Greetings!

A couple of us here have started selling screensavers that pop up during charging so you can see the status from across the room and the phone looks cooler. Since we're both continuing to work on developments to compete and expand the concept, and there are no doubt others working on joining us as soon as possible, I thought it would be good to create one unified thread on this topic to find out what the users' ideal charging screensaver would be, without pushing any one product.

As the original poster I designate the purpose of this thread not to be the main (support/complaint/suggestion) thread for any particular app(s); the purpose is to discuss the ideal. It's fine to compare the ideal with what apps currently offer, or to compare apps with each other to better figure out the ideal, and also fine to talk about existing charging screensavers on other platforms such as iPhone.

This is just one place where everyone interested can discuss the ideal(s) that those of us writing these apps can draw from in our development. In the end, the users will have better phones, and it will also benefit the developers who are most willing to listen to the users and most capable of implementing what they want.

Thank you in advance for your input!
    09-23-09 05:21 AM
    I can't imagine much to improve your app, I Charge Cool, really.

I had asked for a few changes (brightness setting, digital clock), which you implemented in the next version.

Possibly user-customizeable colours with user-settable ranges? Currently, there are 3 colours (red, yellow, green) based on 3 ranges (which I don't know offhand).

If we could set our own ranges and colours, e.g.:

red = 0% - 20%
    yellow = 20% - 40%
    orange = 40% - 60%
    blue = 60% - 80%
    green = 80% - 100%

Possibly the ranges could be five (for 20% increments) or ten (for 10% increments) and the colours be either picked from a pre-defined set, settable by RGB values, or by a sliding colour scale.

Then again, this may be too much work for too little value. I am happy with the application as is. Although, the Happy Face must go! In all seriousness, perhaps an option to toggle the happy face would be the only suggestion I have. When the charge hits 100%, keep the display the same, and not have the happy face appear.
    09-23-09 11:55 AM
    There have been some nice suggestions in other threads, like imitating these...

... and someone sent me a few snapshots of some iPhone charging monitors that I can't find right now but are along photorealistic lines.

Personally, I think the one on the right looks great.
    Last edited by lsPhone; 09-23-09 at 01:01 PM.
    09-23-09 12:29 PM
    stormslider has the big battery pop up when charging like you see above and is really cool. also toysoft released an app with the big battery as well. personally i got all 3 and just switch when i get bored
    09-23-09 12:43 PM
    it would be cool to have a slide show of pictures that the owner would pic to roll through will charging.
    09-23-09 12:45 PM
    it would be cool to have a slide show of pictures that the owner would pic to roll through will charging.
    toysofts app lets you cycle threw you wallpaper collection
    09-23-09 12:47 PM
    What about a color-shifting mood light? I've always liked color shifters, but the problem is, I'm attached to the idea of the prevailing color of the display indicating the status -- it's faster to glance and see a color than to distinguish a graphic from 7 feet away. The LED can easily be made to show the status while the screen is a mood light, but that would nix notifications. Interspersing other notifications with battery status flashes would quickly become confusing, i.e. if it's alternating red and green, does that mean there's a message waiting and the battery is 100%, or the battery is 20% and coverage is fine?
    09-23-09 01:00 PM
    I'd say leave the LED alone, both for the reasons you'd mentioned, plus also some apps already do this (i.e. BerryBuzz).

As for the main display, perhaps the simplest really is the best. I must admit I like the simple, yet elegant look of the iPhone's battery display in the screenshot above. Perhaps you can include something similar as an optional display, that would be great!
    09-24-09 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD