What are some apps that are confirmed to be using BIS for their internet access? I have installed twitter and google talk from the app area from blackberry. Both are made BY rim them selves, yet I only see a service record for twitter and not google talk. Does that imply google talk will use normal data? If that is the case, why would a RIM designed software not use BIS (their own system) ?

Thanks.
    11-11-11 08:16 PM
    Everything uses carier data unless you're connected via WiFi, regardless of whether the connection is BIS or direct TCP/IP. And as far as I know, Google Talk uses BIS. No, there's no service book.
    11-11-11 09:16 PM
    Yes, what I mean when I say "carrier data" is non-BIS traffic. I read official pages talking about third party apps can use BIS but they have to get authorization to use it. Is there some kind of list or something? There must be some kind of way to pick apps that will use BIS rather than nakid non-BIS data.
    11-12-11 02:30 AM
    I have a similar question to this.

Is there a way to tell apps TO USE carrier data instead of BIS data?

I get unlimited BIS and carrier data.
    11-29-11 12:31 PM
    I have a similar question to this.

Is there a way to tell apps TO USE carrier data instead of BIS data?

I get unlimited BIS and carrier data.
    BIS is carrier data; carrier data is BIS. When your sending/receiving data over BIS, you are getting popped for carrier data. The only time you aren't popped for carrier data is when you are connected via WiFi.
    11-29-11 08:18 PM
    BIS is carrier data; carrier data is BIS. When your sending/receiving data over BIS, you are getting popped for carrier data. The only time you aren't popped for carrier data is when you are connected via WiFi.
    I think there is a terminology issue here. At the bottom of the stack, you are of course using either the carrier's data link or you are using WiFi. And if you are using the carrier's data, bits are bits, and you are subject to any caps on your data plan, regardless of what protocol you use. But I think the OP is asking about whether when a particular app opens a network connection, do they use BIS or MDS (i.e., BES) or direct TCP/IP. BIS and MDS are like a proxy that provides benefits like compression, encryption, and push functionality. Direct TCP/IP is, well, direct. You do not need to have a BIS or BES account for a direct TCP/IP connection, just a data plan with your carrier.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 11-30-11 at 01:32 PM.
    11-30-11 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD