So did we decide which of the free ones is the best?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Looks like it was narrowed down to 3:

- Nimbuzz
    - eBuddy
    - Palringo

Though I also read:

palringo is TERRIBLE and ugly and a battery *****. ugh
    07-21-09 01:45 PM
    I've tried all three of those free applications. Here are my thoughts on each...

1. Nimbuzz: It just doesn't seem to work well. First, it takes AGES to sign in. Second, I can send Facebook chat messages to people, and they can see them fine, but when they send messages back to me, I can't see them on my phone (only on my computer). Maybe it's just me, or maybe this is a common problem, idk. Also, the chat process is more complicated than it should be. You have to select the person you want to chat with, hit Menu > Start Chat, type your message, and hit Menu > OK to send it; after that, you're taken to a chat window in which any time you want to send a message, you have to hit Menu > Write, type your message, and hit Menu > OK. Why not just a simple IM-like interface, where there's a chat box and a send button right in the chat window?

2. eBuddy: I can't find where to download a BlackBerry version of eBuddy. They seem to have everything else... iPhone, Android, and a ton of other phone manufacturers, but BlackBerry (or RIM) was nowhere to be seen. I did see that they have a mobile web-browser-based interface; I tried it, but it was kinda counterintuitive. You have to click a "Write" button, wait for the page to reload, type your message, hit "Send," and wait for it to reload again to send a message. And the chat screen reloads once every 10 to 15 seconds, since that's the only way for it to check for new messages sent by whoever you're chatting with.

3. Palringo: We have a winner. Its only downfall is that you only have one option for a notification when someone sends you a new chat message: you hear a loud ding/beep. You can turn that notification off, but then (obviously) you won't be notified when someone sends you a message. (You can't control the volume; it's either on or off.) Ideally, they'd allow the phone to vibrate when someone sends you a chat message, and they'd let you decide the volume of the ding.

But in a pinch, Palringo works quite well. You just set up an account with Palringo (completely free) and sign into it on your phone. Then, you hit Menu > Services > Add Service, choose Facebook, and enter your Facebook email address and password. It imports your contacts for you. When you go back to the main screen, just scroll to the right with the trackball to get to the Contacts tab, where you can see who's online and initiate a chat with someone. The chat itself is easy to use; just type your message, and hit Menu > Send to send it. The chat window displays your messages and the other person's messages in the window, color-coded by who said what. I haven't tried multiple chats at once, so idk how well Palringo handles that.

If anyone knows of any other, possibly better free BlackBerry apps that support Facebook chat, please post. Especially if said apps have a vibrate option when you receive a message.
    Last edited by cwomble2113; 09-01-09 at 09:00 PM.
    09-01-09 08:50 PM
    Keep in mind, that Facebook for iPhone is developed by Facebook, while the BB app is developed by RIM... Hence why the iPhone version is much better
    09-01-09 10:46 PM
    My buddy has an iphone with the new facebook app. I must say, iphones and Bb's were about even, til now. RIM needs to get FB chat going pronto

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 01:30 AM
    Just downloaded Nimbuzz.. so far its just ok. I can chat on it and havent had any problems yet. Only downside is when you get a new IM it doesnt appear in your message inbox like email/bbm/aim/etc.

Might try out Palringo in a minute.

Sorry for thread bump
    11-20-09 03:09 PM
    Any update to this .... or Rim still got their heads stuck in their asses
    04-11-10 09:07 PM
    After searching all the fb chat apps that was suggested on a bunch of sites, Nimbuzz is the only one that I had no prob getting onto and using. It is a great FB chat app!!! Love it!!!
    11-22-10 12:10 AM
    Nimbuzz app is the way to go
    11-22-10 12:13 AM
    tried nimbuzz its great that its free and easy to set up
    i find meebo even better personal opinion
    11-22-10 07:01 AM
    The new facebook v1.9 is decent, but still slow.
    11-22-10 08:02 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD