This seems to be such a huge deal and I feel left out, from what I understand it's a program that lets you make calls with video? Isn't the video camera on the back of our phones, how would you view someone else and also send them video of you?

You can share files, but can't we do this with our networks? I'm confused and info for a less techie like myself.
    03-24-10 12:39 AM
    03-24-10 01:07 AM
    Skype allows you to make calls over the internet, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). So you're making a call using your internet connection. The version on your phone, its essentially a mobile version of Skype. You will not be able to use video but you will be able to IM and makes calls over VZW's data network. Skype to Skype calls are free and unlimited...calls to land line or mobile is free but it uses your plan minutes (which is stupid to me) and international calls will cost you "Skype Credits" which have to be purchased online. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by supermario28; 03-24-10 at 12:00 PM.
    03-24-10 01:38 AM
    In addition to the excellent info from Supermario above, you asked don't you already have file transfer. Yes, you already have it, but Skype is not written for BlackBerrys, it is a desktop application for making VOIP calls and they have their own feature set that they wanted to offer, it has nothing to do with what various platforms already offer. Recently they started making clients available for mobile platforms. The advantage is you can call other Skype users free whether on PC, mobile, etc. and their security is much better than average.
    03-24-10 04:43 AM
    LMAO, how did you get that to that.
    03-24-10 08:54 AM
    03-24-10 03:04 PM
    LMAO, how did you get that to that.
    Go to Let me google that for you and enter your search and it will give you a URL link...
    03-24-10 04:03 PM
    Skype is a VoIP program that allows you to make calls using the internet instead of the traditional phone system of olden days, of which even the most high-end cell phones are still subject to.

My personal speculation is the addition of skype was partially to prepare for LTE (which most assume will use some sort of VoIP solution) and partially to nullify the whole "Ha! You can't talk and browse at the same time on CDMA!" argument.

It also allows the end-user *some* control of call quality, as depending on location and how busy the network is, they may actually get a better experience on VoIP in some situations, or may even be able to use it as a workaround for the relatively rare occasion that the 1xRTT network is too busy to take anymore calls. (Such as on New Year's Eve or when there's a huge concert or ball game in town or such. Would be easier if the extra traffic could be handled by the EVDO stuff rather than having to park a bunch of CoWs outside.)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 03-24-10 at 05:08 PM.
    03-24-10 05:06 PM
    This seems to be such a huge deal and I feel left out, from what I understand it's a program that lets you make calls with video? Isn't the video camera on the back of our phones, how would you view someone else and also send them video of you?

You can share files, but can't we do this with our networks? I'm confused and info for a less techie like myself.
    ok, firstly it is THE brand that is used for VOIP Voice Over Internet (Protocol)

It was bought over by ebay and is worth an estimated $2billion usd.

(example) calls between UK and US are routed from the SKYPE server in UK through the internet and into the SKYPE server in the US.

How do you connect to a skype server?

1 through your pc with SKYPE software. This goes through your broad band connection.
    2 Through a usb phone connected to your pc
    3 Through a phone connected to your home router.
    4 Through a Skype box (not your pc) you plug your normal telephone into your skype box.
    5 ISKOOT This lets you connect to the skype server through your mobile phone as a phone call. NOT DATA. It is considered a phone call and is charged as a local call. But if you have an unlimited landline mobile package, it is free.
    6 On CLIENT software that connects through wifi with your mobile phone. This client software connects to skype but also other chat servers eg: msn messenger.
    7 Skype-to-go is a service similar to discount calling cards where you call a number before you dial. It has speed-dials that you can set up online. you get a skype-to-go number for each country you call OUT from. It is free and you use credits. Skype uses credits or unlimited pay monthly fee.
    8 You can get a SKYPEIN number which is a ''local number'' in any country you choose. Live in the US but get a Local number in the uk, so when i call you with my uk mobile i can use my minutes and not pay for international dialling fees. nb, it is not a free service
    As you can see, there are at least eight ways to connect to skype.

and when you call a landline or mobile, the call goes from the skype server to mobiles and landlines, not just to pcs and smartphones.

Businesses also use skype to replace their PBX (internal office phone lines)

Yes you can send files, chat and files and do video chat.
    But it is much more... You can record your calls for training purposes, you can do video conferencing, they even have language and distant learning from Skype video calls and prerecorded skype videos. Security purpose as well. Think remote home surveilence.
    03-24-10 07:07 PM
    As a few other people said.........but im not going to do the search for you. Google is your friend.
    03-25-10 11:00 AM
    As a few other people said.........but im not going to do the search for you. Google is your friend.
    Never wanted you search anything for me, was looking for your own opinion. Thanks for the nothing.

Thanks to everyone else you cleared everything up, what are skypes fees?
    03-25-10 11:58 AM
    In my earlier Post i mentioned ISKOOT skype client.

In the UK, 3mobile is offering ISKOOT without any charges (you only pay your skype credits).

I believe verizon in the US is doing the same thing with the ISKOOT ckype client.
    This means that the skype calls from you to the skype server will be a normal phone call meaning much much better call quality.
    03-25-10 02:27 PM
    Let's try to keep it friendly folks. Google notwithstanding, the OP asked a valid question. Keep your posts informative, or move along.

I've cleaned the thread up, reopening in the hopes we can play nice.
    03-26-10 09:36 AM
    Lets see sype on the computer you can video chat, skype on the phone you just talk, so I dont see the need for skype on a berry, why not just call the persons phone
    03-26-10 12:05 PM
    ...why not just call the persons phone
    Because if you can use skype it will not use your monthly minutes.
    03-26-10 12:10 PM
    Because if you can use skype it will not use your monthly minutes.
    what if you have unlimited monthly minutes
    03-26-10 02:22 PM
    Lets see sype on the computer you can video chat, skype on the phone you just talk, so I dont see the need for skype on a berry, why not just call the persons phone
    Think bigger.
    Yes you can do international calling for $$$ on your blackberry, but if you use skype, it's free/much cheaper. Here in the UK, there is no google VOICE so we have to use skype.

Anyway i have skype/iskoot on 3mobileuk and they won't let me make uk to uk calls. But i always use it to call France and Malaysia.

Many People have skype and not a blackberry. How are you going to instant message them with bbm when they do not have a berry but have skype?

Many businesses use skype too, so you have no choice but to message uppermanagement with skype even though you have a blackberry.
    03-27-10 06:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD