<rant>
    So I've been watching the news/updates and all of the app store launches, and simply don't understand all the fuss.
    RIM's appworld looks to be a near total waste.
    It requires you to have a registered PayPal account? Before you can even browse anything?
    Before appworld, you could at least see a (fairly minimal) list of apps on RIM's website. That ability is now gone.
    Granted, there are plenty of places to go for apps or app info - Crackberry being at the top of my list to check, but what was RIM thinking? If they really wanna play in the consumer space, they need to make things easier, not harder or more complex.
    </rant>
    06-05-09 12:12 PM
    Eh?

I don't have a paypal account and I have access to app world. You only need a paypal account to purchase things, and there are a good handful of freebies on there too.
    06-05-09 12:15 PM
    Great points all of them. They are a very successful company that is reacting to Apple's every move. Rush out a touch screen then app store rather than refining them and then worry about fixing them at a later date. Slow down RIM and get it right.
    06-05-09 12:21 PM
    From RIM's appworld download page:
    "If you have a PayPal® account, and if your BlackBerry® smartphone meets the system requirements, then you’re ready to download BlackBerry App World from your smartphone or from your desktop computer."
    Nothing said about only needing PayPal if you want to purchase.
    06-05-09 12:24 PM
    I suggest just trying to download it, because I definitely do not have a paypal account and I go on app world all the time.

Bryan
    06-05-09 12:27 PM
    I have downloaded and browsed app world, with out giving any of my paypal info out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 12:32 PM
    It requires you to have a registered PayPal account? Before you can even browse anything?
    That's incorrect.

It requires you to have a registered PayPal account before you can *buy* anything.

I downloaded the App World app, browsed the apps, and DLed the Facebook app from it (which is free) and didn't once get prompted about PayPal.

It seems at least that portion of your rant is unfounded.
    06-05-09 12:35 PM
    From RIM's appworld download page:
    "If you have a PayPal® account, and if your BlackBerry® smartphone meets the system requirements, then you’re ready to download BlackBerry App World from your smartphone or from your desktop computer."
    Nothing said about only needing PayPal if you want to purchase.
    They want to "heavily encourage" you to register a Paypal account. If you do that before browsing AppWorld, you're probably much more likely to actually pay for an app, rather than just sticking with free ones. But yeah, you don't need the account to get the free stuff. I don't even remember it ever asking if I had an account.
    06-05-09 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD