In looking into Slacker's paid version, Slacker Radio Plus, their page says one of the benefits is Mobile Station Caching. It's described this way: "Cache your favorite Slacker stations on the memory card of your smartphone to listen without a network connection. Caching also greatly improves battery life."

What does that mean? And how does it work? And would you have to have an enormous memory card to use it?

Thx as always.
    03-27-11 08:07 PM
    It means you can create a station list and Slacker will download over wifi (if you choose) while charging overnight. It will load approx 100-125 songs for each station. A 2G card (as I use) will allow around 8-10 stations depending on how many other files you have on the disk. You can use the cached stations to listen while on a plane, or underground in a subway. It doesn't use data while playing those stations that are cached, either. Each time it refreshes a station, it will bring in new songs to mix things up. I found that over a few months the size of each station will increase and can cut into being able to add more. Periodically, I will delete the cached stations, clean out the files on the disk, then start fresh. It's a great feature, and for the 5 bucks a month, a pretty good deal. Oh, and no commercials either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rgorman; 03-28-11 at 08:25 AM. Reason: fixed some punctuation...
    BBMINI likes this.
    03-27-11 09:48 PM
    ^^ Thx for the reply and thorough explanation. Sounds like a pretty cool feature.
    03-28-11 05:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD