WhatsApp Messenger - Communication & Internet BlackBerry Apps
    BlackBerry App World - WhatsApp

After getting pulled off the shelves a couple of times, seems its here to stay

Have anyone tried it?
    Am getting mixed reviews, some unable to connect, some reported flawless operation.

In anycase, its USD$3, still in its infant stages :/
    Last edited by jpgnfx; 01-13-10 at 07:32 PM.
    01-13-10 07:27 PM
    I happened to get on it during the beta. I then installed it on my girlfriends iphone and played around. I still prefer texting with her but its great for talking with people in other countries that have iphones.

The UI is very ugly.. and I was actually expecting that to be updated before it went for sale but at least it is something I can work with.

Updates better be free.

I also didn't like the fact that it was 3$ for the ugly bb version but the iphone version was only 99c. They could have at least made it 99c on crackberry.

Oh well. It has become a pretty necessary app for myself and I now have a good method of communicating with those far away for free.
    01-13-10 09:41 PM
    andddddddddddd they took it off mobihand again -_-
    01-16-10 06:33 AM
    I've been using it for the last couple of days no. At first I was stuck in the initializing stage but the support e-mail people got back to my questions within 15 mins which was pretty impressive. It works now without any major problems.

I like it as I have friends that have Iphones and like that it pushes messages even when you're not in the whatsapp window itself. I haven't actually tried msn, aim or yahoo on my phone but can anyone tell me if you can leave msn on in the background and messages people send to you there can be pushed to your home screen; and how the loading time of those message apps compare with whatsapp.

I remember reading some posts about people wondering why this app is getting so much attention when msn,yahoo are just as good. From what i've seen and used on my bb/itouch it is simple and quick just like bbm. All it needs now is a major upgrade of the bb UI which is more or less non existant right now.
    01-17-10 07:05 PM
    IMPORTANT: Unlimited BlackBerry Internet data plan is required! If you only have BlackBerry Email plan, WhatsApp will NOT work as it requires internet connectivity.

Does this mean it wont work over wifi? It would be great if you can use over wifi without a data plan, same as with the ipod touch.
    01-18-10 03:23 PM
    I've been using it for the last couple of days no. At first I was stuck in the initializing stage but the support e-mail people got back to my questions within 15 mins which was pretty impressive. It works now without any major problems.

I like it as I have friends that have Iphones and like that it pushes messages even when you're not in the whatsapp window itself. I haven't actually tried msn, aim or yahoo on my phone but can anyone tell me if you can leave msn on in the background and messages people send to you there can be pushed to your home screen; and how the loading time of those message apps compare with whatsapp.

I remember reading some posts about people wondering why this app is getting so much attention when msn,yahoo are just as good. From what i've seen and used on my bb/itouch it is simple and quick just like bbm. All it needs now is a major upgrade of the bb UI which is more or less non existant right now.
    They did not get back to me. Can you offer some advice? I'm often stuck at the Cold Syncing part. Only way is to reinstall after every reboot.. Am running OS 5.0 on Bold 9700.
    01-18-10 07:42 PM
    When you say "often" stuck does that mean there are times when you can get by the cold syncing part?

The only things I am certain of is that (like stated before) you have to have:
    - An internet data plan, not just the e-mail plan
    - I have the Bold 9700 on OS 5.0 as well on a 3G network. I don't know if anyone even offers the bold on Edge only but I know of one person who could not connect their phone ( I forget if it was iphone or bb) and they were on an edge network as well.

So...
    If you DO have an internet plan, ARE using a 3G network, and DID install version 2.0.1391.285 off BB App world then you have done the exactly same thing I have under the same conditions.

If that is the case and its still not working then I'm sorry I can't give any more advice than that.

Shame because its a bloody useful app! I can only hope that the next update is close and solves all of these basic connection problems.
    01-18-10 08:56 PM
    I keep my bold on 2G and not 3G for battery life reasons and it works just fine.

I also have hte latest OS5 running on my Bold 9000.

I also have version 2.0.1408 installed which I got from crackberry app store.
    01-18-10 09:15 PM
    I've 3G BIS plan, and my version is also the crackberry 2.0.1408 one, which they pulled from the store -_-

Am gonna stick around till the next update I guess, HOPEFULLLY soon, they've been working at this for eons, and only managed to release this beta app which they are selling for 3bucks. Meh.
    01-19-10 02:10 AM
    jpgnfx - Have u used the app?

I'm thinking of downloading it, or should I say I was thinking of downloading it but it's been pulled from the bb app store again.

I was also curious, the description say:
    * NO NEED TO LOG IN/OUT. No more confusion about getting logged off from another computer or device. With push notifications WhatsApp is ALWAYS ON and ALWAYS connected.

* OFFLINE MESSAGES. Even if you miss your push notifications, WhatsApp will save your messages offline until you retrieve them during the next application start.

How would u get offline msgs if you don't need to log in and out of it??
    01-20-10 08:31 AM
    How would u get offline msgs if you don't need to log in and out of it??
    I've been using this for a number of months now. Its not that bad. Not the prettiest interface but functional. It works.

You don't need to log in/out because it does it automatically in the background. Once your BB boots up it connects and thats all. But its all based on your phone number so you don't really need to have an account password. Your phone number is you "bb pin".
    01-20-10 02:09 PM
    Hi, Does anyone know why they keep removing the app from the crackberry store and the mobihand store?

In my country, appworld its not supported so I cant buy the app from there.

Is there another place where the app is available?
    01-29-10 08:11 PM
    I don't understand, one of the key features is:
    "NO PINS OR USERNAMES. Why even bother having to remember yet another PIN or username? WhatsApp works just like SMS would work (via phone numbers) and it integrates with your the address book of your device."

why not just use text messaging? lol
    01-29-10 10:32 PM
    Hi, Does anyone know why they keep removing the app from the crackberry store and the mobihand store?

In my country, appworld its not supported so I cant buy the app from there.

Is there another place where the app is available?
    That pissed me off actually. I bought it from crackberry (aka mobihand) and they took it down apparently due to piracy. So now I gotta get a refund and go re buy from app world. I saw on twitter they just said for people to push rim to release app world in their country. This sucks for those poeple in the other countries that want to talk to my GF on her iphone from their bb.

I don't understand, one of the key features is:
    "NO PINS OR USERNAMES. Why even bother having to remember yet another PIN or username? WhatsApp works just like SMS would work (via phone numbers) and it integrates with your the address book of your device."

why not just use text messaging? lol
    If the person is in the same country and you all have good txt plans then yes this is pointless. However if the person is in another country then this will avoid the international txt rates. This is also a lot better than txt as it is real time chat between bb's and iphones.
    01-30-10 12:54 AM
    This is useful because I have friends in other countries I like texting, but too bad the app doesn't work It doesn't refresh, citing 'Insufficient Network Coverage' when I have full bars
    01-30-10 02:16 AM
    I have a buggy beta on TCP/IP and I'm afraid to update it incase the TCP/IP support breaks!
    01-30-10 08:47 AM
    Do you guys notice that the battery life sucks? My 9700 used to last like 3 days, but its either whatsapp or where'smyphone that is bogging my battery down...
    01-30-10 01:27 PM
    Battery life is about he same for me, I think. BTW I reinstalled the program and resent my service books and it worked for me. The interface and contacts discovery is horrendous but it works alright
    01-30-10 11:05 PM
    you have a device that you can email,call,text, mms, and you want to pay extra to communicate
    01-30-10 11:22 PM
    Battery life is about he same for me, I think. BTW I reinstalled the program and resent my service books and it worked for me. The interface and contacts discovery is horrendous but it works alright
    UI re-write work has already begun.
    02-01-10 09:11 PM
    How many of you have this app?
    03-04-10 09:18 AM
    Where did it go? it's not on Mobihand anymore.
    03-04-10 08:25 PM
    Where did it go? it's not on Mobihand anymore.
    Did you bother checking their site? It's on AppWorld.
    03-04-10 11:51 PM
    Please bring it back to mobihand. Paid App World not supported in my country. sigh!
    03-22-10 10:33 PM
    Anybody else having problems getting the latest updated from app world?

After clicking upgrade it tells me that WhatsApp is not available for download from appworld. What gives?
    03-23-10 07:36 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD