Well today is the first day of winter and I continue to wait for a ski/snow report app for blackberry. The REI zumobi app is subpar and to be honest I don't even know where to get it anymore..

Not to turn this into an Iphone vs. blackberry situation, but I have four+ ski/snow report apps for my itouch.... so there is no reason one GOOD blackberry one...

Anyone hear anything on ski/snow report apps in development or beyond
    12-01-09 05:27 PM
    Try berryski.com

(sorry, i can't post links yet...)
    12-02-09 06:24 AM
    heres is the link Ultrainferno(would have ) posted for ya

BerrySki <-----berry ski link

since VZW locks some of GPS stuff on some phones you might wana make sure it would work on your phone first.
    Last edited by DavidNC; 12-02-09 at 06:36 AM.
    12-02-09 06:29 AM
    Ahh yes... I did notice this app

This app doesn't seem to give ski/snow conditions however it seems to be more of a tracking app.

I am looking for something along the lines of what REI did for blackberry last year, except 100 times better/faster

Thanks for the links though!
    12-02-09 12:07 PM
    does anyone have a link to the rei app?
    12-07-09 02:00 PM
    I don't know if u live in Colorado? But if u do EDL makes a launcher for the Colorado ski reports. That's what I use and it gives me all the resorts here in co and how many lifts are open plus what ther current conditions and snow report. I really love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 04:25 PM
    I don't know if u live in Colorado? But if u do EDL makes a launcher for the Colorado ski reports. That's what I use and it gives me all the resorts here in co and how many lifts are open plus what ther current conditions and snow report. I really love it.

That would be this one.

12-07-09 04:52 PM
    Any app developers picking this up??! Boarding trip this weekend! Id like to see conditions for surrounding resorts!
    12-09-09 11:43 AM
    Any app developers picking this up??! Boarding trip this weekend! Id like to see conditions for surrounding resorts!
    Same here! That would be sweet.
    12-09-09 02:04 PM
    Ok, guys, I picked this up and I have an alpha ready for testing. It is very bare bones right now. I plan to add some features, but location based ones I can't until I can find a source that gives me locations for the resorts. There is one site that I can get the data from but it charges, so the app would then need to have a monthly fee - bleh.

If you download this, it will only run for 7 days - by which time I should have released the final app on Mobihand and my site. Send me email through this site if you have issues or suggestions.

Let me know what you all think:

http://firestrm.thruhere.net/SnowReport/SnowReports.jad

Thanks,
    -frank
    12-12-09 12:28 AM
    Boilerplate in pacific northWET (well, pacific northDRY lately)
    12-12-09 09:44 AM
    Maybe I'm old and don't understand the app thing but it seems most apps are basically a short cut to a site. I subscribe to the snow report emails to the areas close to me that I ski. These emails come at 6am. Also weatherunderground mobile site allows you to first access a state and then has a list of all the reporting resorts for that state for you to review

12-12-09 11:27 AM
    Ok, guys, I picked this up and I have an alpha ready for testing. It is very bare bones right now. I plan to add some features, but location based ones I can't until I can find a source that gives me locations for the resorts. There is one site that I can get the data from but it charges, so the app would then need to have a monthly fee - bleh.

If you download this, it will only run for 7 days - by which time I should have released the final app on Mobihand and my site. Send me email through this site if you have issues or suggestions.

Let me know what you all think:

http://firestrm.thruhere.net/SnowReport/SnowReports.jad

Thanks,
    -frank
    Thanks for getting started on something like this. It's definitely a "start", but I'm eager to see where it goes.

Right off the bat, one thing I notice on my storm is that as I scroll down through the list of resorts, the background image gets dragged with it and becomes distorted.

Any additional info (like # runs/lift open) would be cool.

Anyway, thanks for putting this together!
    12-12-09 12:34 PM
    Yeah, I am still looking for a site that I can get that info. Again, most sites charge for their data.

I am surprised about the background issue.

Anyway, the more I look at what info I can actually get for the app, I am thinking there is no point. Oh well, sorry guys. Only way that there will be an app is if the data holders build one since they will be charging me a subscription fee I would need to charge the users a fee.

-frank

12-12-09 01:04 PM
    Many of these ski/snow report sites put out their own apps... perhaps it would be worth it to contact them and suggest to make an app for blackberries?
    12-12-09 10:27 PM
    its definately a great start. it looks good and im not having a problem with that scroll but an app the would let us know the trails and lifts open would be amazing i know you can get that info from weather.com but thats a pain going through it on your phone. i really hope you can pull that information in for your app. otherwise im assuming that the new snow collumn is in inches maybe put that little "in." abbreviation in up at the top. like i said i like where this is going though great start!!!!!
    Last edited by citystars41; 12-16-09 at 07:52 PM.
    12-16-09 07:45 PM
    he already said that he's given up on continuing to work on the app because it would just turn into a subscription app
    12-16-09 08:03 PM
    yeah I contacted the company and the feeds that have all that info - $5000/year is what it would cost me. I am thinking that is a completely out of the question
    12-16-09 10:25 PM
    Really sorry guys. I am talking to them to see if they would be interested in a branded app, but just really started talking to them today actually.

-frank
    12-16-09 10:26 PM
    $5000/yr is not a terrible amount of money for an app that you could charge $1.99-$2.99 for and also get some advertisement revenues. Obviously the hard part is putting up the 5k but the return/yr would at least be 3-4 times that. I am at least happy someone is grabbing hold of this much appreciated!
    12-17-09 08:50 AM
    I have several apps out in the world. One sells for $2.99. After the sites take their cut, Mobihand takes it's cut, I receive - $1.79 per copy sold. That means I need to sell 2,793 copies just to break even, which is not very likely.

Then, I need to make that a one year subscription fee, because next year it will cost me $5000 (or more) again. So, putting up the initial 5k is not a huge deal for me, but doing it and believing I have any chance of recouping it is.

So in your estimations, to make 3-4 times that I would need to sell about 10,000 copies!

-frank
    12-17-09 09:42 AM
    Agreed, probably better off getting some $ from a site to develop a BB app and just take your cut of money and not worry about breaking even. What site/sites have you contacted to possibly develop their app?
    12-17-09 10:05 AM
    OnTheSnow/MountainNews is who I have talked to.

-frank
    Last edited by kaediil; 12-17-09 at 02:54 PM. Reason: misspellin
    12-17-09 12:32 PM
    onthesnow's iphone app looks very nice! Pretty much exactly what I am looking for
    12-17-09 11:58 PM
    onthesnow's iphone app looks very nice! Pretty much exactly what I am looking for
    I agree with this... I just want an app where I can choose the 4 or so mountains I like to ride, check the weather, trails open, lift operations, and surface conditions...
    12-18-09 06:41 AM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD