Anyone have any idea when apps like App World, beejive, facebook etc... Become 5.0 compatible? 5.0 Gas been leaked for quite some time (about 3 or so weeks now) and I feel like a large majority of BB users have upgraded to 5.0 so why the long delay for these popular apps to make a few quick changes to allow these 5.0 users to use their software?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 05:02 PM
    I would think that developers aren't yet spending their time tweaking the applications to be fully functional on OS 5.0, since that OS is not official yet.
    08-12-09 05:12 PM
    I mean I understand that ya, but when a large portion of BB users are running 5.0 don't you think they would want to make the upgrade?

08-12-09 05:16 PM
    RIM based apps won't be updated until it's super close to time to release 5.0, considering that non-testers aren't supposed to have 5.0 yet.
    08-12-09 05:36 PM
    Yeah and as many people as we know that are running it, think of all the people on Curves, Pearls, World Editions, Tours that are NOT running it. Most of those devices are still sold daily.

In comparison, only a small sliver of people are really running 5.0
    08-12-09 05:38 PM
    Anyone have any idea when apps like App World, beejive, facebook etc... Become 5.0 compatible? 5.0 Gas been leaked for quite some time (about 3 or so weeks now) and I feel like a large majority of BB users have upgraded to 5.0 so why the long delay for these popular apps to make a few quick changes to allow these 5.0 users to use their software?

They have alpha builds of the BB APP world that work with 5.0. It's all internal, though. As for consumer apps, once 5.0 goes official and the APIs are available for the devs, it will be updated for 5.0 use. That's if they want to update them...
    08-12-09 06:30 PM
    They will, from what I've heard, release dev tools to certain developers closer to when 5.0 will become official. Then they will give them time to develop, then they will give them time to develop applications. And after they release 5.0 (or right when they do) they will release the new applications.

There's no real point in releasing an application for an OS nobody is supposed to have. It's like getting MS Word 2020. It probably work on any current versions of Windows, so there's no point in having, developing, or releasing it.

08-12-09 07:05 PM
    They have alpha builds of the BB APP world that work with 5.0. It's all internal, though. As for consumer apps, once 5.0 goes official and the APIs are available for the devs, it will be updated for 5.0 use. That's if they want to update them...
    Exactly, without the APIs the developers cant update their apps really.
    08-12-09 07:09 PM
    Is the 5.0 SDK even available yet? Man, I'm so psyched for this year's Developer conference. Can't wait to see what RIM brings to the playing field.
    08-12-09 07:13 PM
    1) Developers don't waste time building apps to support leaks, even if it was possible (see the discussion about the 5.0 dev tools not even being available)

2) actually most people haven't switched, in fact I doubt half of the people on these boards have even switched full time. I know I haven't. These boards make up a very small percentage of the Blackberry population. Do we have anywhere close to 28 million members?
    08-12-09 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD