Hi guys. I've been a lurker here for a while. I'm an embedded software engineer and a recent BlackBerry convert with the Storm.

I'm looking to dive into some application development for the Storm and I'd like to get some insight into what kind of applications you'd like to see.

I'm planning to start with something relatively simple. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Giant Cashew; 01-10-09 at 06:04 PM.
    01-06-09 04:33 PM
    Well, I have always wanted some sort of news app that lets me choose my source.

Sure there is the AP app for the storm, but i just dont like the AP news.
    01-06-09 04:38 PM
    I really really really would like one that recognizes area codes and displays the state or even cities of incoming phone calls from people that aren't on your contact list. It helps in trying to identify who is calling you..
    01-06-09 04:39 PM
    The killer app would be one that can take all of the feeds from Facebook/twitter/tumblr and other social networking sites and display them in one logical location rather than hoping between apps and websites.

I know this would require a lot of effort but that's what I would like.
    01-06-09 04:42 PM
    A Vib and Ring app that costs less than $8 would be ideal.
    01-06-09 04:47 PM
    I'd like a decent RSS reader. Podcast capabilities would be a bonus.

Also a mapping application that can access topo maps would be nice, but that's a pretty big request.
    01-06-09 05:01 PM
    First off I'd like to say thank you, it's nice to have talented people like you here.

A small app I'd like to have is one that allows more control over the back light. For instance I have an app like this for my Nokia 810. With this app I can adjust the back light from 0-100% in 1% increments. At a low setting it does wonders to the battery life. For me the Storm back light in a dark room is too bright even at the lowest 10% setting.

Thanks for your consideration

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 05:05 PM
    First off I'd like to say thank you, it's nice to have talented people like you here.

A small app I'd like to have is one that allows more control over the back light. For instance I have an app like this for my Nokia 810. With this app I can adjust the back light from 0-100% in 1% increments. At a low setting it does wonders to the battery life. For me the Storm back light in a dark room is too bright even at the lowest 10% setting.

I agree to this, I have to cover my phone at night because it is way to bright.

Thanks
    01-06-09 05:15 PM
    I'd love an application that a user can assign to a side key that pulls up a 3x4 grid of blank boxes that they can select and assign to a contact with their own picture. Preferably it won't use the BB Contact pictures since they're so small, and will let a user import their own pictures (say like 75x75px) filling the screen with the 12 contacts would be perfect.

Upon clicking on the face of the desired contact it brings up a dialogue box allowing you to "Call (Home, Mobile)" and "SMS".
    01-06-09 05:23 PM
    It has to be said... a working o.s.?
    01-06-09 05:29 PM
    I'd like a decent RSS reader. Podcast capabilities would be a bonus.
    viigo. theres your answer. and they are working on the podcast bit.
    01-06-09 05:37 PM

wow - good idea.
    01-06-09 06:02 PM
    I would like to see more fun apps. Like the lightsabre app etc. I know a bit gimmicky. But hey storms are meant to be fun

01-06-09 06:11 PM
    viigo. theres your answer. and they are working on the podcast bit.
    Gotta say I wasn't real pleased with Viigo. It ran like *** on my phone, not very smooth at all and seemed to suck up a lot of memory. I did like that I could add/remove feeds from a website. I think it's still in beta, so I haven't given up on it all together.

Either way, having options is a good thing!
    01-06-09 06:20 PM
    A simple app would be a dedicated bluetooth on/off.

@6:25
    01-06-09 06:38 PM
    Gotta say I wasn't real pleased with Viigo. It ran like *** on my phone, not very smooth at all and seemed to suck up a lot of memory. I did like that I could add/remove feeds from a website. I think it's still in beta, so I haven't given up on it all together.

Either way, having options is a good thing!
    I was in love with Viigo.... until I realized it sucked my memory like a kid with a lollipop. I would have to do 2 battery pulls a day just to stay within functioning range. As soon as I deleted it, BAM my memory DOUBLED!!

Anyone have suggestions on something like Viigo, but not so bad on memory?

**My bad, I got interrupted while typing and forgot the main topic of this thread! Sorry.

I would like a new app, like Viigo, but simpler, and less draining. That's probably complicated though, and I don't have a Storm anyway... but if you ever get into Curve apps, that's my vote.
    Last edited by phishgirl3; 01-06-09 at 06:47 PM. Reason: I'm dumb.
    01-06-09 06:45 PM
    a wallpaper shuffling app

one that will scroll through (or shuffle) a set of user defined backgrounds. it would be good allow settings for how long it stays on 1 background.

edit: just saw one of these further down in the forum. i'm an *****
    01-06-09 06:57 PM
    A very simple Today screen worked into the normal home screen, I just need tasks and upcoming calendar events, nothing too fancy- similar to Winmo.
    01-06-09 07:00 PM
    Bouncing bo... oh already done.

I would really enjoy a Calendar App that alerts you on your home screen on the phone.

Also, something silly -- a painting app where you can drag your finger and make little pictures would be a lot of fun.
    01-06-09 07:15 PM
    I was wondering about this last night...

Would it be possible to create an app that when the Alarm Clock goes off it flashes a message (or scrolls across the screen over and over. I work as a flight medic and often have to set the alarm for various times> Whether it's to come in for the shift or relieve someone early or something. It would be handy to look at the screen and see a scrolling message like "HEY, GET UP BUTTHEAD. YOU HAVE TO RELIEVE KENNY EARLY THIS MORNING". lol I just sometimes have a tendency to hit the snooze on autopilot, and seeing a message may give me pause..

Was just wondering if this was possible...

Thanks for your help either way though.
    01-06-09 07:27 PM
    i would like to see urban spoon type app........im a iphone hater so dont say go buy an iphone.........i always like going out to eat new places so this would be great
    01-06-09 07:31 PM
    I'll tell you what would be UBERsexy and POSEtastic - an app that on receiving a new text SMS/MMS, checked the sender and if it recognized them from the contacts list... alerted you by saying 'incoming text from <contact name>'

Now THAT would r0x0rz my b0x0rz!
    01-06-09 07:36 PM
    Hitting enter would send a text like bb messenger does
    01-06-09 07:52 PM
    Would love a device management utility. Something that would show apps open, memory used by each, disk usage. It should allow apps to be closed, memory cleaned, files moved/renamed/deleted. another nice feature would be the ability to assign an icon to folders we create...

Simple but very helpful. Could prevent alot of battery pulls.
    01-06-09 08:09 PM
    I would like to see a City CID app that worked on the storm. As well as a guitar chord app with a tuner built in
    01-06-09 08:13 PM
239 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD