First I noticed it was Shazam -- only 5 tags per month unless you buy it. Now I find out about Beejive, which is $20! I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Why are these free on the iPhone but cost money on the BB?

Edit: Hmm, my friend told me Beejive was free for him, but it looks like it may be $15.99 for iPhone users. At any rate, the original question still stands, unless of course I'm wrong about Shazam too!
    06-23-09 02:43 PM
    My guess is just the time it takes to make the apps. RIM isn't making most of them, it's made by some one else. They want some compensation for the program they made.

I bought Documents to go, and Berrybuzz. They were useful and worth the money. Anything else I don't really need that bad.
    06-23-09 03:06 PM
    Because we are all capitalists. Profit is what drives us to do things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 03:54 PM
    There are a ton of very good free apps for the BB. I've loaded and unloaded more than I can remember and still have maybe 20 free apps that I like to keep handy. Poke around a bit and search these forums. You'll find more than you can handle.
    06-23-09 03:59 PM
    Because most of the apps for BB's are actually useful...
    06-23-09 04:10 PM
    My understanding was that Shazam was not free when it was released. A friend told me he had to pay for his.
    06-23-09 04:11 PM
    Because most of the apps for BB's are actually useful...
    Touche'

I particularly like the cippi fart generator app.
    06-23-09 04:29 PM
    Yeah we pay cause its useful for our everyday lives. Also it helps the people that make the apps create more.
    06-23-09 04:37 PM
    Touche'

I particularly like the cippi fart generator app.

LOL!!!

i have never, EVER payed for any app on my BB.

when i get an onyx, i MIGHT consider it.
    06-23-09 05:23 PM
    ive never paid for an app either
    06-23-09 05:23 PM
    Sadly for you, answers above are all wrong. Here's the actual reason.

Assuming the question is based on the fact that apps like weatherbug and shazaam that are free on the iphone cost money on the blackberry. The answers comes down to distribution, advertisement, and bandwidth. The latter are both tied to the first. Any application that is sold for "free" for an iPhone gets free distribution through the Apple store. Apple does the processing, hosting, linear cataloging, and provides the bandwidth for final distribution to the user. By doing so, they save developers alot of money, time, and hassle. With a BB the software company or individual has to provide the resources to distribute the program and therefor has to charge for the application so that they don't lose money.

As an iphone user for the last 2 years, and now a blackberry user, I find this frustrating, but its' just the way it is. To say that the apps are useful on a BB and not on a iPhone is just petty and moronic. Both of the programs I listed are "uesful to me" yet I didn't have to pay for them on my iPhone.
    06-23-09 05:24 PM
    if thats the case then why are there not free apps hitting app world
    06-23-09 05:33 PM

Assuming the question is based on the fact that apps like weatherbug and shazaam that are free on the iphone cost money on the blackberry. The answers comes down to distribution, advertisement, and bandwidth. The latter are both tied to the first. Any application that is sold for "free" for an iPhone gets free distribution through the Apple store. Apple does the processing, hosting, linear cataloging, and provides the bandwidth for final distribution to the user. By doing so, they save developers alot of money, time, and hassle. With a BB the software company or individual has to provide the resources to distribute the program and therefor has to charge for the application so that they don't lose money.

As an iphone user for the last 2 years, and now a blackberry user, I find this frustrating, but its' just the way it is. To say that the apps are useful on a BB and not on a iPhone is just petty and moronic. Both of the programs I listed are "uesful to me" yet I didn't have to pay for them on my iPhone.

Weatherbug is free on my bb....

06-23-09 05:58 PM
    I refuse to pay for apps. i will just goto the mobile web site.
    06-23-09 06:48 PM
    I get weatherbug free too!

06-23-09 06:54 PM
    The only app I have paid for is BerryBuzz. I wanted the ability to customize my LED so I put out the 5 bucks for it, but I will not pay for any others.

And Shazam doesn't cost anything, I just downloaded it for free a few days ago and have used way more than 5 tags and haven't been required to pay a cent. You may have to pay after you use a certain number of tags, but that number is definitely not 5, I have used almost 20 already since I downloaded it.

06-23-09 07:06 PM
    You can get free weatherbug apps on your blackberry, there is comparison between the free iphone app and the free blackberry app. The iphone version has multiple cities, radar, forecasts, and much more compared to the limited bb version.
    06-24-09 05:53 AM
    There are a ton of very good free apps for the BB. I've loaded and unloaded more than I can remember and still have maybe 20 free apps that I like to keep handy. Poke around a bit and search these forums. You'll find more than you can handle.
    Yeah I never pay for apps, there are a lot of free ones listed here in this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bla...a-apps-236714/
    06-24-09 06:06 AM
    I'm guilty of paying for applications, but I use them a lot. I purchased DocsToGo Premium, Repligo Reader (so I can view native PDF files), BeeJive, and BBSmarts Alarm Pro (I found a free one but it kept freezing my phone).

06-24-09 06:18 AM

Well it looks like they would pay us to use the apps and make the iPhone users pay a lot for them apps
    We are theoretically business people with our fancy blackberry's and they are little children with their stupid horrible iPhone.

By theoretically I don't really mean it lol
    Last edited by XxXjacobXxX; 06-27-09 at 01:04 AM.
    06-24-09 06:23 AM
    You can get free weatherbug apps on your blackberry, there is comparison between the free iphone app and the free blackberry app. The iphone version has multiple cities, radar, forecasts, and much more compared to the limited bb version.
    No, I have multiple cities(just input the zipcode), radar maps, forecasts, current conditions, severe weather warnings, current temp and conditions are pushed to my bb. I would hardly call this a "limited" version and wait....its also free.

The iphone version may be slighty different but I doubt its all that much better, I mean honestly besides what I listed what more do you need from a weather app?

Last edited by grandpa dan; 06-24-09 at 06:50 AM.
    06-24-09 06:44 AM
    I can never understand why people complain about paying for applications.

These applications are created/developed by people who deserve to get compensated for their time and effort. Afterall, those of us who go to work also expect to get paid, right?

Maybe we should all start complaining about having to pay for our BlackBerry's in the first place. Or we should start asking why we really need to pay the note on that truck in the driveway?

If you can't afford to pay for an application, or just don't think you should, fine. But quit complaining about it!

***Just my personal feelings on this subject***

06-24-09 07:36 AM
    I can never understand why people complain about paying for applications.

These applications are created/developed by people who deserve to get compensated for their time and effort. Afterall, those of us who go to work also expect to get paid, right?

Maybe we should all start complaining about having to pay for our BlackBerry's in the first place. Or we should start asking why we really need to pay the note on that truck in the driveway?

If you can't afford to pay for an application, or just don't think you should, fine. But quit complaining about it!

***Just my personal feelings on this subject***

Well said...after all, we live in a capatalist society and a person deserves to be paid for his work. Also, some developers offer a free app (like QuickPull) and charge for others. For many, this is a business, not a hobby. That business should be respected and not ridiculed.

06-24-09 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD