Hey all!

I've dipped a toe in the android pond, the phone I bought has a "What's been using the battery" section in settings.
    It shows from worst to least what's been consuming juice-Screen 48%, android system 23%, voice calls 17%, tweetcaster 8%....etc.

I seem to still prefer my 9700 but would like to have access to this info-any app suggestions?

08-14-10 07:45 AM
    Think ya might be outta luck there. Android is Linux-based and is probably reporting CPU time spent by the various apps. BB is Java-based and you can measure stuff like that in a simulator, but don't see any way for a 3rd-party app to get it.

Not all apps will run in simulators, but many do. You could download a free simulator for your exact phone model & OS version, install your apps on it, and for each one measure memory used, and CPU time which would be a vague indicator of power used. There are other factors such as what it was doing with that CPU time, such as rendering graphics vs. accessing the network, and you could gather that info too though it's guesswork which one takes more power per time spent.
    08-14-10 08:09 AM
    Thx for the reply LSphone. The biggest thing holding me back from the switch is the battery life-I can *barely* get a day out of the Sony Ericsson X10, with a bunch of stuff disabled to conserve battery (gps/wifi, logging out of foursquare/facebook when not actively using them)

The 9700, with everything on, I had 64% battery left at bedtime last night.
    08-14-10 08:23 AM
    It's a miracle that these devices do anywhere near as well as they do, once you've seen all the inefficiency in how they run. A single screen refresh can involve a ridiculous number of functions, and scrolling, screen transitions, and animation are brutal on power consumption. If not for the software inefficiencies and iPhone-like behaviors, our batteries could be lasting twice as long.

If you want to save battery on a BlackBerry, figure out a way to block the ambient light sensor just under the status LED without blocking the LED or reflecting its light back to the sensor. That will stop your screen from turning up involuntarily to 200% whenever you're under moderate to bright lighting. I can't even sit at my desk with a single lightbulb on overhead without the phone turning the display up.
    08-14-10 09:46 PM
    I'm assuming that can be done in the engineering screens, but I'm not ballsy enough to try it lol.
    08-14-10 11:39 PM
    I'm assuming that can be done in the engineering screens, but I'm not ballsy enough to try it lol.
    What's the big deal? I use engineering screens everyday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 06:46 AM
    It is there. Shows all processes like a computer, with CPU %, and you can terminate processes.
    08-15-10 07:01 AM
    It would be nice if there was an app that just popped up the Engineering screen rather than having to find and then enter the values it wants. Not hard but just another fiddling waste of time and numeric keystrokes.
    08-15-10 08:49 AM
    What's the big deal? I use engineering screens everyday

Lol, I do too. I use the battery monitoring, mess with the gps and all that; and look at all kinds of stuff in there. But I haven't ever messed with the threshold values for the screen backlight , maybe I'm wrong but I don't want to accidentally turn it off permanently.

That would be an awesome app LS, but it sound like it's not gonna work huh?

08-15-10 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD