I was browsing the blackberry app store, as well as crackberry app store today out of boredom and looking for something to buy but in the end I figured there was absolutely nothing good. Why do blackberry apps suck? Coming from a windows mobile device, I can say I miss the variety of apps i could run on my WM device. Is it hard to code for blackberry? is it expensive? I am trying to understand.
    10-13-09 11:00 PM
    "Why to BB apps suck?"

Is that even a question?
    10-13-09 11:04 PM
    You know rather than posing a flame bait question you might
    state what is is you are looking for and someone can point you
    in the right direction.

I currently have 46 very useful (and that is the operative word
    here) apps on my 8900. Use all of them extensively and daily.
    10-13-09 11:11 PM
    so people will ask oddly phrased questions due to having nothing to buy for their retail therapy session.
    10-13-09 11:14 PM
    I'm jealous AG. I dont have near enough memory on my Curve to do more than like 5-6 good apps...
    10-13-09 11:37 PM
    Want more variety of apps.
    10-13-09 11:49 PM
    Aaron, you must have one of the earlier Curves, or haven't done much to improve Memory Management. I know plenty of folks with Pearls and Early Curves that have more than 2 dozen apps and plenty of memory.

Have you done any memory optimization?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 11:51 PM
    I was browsing the blackberry app store, as well as crackberry app store today out of boredom and looking for something to buy but in the end I figured there was absolutely nothing good. Why do blackberry apps suck? Coming from a windows mobile device, I can say I miss the variety of apps i could run on my WM device. Is it hard to code for blackberry? is it expensive? I am trying to understand.
    So what is it that you are looking for that Blackberry doesn't offer? From the variety of places to get apps you can't find what your looking for?

I don't understand what your trying to understand.
    10-14-09 12:06 AM
    Well, it seems that the quality of the games aren't that great. I can completely understand that :P. I've had the iphone and winmo phones (android, too) and winmo & the iphone have a huge base for games and apps. BB apps .... are good / ok (of course it depends on the app) but games are REALLY bad. The best game out there is brick breaker or that older game, infection. That's saying a lot ... Not to mention they're also kind of expensive. My bro has the iphone, which I dislike, but he downloads games OTA that are 200 megs and paid 1.99 for them. They're over all stunning in graphics. Does the BB not have ANY graphic card acceleration? :s. The app world is the most graphical app i've seen, along with facebook with its wishhing and whooshing of screens.
    10-14-09 05:41 AM
    Most BBs do not have graphic acceleration (the ones rumored to have them aren't activated).

It's odd that people make generalities like this without specifying what they are looking for.

What app do you want to see on your BB? It might already exist.

App World is not the best place to look for apps. THere are a lot of other sources that have more options avaialble.
    10-14-09 08:10 AM
    I ton't know.
    10-14-09 08:48 AM
    This thread gets posted daily. Biggest reason (IMO) that the apps for iphone and BlackBerry are so different is that there is only one OS to develop for on the iphone and only one device to develop for the iPhone.

On the other hand, blackberry has numerous OS and builds to develop for (4.3, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0) as well has MULTIPLE devices (8100,8200,8300,8500,8700,8900,9000,9530, etc etc etc).

So, if you were to spend time to develop an app that you wanted to make money on, which is the logical platform to develop for? Spend less time making on for the iphone than you would having to make one that is compatible with multiple Operating Systems and Multiple devices.

But, with all that said, I use an iPhone and a Bold, and there is not an app that I have on my iphone, that my bold doesnt have something just as good. (unless you are looking for an app that simulates you drinking a beer when you turn the screen or something useless like that).
    10-14-09 08:50 AM
    I second this. Though, some apps are usefull. Except for this: BlackBerry App World - THE Flashlight (Uses Camera Light) - One Touch - Free Trial

I can't rate it a 3 because I just can't. For some reason, this is just suppose to turn on the flash light using your flash, not enabling the camera with flash. App fail. Waste of $3
    10-14-09 08:51 AM
    I second this. Though, some apps are usefull. Except for this: BlackBerry App World - THE Flashlight (Uses Camera Light) - One Touch - Free Trial

I can't rate it a 3 because I just can't. For some reason, this is just suppose to turn on the flash light using your flash, not enabling the camera with flash. App fail. Waste of $3
    You think the flashlight app is fail? ill admit that is a little pricey for an app that you can do yourself, but it speeds up the time to turn it on and lowers the battery cost of using it.
    The BB flash can at least generate some light compared to the iphones flashlight app..
    10-14-09 01:34 PM
    Well, it seems that the quality of the games aren't that great. I can completely understand that :P. I've had the iphone and winmo phones (android, too) and winmo & the iphone have a huge base for games and apps. BB apps .... are good / ok (of course it depends on the app) but games are REALLY bad. The best game out there is brick breaker or that older game, infection. That's saying a lot ... Not to mention they're also kind of expensive. My bro has the iphone, which I dislike, but he downloads games OTA that are 200 megs and paid 1.99 for them. They're over all stunning in graphics. Does the BB not have ANY graphic card acceleration? :s. The app world is the most graphical app i've seen, along with facebook with its wishhing and whooshing of screens.
    As much as people bring games into the veiw, carrying around a ds or psp is just as easy as carrying your iphone/winmo phone around.
    Those games are fun for about a week then they either just sit on your phone or you delete them. Even if you just have a minute at work to play a game, tetris or brickbreaker is sufficient enough to pass the time.
    Unless your going on a road trip or on a plane.
    Thats where ds or psp comes into play... i would rather play something like crisis core than papertoss anyday... and if someone uses the excuse of im to poor to buy something like a ds or psp, you can buy a gba for 30 bucks with tons of games on amazon for 5 bucks.
    I just dont understand how people use the game situation as such a reason on why BB apps world sucks or there isnt enough variety.
    Most useful apps that they have on iphone/winmo/android, we have on BB also.
    Last edited by dille_21; 10-14-09 at 01:48 PM.
    10-14-09 01:43 PM
    As much as people bring games into the veiw, carrying around a ds or psp is just as easy as carrying your iphone/winmo phone around.
    Those games are fun for about a week then they either just sit on your phone or you delete them. Even if you just have a minute at work to play a game, tetris or brickbreaker is sufficient enough to pass the time.
    Thats where ds or psp comes into play... i would rather play something like crisis core than papertoss anyday... and if someone uses the excuse of im to poor to buy something like a ds or psp, you can buy a gba for 30 bucks with tons of games on amazon for 5 bucks.
    I just dont understand how people use the game situation as such a reason on why BB apps world sucks or there isnt enough variety.
    Most useful apps that they have on iphone/winmo/android, we have a BB also.
    Because you look like a child carrying around a gameboy to play video games plus that's more crap to carry.
    10-14-09 01:49 PM
    Most useful apps that they have on iphone/winmo/android, we have on BB also.
    I get what your saying, but why carry around 2 devices if you don't have to? I have a Zune, and I've stopped using it since I got my Blackberry. If you could get 1 device that does it all, that makes much more sense...damn BB and their outdated (OMG..but so secure!) OS!
    10-14-09 01:50 PM
    I blame Java. xD
    10-14-09 01:59 PM
    Games? Really? What are we 6th graders. There's a point in a mans life where he leaves the nest & spreads his wings. Lol just joking but come on guys there are certain things when you become a big boy you shouldn't even do or care about any longer. Be a big boy & pay your bills, make calls, or email people.

10-15-09 07:41 AM
    Games? Really? What are we 6th graders. There's a point in a mans life where he leaves the nest & spreads his wings. Lol just joking but come on guys there are certain things when you become a big boy you shouldn't even do or care about any longer. Be a big boy & pay your bills, make calls, or email people.

Uhh... No? I'm 23 going on 24. I'm by most standards, young. I wake up at 6:15 every morning and I don't get home until 9PM, that includes my 45 minute lunch :P. I pay bills (a lot of them) and I still enjoy an entertaining game (be it a strategy or a board game). Just because you're an adult doesn't mean that you can't have fun, and some games really do stimulate your mind. I enjoy puzzle games :P. hehe
    10-18-09 02:24 PM
    Yup 28 here and finishing law school.

Never really owned a game console since the Super Ninentendo back in the day but dont mind Sim City or Assissins Creed when Im bored.

Games dont make you immature at all liek the iphone hater stereotypes want you to believe.
    10-18-09 03:08 PM
    Well I'm young; and I need my games!! Brickbreaker has done well for me. xD
    10-18-09 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD