then if you compare the socal networking apps like facebook or twitter, none of the available apps for the blackberry come close.

I am not mentioning games as like most people have said that is something that the blackberry isn't meant to do so comparing those are fair.

I just switched from a iPhone to a blackberry as it suits my needs better, but the OP is correct in that the quality of blackberry apps does not compare with the iphone. And the original questions is still out there. Why?
    05-25-09 09:48 AM
    but the OP is correct in that the quality of blackberry apps does not compare with the iphone.
    In my experience that is not correct. iPhone apps are *prettier* for sure, but are they of a higher quality? I had more problems with low quality apps crashing my iPhone than I've *ever* had on *any* BlackBerry.

Quantity I'll agree with. There are more iPhone apps than there are BlackBerry apps. But quality? Neh.
    05-25-09 10:02 AM
    In my experience that is not correct. iPhone apps are *prettier* for sure, but are they of a higher quality? I had more problems with low quality apps crashing my iPhone than I've *ever* had on *any* BlackBerry.

Quantity I'll agree with. There are more iPhone apps than there are BlackBerry apps. But quality? Neh.

All I can say to that is that there are crappy apps for both platforms. I read in these forums all the time about apps that don't work for the user installing them.

My other issue is that there seems no way to know when an app you have has gotten updated. Some will check for updates themselves, which is fine, except if you bought it from appworld, then it thinks the appe you got from them is uninstalled. Other apps give no indication of updates. So unless you browse forums everyday you have no way of knowing what has been updated.
    05-25-09 10:15 AM
    I don't disagree with you on those points. There are crappy apps on both platforms, and iTunes does make application updating easier.
    05-25-09 10:37 AM
    I will wade into this with a few thoughts.

Apple changed the World with iPod and iTunes. The same strategy is at work with the iTouch and iPhone. They have been at it longer, they have supplied the applications developers with tools longer and they pay out plenty of seed money.

BlackBerry is a late entry, but the commitment to developers is in place now and results are starting to appear.

IMHO, give it another year and we will plenty of applications for both platforms. It is the developers interests to develop both markets.

05-25-09 11:32 AM
    Some of the apps I think are great on the iPhone but their counterpart on BB is subpar:
    Twitterific- This is an excellent twitter app. It would be great if we had one this good for our BB's.

Peggle, Trism, X-Plane- These are excellent games. I really wish we had this good of games for the BB.

Kindle & all the other ebook readers- Why can't we have great ebook readers like these?

Ustream- There really is no reason why we can't have a Ustream app.

Preloaded media apps- why are the BB media apps so crappy compared to the iPhone?

Facebook, Myspace- The iPhone Facebook are so far ahead of the BB counter parts that they're not even comparable.

All the little utility apps that, while you may not use them everyday, they are very handy to have.

Here's some screenshots of my iPod touch to show you all my apps:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/wha...ml#post2635415
    05-25-09 11:43 AM
    This whole discussion is coming down to "what I want to use the device for".

As we know, BB's are geared for the corporate world and iPhone is more of a consumer product. Of course your social networking, games and other candy-like apps are going to be better on the iPhone because that is what it was built for.

Why do I have a BB and not the iPhone?

#1, security. Someone gets my BB I have peace of mind knowing it'll be completely wiped before they can get my info. The only thing they can get is my music and pics from the media card. Big deal.

#2, I find it is fast, simple and to the point. I can switch apps without really interrupting my typing. And typing is far easier IMO because I do not use a touch screen, hence higher speeds.

And many more reasons. Sure the memory is low, but the point is security. I am sure RIM will eventually come out with a completely consumerized version but I suspect for now they will continue to service the corporate world who loves them very much.
    05-25-09 12:45 PM
    This whole discussion is coming down to "what I want to use the device for".

As we know, BB's are geared for the corporate world and iPhone is more of a consumer product. Of course your social networking, games and other candy-like apps are going to be better on the iPhone because that is what it was built for.

Why do I have a BB and not the iPhone?

#1, security. Someone gets my BB I have peace of mind knowing it'll be completely wiped before they can get my info. The only thing they can get is my music and pics from the media card. Big deal.

#2, I find it is fast, simple and to the point. I can switch apps without really interrupting my typing. And typing is far easier IMO because I do not use a touch screen, hence higher speeds.

And many more reasons. Sure the memory is low, but the point is security. I am sure RIM will eventually come out with a completely consumerized version but I suspect for now they will continue to service the corporate world who loves them very much.
    You can #1 on the iPhone
    05-25-09 01:11 PM
    I realize that many of of the apps for the iPhone are useless, but many of them are awesome. I have 6 pages (5 icons per row) of apps that I use daily.
    It would be nice for some to be supported on the Blackberry.
    05-25-09 01:34 PM
    I am hoping that was a joke otherwise it was a pretty stupid comment.

While the iPhone does have way more stupid apps then the blackberry it also has better written apps then I have been able to find for the bold. Yes you can find some that are close, but in no way are they comparable in function or especially in looks.

Here are just a few: A VNC app that doens't push the screen back to the iphone, just lets you control the keyboard mouse. This is great for a media machine.

I decent newreader. And don't say Viigo as that is awful bloatware that looks like crap

Evernote. Yes you can get this for the blackberry but is just plain sucks.

A kindle reader.

A decent task/project manager app. I tried 4 or 5 on the iPhone and can only find one for the BB

And then if you compare the socal networking apps like facebook or twitter, none of the available apps for the blackberry come close.

I am not mentioning games as like most people have said that is something that the blackberry isn't meant to do so comparing those are fair.

I just switched from a iPhone to a blackberry as it suits my needs better, but the OP is correct in that the quality of blackberry apps does not compare with the iphone. And the original questions is still out there. Why?

Couldn't have said it better myself. The quality of the apps definitely make a big difference. I have and use both daily and although I like my bold better, the apps will never be on the same level; NEVER!. IMO, that shouldn't be a problem, as that isn't the only thing that sells. RIM just needs to focus on those things as apps isn't going to do it for them.

RIM doesn't have the same enthusiasts as Apple does with the iPhone. Also a lot of apps are created for free on Apple just because of the tools apple has given developers (The best SDK ever) to develop quality apps. RIM devs all want money for the work they've done (not saying that is bad, but it's ten times harder to create an app for twenty BlackBerry devices than one iPhone, 2g and 3g being the same.) Perfect example of the same app being free on the iPhone and not on the BlackBerry is Shazam. Same app and does more on the iPhone (iTunes store link as well as Youtube).

Yahoo attempted a Beta for the BlackBerry and got no support from users. The iPhone app has been d/led and is being used like no tomorrow. End result, Yahoo is stopping production on the BlackBerry app.
    05-25-09 02:36 PM
    You can #1 on the iPhone
    Yep, I've considered that.

Oh wait, sorry, I see. Ok, I was wrong there, sorry. I just view my BB as a messaging center though, not something to stuff with strange apps and Twitter clients. That's just me though.

Man I hate social networking. Whatever happened to just calling people and going to hang out?
    05-25-09 02:59 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD