I did a search and couldn't find my answer can somebody help me out? also, is bolt another browser you can download for the storm? if so, what is that one like? thanks!
    01-25-09 05:13 PM
    bump.............
    01-25-09 05:24 PM
    Don't have a storm, but can't you get opera mobile instead? I'm led to believe its more independent than Opera mini but maybe I'm wrong.

I like opera for its consistent rendering. Its just like a pc browser but without awful flash banners and pop-ups.

However, opera mini is not a real web browser:

Opera Mini requests pages from Opera servers. The Opera servers request your page from the web and then compresses it for Opera Mini. When they compress the pages, they remove scripts, animations and errors: Everything becomes static.

Some functions are lost. The upshot is that the layout is rendered by Opera servers and is bulletproof.

The opera solution has been copied numerous times but the copies fade away and people forget they ever existed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 08:13 PM
    Oh, and there is a setting for mobile or desktop rendering mode.

The desktop mode looks better. The downside is that when you make changes to the page, such as entering text, Opera Mini sends that text to the server and the whole page is reloaded before you can formally submit your text to the website. Confusing eh?

Sorry, I cannot comment on the others because I don't bother with them

01-25-09 08:18 PM
    So Opera is that good? I've tried it before, but I really like the Native browser...

01-26-09 07:38 AM
    I don't use the native browser because its not actually free.

The native browser/email require RIM data plan. In other words, the native browser/email have a subscription charge.

do you know what happened in 1995 when desktop browser/email went free and others were paid for?

You might spin this some other way, but that is my view on things
    Last edited by flop; 01-26-09 at 08:11 AM.
    01-26-09 08:09 AM
    that's like like saying hotmail isn't free because you need an internet connection to use it. if you're gonna use the internet on your phone it makes sense that you need a data plan
    01-26-09 03:07 PM
    BB plans basically cost the same as data plans...

OM works great for large pages that task the BB browser (tons of images, javascript).

Also means you technically have a security issue between the connection between OM and the OM server. So for some sites I would just use the BB browser.
    01-26-09 03:11 PM
    What do you mean by data plan? As I see it the BB data plan is the only data plan.

The providers want extra for BB data plan, my emphasis.

I am not actually paying atm because its free offer, but I intend to pay 0.02p/kb

01-26-09 04:52 PM
    You don't need both an unlimited data plan and a BB data plan.

BB data plans have unlimited data, so it's not really an additional expense.
    01-26-09 04:56 PM
    You don't need both an unlimited data plan and a BB data plan.

BB data plans have unlimited data, so it's not really an additional expense.
    By my calculations, 0.02p/kb translates to roughly 5/month. Admittedly, this is a guess and will remain trial & error for some time.

However, there are no BB Plans for anything like 5/month. Infact, a typical BB plan is something like +15/month on top of your existing bill. It is all additional costs and they justify it because they pay fees to RIM/BlackBerry.

Contract deals are around 30/month, I think. Of course, if my numbers are wrong or if there are somethings I have miss-judged, then I'll hold my hands up. It's just that the adverts provided to me by the service providers do not sound competitive.
    Last edited by flop; 01-26-09 at 05:12 PM.
    01-26-09 05:01 PM
    Depends on which carrier you're talking about then.

AT&T:
    PDA unlimited data plan = $35 a month
    BB unlimited data plan = $35 a month

Not to mention you can use the BB hotspot browser through wifi, which doesn't even require a BB plan at all.
    01-26-09 05:05 PM
    Is that contact?

Maybe it's not possible to make direct comparisons between US and UK pricing schemes.

All I can say is that I'm not on a contract. If I stop using it tomorrow, I pay nothing. I use PAYG and its currently free for trial, but I hope to make it cost 5/month in the long run. Both Orange and O2 offer PAYG BB Plans but they are relatively expensive.

I think O2 works out at 20/month (10/month basic +10/month for BB data)
    01-26-09 05:16 PM
    Well the original poster is using verizon, so I doubt it really matters as most of the carriers in the US do month to month billing.
    01-26-09 05:21 PM
    well yeah, and I was making a generalisation. Just saying that Opera/Skyfire/Bolt might have an economic advantage over the BB Browser. also, if more people discussed this then service providers might think about it and address their peculiar pricing..
    01-26-09 05:40 PM
    Use the hotspot browser if you want a BB plan free browser and security.

Otherwise you can opt for OM/Skyfire/Bolt. I just don't particularly trust them with important financial information/etc since everything is routed through their server first.
    01-26-09 05:52 PM
    What do you mean by data plan? As I see it the BB data plan is the only data plan.

The providers want extra for BB data plan, my emphasis.

I am not actually paying atm because its free offer, but I intend to pay 0.02p/kb

you can use any data plan with a BB, you just can't have push email and standalone IM apps like yahoo. the internet works, and most apps that connect to the internet work with any data plan.

if you pay per kb you'll find that you'll rack up quite a large bill, I don't know how they do it over there but here I get a 5mb data plan for 9.99 on my prepaid... which is a big ripoff but it's the best that my carrier offers.

IMO asking extra for the BB data plan is reasonable, with unlimited internet and access to push email.
    01-26-09 10:51 PM
    Doesn't the insane compression of the BB network reduce data usage anyways?
    01-26-09 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD