Hi guys. I've been a lurker here for a while. I'm a long-time embedded software engineer and a recent BlackBerry convert with the Storm.

I'm looking to dive into some application development for the Storm and I'd like to get some insight into what kind of applications you'd like to see.

I'm planning to start with something relatively simple. Any thoughts are appreciated.

To help save lives, how about a portable 911 function on Blackberry Storm that sends a message to 911 center with location if the phone (and the person) is involved in an accident. Once loaded on the phone and exposed to a jarring incident as determined by simple software it might also send basic information about the owner, phone number, emergency alerts, blood type, etc.. Once activated by sudden impact, the phone will sound an alarm for 60 seconds to notify the owner at which time they can cancell the 911 alert if desired. Otherwise after 60 seconds, sends 911 alert. It might save a life if the occupant can't respond and others are not aware of the accident. All rights reserved. Probably all ready in a patent description somewhere...
    01-07-09 10:43 PM
    The T-Mobile G1 has an app that looks up bar codes then tells you where to buy the item .This would be a cool one to make for the Storm
    01-07-09 10:54 PM
    I know there's a full screen caller id app, but it's SO **** UGLY, do you think you could make a nicer one? I'd totally pay for an app that gives full screen caller id with that iPhone sexy style. Here's a pic I threw together to illustrate what I mean. Basically just blowing up any photo to fill, then towards the bottom, have a semi-transparent black box with white text. That means you could use any photo and you wouldn't have to worry about not having the text readable. You'd have to make it so only the hard buttons would answer/ignore a call, but once the call is connected it could go back to the "call in progress" screen with all the soft buttons available. If you can make this I WILL BUY IT :P
    01-07-09 11:00 PM
    How about a typing assist that would display the highlighted character, possibly in a small box at the upper-right screen corner? This is the character that would be "typed" when you click the screen. It's also the character that you can't (currently) see because it's under your thumb.

YES YES YES!! This is the one! I can't see with my big thumb over the letter. Blue highlight just isn't working. I like the storm alot, but this its major weakness... something similar to iphone where the letter you are hovering on appears in a box above your thumb. Storm users everywhere would be very grateful for this app.
    01-07-09 11:17 PM
    I know there's a full screen caller id app, but it's SO **** UGLY, do you think you could make a nicer one? I'd totally pay for an app that gives full screen caller id with that iPhone sexy style. Here's a pic I threw together to illustrate what I mean. Basically just blowing up any photo to fill, then towards the bottom, have a semi-transparent black box with white text. That means you could use any photo and you wouldn't have to worry about not having the text readable. You'd have to make it so only the hard buttons would answer/ignore a call, but once the call is connected it could go back to the "call in progress" screen with all the soft buttons available. If you can make this I WILL BUY IT :P
    I agree. I don't understand why with all that screen space RIM didn't allow for the photo IDs to be bigger. Even like half screen would have been better than those tiny pictures.
    01-07-09 11:19 PM
    is there a way to download youtube videos right to the storm?
    01-07-09 11:27 PM
    That's a pretty sweet mock-up... I would also suggest that the app only display in portrait mode.
    01-08-09 12:21 AM
    There is an app on the iphone that picks a place for you to eat after selecting what type ie.mexican,Italian of food u want
    That would be awesome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 12:36 AM
    Kinda late to the party, but I would like to have GPS control whther the Storm rings or vibrates. I want it to ring when I'm at home but vibrate when I'm at work, for example, without me having to change it manually.
    Neat idea. Another way you could do this with less taxing on the battery is to set it on a time schedule. Example : go to vibrate mode between 9:00am-5:00pm.

01-08-09 12:59 AM
    I would like to see a Pedometer app that utilizes the storm's accelerometer and possibly GPS. I bet an app like that would sell well.
    01-08-09 01:06 AM
    I'd like a decent RSS reader. Podcast capabilities would be a bonus.
    I second that.
    01-08-09 01:51 AM
    Whats going on in this thread? seem the OP hasn't posted since his first post....
    01-08-09 02:20 AM
    1)TV remote
    2)Winamp app that can play shoutcast radio
    3)Shazam app...(iphone app that identifies the song by placing it next to the phone) shazam.com/music/web/pages/iphone.html
    4)Guitar chord and scales app
    5)Guitar tuner app

i'll think of some more later

Thanks and have fun

p.s. If you dont make anyone of these...I won't feel hurt..I still appreciate your efforts in creating an app for us though.
    01-08-09 02:50 AM
    Whats going on in this thread? seem the OP hasn't posted since his first post....
    Maybe Santa's Elves are busy creating apps...
    01-08-09 03:42 AM
    Have to go with the area code app....knowing where a number is calling from is huge...

01-08-09 06:29 AM
    What i would like to see

-Beetbox app
    -Drawing app (like paint on the computer)
    -TV!
    01-08-09 06:30 AM
    That's a pretty sweet mock-up... I would also suggest that the app only display in portrait mode.
    YES... or a portrait or landscape lock. Can be automatically be overridden in keyboard mode (so you can still switch keyboards.)

That home screen switch depending upon the phone's orientation is the only thing I really hate about the phone.
    01-08-09 07:46 AM
    free led light changer for sms/email/voice mail that doesnt run through your battery
    01-08-09 08:27 AM
    I need a checkbook register. I don't carry my checkbook with me but I carry a check card and phone where ever I go. Need to keep track off my purchases with a digital interface on the blackberry!

You already have that, sort of. In Excel you can download various checkbook templates, simply email one of them to your Storm, save it and use "Sheet to go to make your updates"
    01-08-09 09:52 AM
    I would love an app that would automatically split your SMS message into separate messages if you exceeded the 160 character limit of a SMS.

01-08-09 02:36 PM
    just curious...

when will the "giant cashew" announce which app will be his first work?
    01-08-09 03:51 PM
    any kind of sports app where I can check the scores, standings, stats of the major sports. Also, it'd be nice for the app to update the in game of baseball games.

Plus other sports for people who like all different kinds of sports.
    01-08-09 05:15 PM
    i could be wrong, but i dont think RIM has made the keyboard interface stuff available, so no 3rd party keyboard programs....

those of you looking for dial by face, there are a few options... phoneface has released a storm version... and then there is the home-grown hit that dial (face) in the 3rd party apps section...

so cherio! thanks for the future programs, giant cashew
    01-08-09 05:27 PM
    Giant Cashew -- sign me up for that beta testing when its signed!! Thanks for all the help so far!
    01-08-09 06:00 PM
    Giant Cashew, I sent you a PM with a question on developing for the Storm.

something that would lock out the orientation switching would be nice to have and set as a convenience key
    01-08-09 06:33 PM
239 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD