If I already am getting my gmail pushed to my BB through my BB email program why have a third party app?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 10:38 AM
    If I already am getting my gmail pushed to my BB through my BB email program why have a third party app?

Welcome to the boards!

I thought the same thing, but I think it allows for the device to see the virtual folders you create. Basically it makes integration between the device and the web version more seamless.

I am not completely sure.
    09-29-09 10:42 AM
    The biggest draw to the app over the BIS is the ability to close the program and stop receiving emails at will. You also have contacts look-up, drafts, the ability to look up folders, etc.
    09-29-09 10:44 AM
    Its great for BES users. Company email is pushed to the BB Inbox. GMail is in the app.
    09-29-09 10:46 AM
    Little features in comparison to the non-third party...so you have two options...I haven't downloaded gmail app...
    09-29-09 10:46 AM
    09-29-09 10:47 AM
    does anyone have any knowledge or has successfully installed the 5.0 OS for storm 9500? cant seem to do it and really wanting to see if its worth keeping on my phone
    09-29-09 10:57 AM
    Bpowell. Not trying to flame but you will probably find your answer if you post in the storm forum.

09-29-09 11:04 AM
    Another advantage to having the gmail app installed is that if you need to look up an old email, if it's available on gmail's server, you can get it using the app, even if it has aged out of your BB inbox because of memory constraints.
    09-29-09 07:02 PM

Archival retrevial. You likely delete your emails from your pushed Blackberry folders. If you want an old email, it's available in the Gmail app.

I also have two Gmail accounts. My primary Gmail account is one that I give to important people and get email from that address pushed to my 8900. Then I have a second Gmail account that I give to people who I don't take so seriously. That Gmail account doesn't get pushed to my Berry. With the Gmail app, I can switch back and forth between accounts effortlessly. The important stuff still gets pushed to my BlackBerry and all the dumb joke emails from some of my lame co-workers just go to the other email address which I can look at on the Gmail app.

I really love the functionality of the Gmail app. Google rocks.
    09-29-09 09:53 PM
    Besides the reasons mentioned already, you have access to your trash folder. If you accidentally delete a message, you can access the trash folder and restore it to the inbox.
    09-29-09 10:44 PM
    Archival retrevial. You likely delete your emails from your pushed Blackberry folders. If you want an old email, it's available in the Gmail app.

I also have two Gmail accounts. My primary Gmail account is one that I give to important people and get email from that address pushed to my 8900. Then I have a second Gmail account that I give to people who I don't take so seriously. That Gmail account doesn't get pushed to my Berry. With the Gmail app, I can switch back and forth between accounts effortlessly. The important stuff still gets pushed to my BlackBerry and all the dumb joke emails from some of my lame co-workers just go to the other email address which I can look at on the Gmail app.

I really love the functionality of the Gmail app. Google rocks.
    Same for me too!

09-29-09 11:54 PM
    I subscribe to a mailing list that sends out a bunch of e-mails daily. I had it set up in GMail to automatically label these and archive in a folder so I can read them at my leisure and not clog up my inbox. When I had my GMail account set up to send to my blackberry (not the app), it wasn't putting those list e-mails in their folder, they were clogging up my inbox. Using the GMail app has completely solved this problem.
    09-30-09 08:46 AM
    Even though it seems like a lot of people use it for archives all that info is available on the mobile gmail web site so if that's the only advantage why tie up memory on your BB?

09-30-09 09:21 AM
    Also as far shutting the app it seems that google is integrating push into its app so I don't know if that will last so long.

09-30-09 09:25 AM
    Even though it seems like a lot of people use it for archives all that info is available on the mobile gmail web site so if that's the only advantage why tie up memory on your BB?

It depends on what model BB you have. If you have a Tour (or anything newer as they come out this fall), tying up a bit of memory isn't an issue. For older BBs, it depends upon how important it is to have access to archived email.
    10-02-09 09:34 AM
    You can search old email with the new enhanced gmail plugin. I tried the gmail app and found it quite slow on my 8320. Might be faster on newer models.

10-02-09 09:55 AM
    berryite and cdf3

You don't need 2 Gmail accounts to screen messages. You can do this with just 1 email account. You just need to use the filter functions to control what get pused to your BB.

You can filter by emails, subject, or contents, etc.
    10-02-09 04:07 PM

You can delete mail from your BB, and it will still be available on the web, so you can view it later without it taking up any memory from the BB.
    10-02-09 10:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD