Hey guys, I'm a developer looking for some ideas for Blackberry apps. What would you guys like to see/think would be useful for ~$1.00?

I understand this probably isn't the forum for this, but the developer forum is dead, and not really the best for drumming up ideas.

~Scott
    Last edited by spierce7; 06-23-10 at 09:46 PM.
    06-23-10 09:44 PM
    Not sure if you can do under a buck,
    Last.FM for CDMA/vzw streaming player. ( that actually works- none of the Last.FM players for BB work on CDMA)
    Xbox live application; at least ability to see what friends online and possible send message via Live.
    I'd love to see a XBMC or Boxie remote for wifi blackberry's.
    A wifi app similar to netstumbler, that can log Wifi AP's and geotag them.
    These are all availble on Android and Iphone, but not on BB. You'd capture the BlackBerry market for sure!
    06-23-10 09:53 PM
    An application to create and restore backup data to/from the SD card. It might even be nice it it could read/use the *.ipd files that Desktop Manager creates. Oh, and I would pay more than $1.00 for it. I'm sure many would.
    06-23-10 11:17 PM
    +1 on the restore/backup to the sd card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 11:48 PM
    Kinda surprised it doesn't already exist, but the Pre had a deal searching app. It had a list of most of the major deal sites and you pick which ones you want. Then you can setup keyword searches and an update interval and it shows you the matches.

For reference they charged about $3-4

06-23-10 11:58 PM
    I would like a calculator that shows every digit that has been typed in. Is this called a tape roll calculator? Example...when doing a lot of math its helpful to see all 10 numbers I've put in to be sure nothing was missed.

06-24-10 01:54 AM
    An irc client for BB. Maybe based off jmirc...

A tv guide app, that will either alert you for shows you wanna watch, or just add them to the bb calender.

06-24-10 02:37 AM
    Last.FM app would be great. As well as Wifi geotagging app that can automatically turn on your wifi radio when you're in range.
    06-24-10 03:08 AM
    An application to create and restore backup data to/from the SD card. It might even be nice it it could read/use the *.ipd files that Desktop Manager creates. Oh, and I would pay more than $1.00 for it. I'm sure many would.
    There's a free app like this in BlackBerry App World. It can backup and restore data to your SD Card. It can backup and restore Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Emails, Memos, etc.
    The application is in Beta. I removed it because it had issues backing up my calendar and tasks. My SD Card would also have errors after a reboot. After removing the app, I have not received any more errors.
    Perhaps an application like this that works well would be nice.

06-24-10 05:13 AM
    Automatically turning on wifi when its in range would be sweet. I was really surprised to find out that isn't standard on this device anyway!

06-24-10 07:11 AM
    What do you mean if wifi is on it picks up wifi over 3G automatically

06-24-10 07:16 AM
    I want an app that allows you rotate pictures and save them. None of the photo-editing apps that I've used can do that. It's a pain when you're trying to post pictures from your BB and they're sideways.
    06-24-10 08:35 AM
    Kinda surprised it doesn't already exist, but the Pre had a deal searching app. It had a list of most of the major deal sites and you pick which ones you want. Then you can setup keyword searches and an update interval and it shows you the matches.

For reference they charged about $3-4

You can kind of do that with Viigo.
    06-24-10 08:38 AM
    I want an app that allows you rotate pictures and save them. None of the photo-editing apps that I've used can do that. It's a pain when you're trying to post pictures from your BB and they're sideways.
    That would be nice.
    A work around for now would be to rotate the picture, then take a screen shot.

06-24-10 08:47 AM
    Not sure if you can do under a buck,
    Last.FM for CDMA/vzw streaming player. ( that actually works- none of the Last.FM players for BB work on CDMA)
    Xbox live application; at least ability to see what friends online and possible send message via Live.
    I'd love to see a XBMC or Boxie remote for wifi blackberry's.
    A wifi app similar to netstumbler, that can log Wifi AP's and geotag them.
    These are all availble on Android and Iphone, but not on BB. You'd capture the BlackBerry market for sure!
    I'd love a Last.FM and Xbox live application. They have an Xbox live app on android, but a Last.FM app would make my day.
    06-24-10 09:11 AM
    +1 for rotate and save pics...

here is another, put the large flip clock on the homescreen...or is this a theme rather than an app?..either way, i do NOT want to put glasses on to tell the time.
    06-24-10 09:15 AM
    maybe way out there, but a nice graphing calculator (TI-83) app would have really helped me out in high school.
    06-24-10 10:31 AM
    +1 for Last.fm With their Xbox integration, I jumped in full force and sorta left Pandora neglected. So my Last.fm account now has better taste than my Pandora one, but I can only get Pandora on my Blackberry

I would love some wifi management apps. In another thread I started here, the community seems to have discovered a few flaws in the wifi experience. Hotspot browser is apparently the best and fastest wifi browser, but if you leave your wifi range and have to use the carrier network, then you get a browser error message. Blackberry isn't smart enough to switch from Hotspot to Internet Browser. You have to do it manually and who wants to do that?

Another wifi app would be to turn on wifi based on your location. For example, I come home and in range of my home network but don't have wifi on because of battery drain. It would be great if you could tag a location to each wifi profile and turn on that profile based on your location. Perhaps it would run in the background, poll your location based on a set time (every 30 min, hour, etc.), then auto-switch to the right wifi profile and turn on the wifi radio.

I'm sure you could make some coin off the wifi apps, pretty universal appeal across all wifi enabled blackberrys.
    06-24-10 10:51 AM
    Ringer/Notification volume booster!
    06-24-10 10:57 AM
    SSH client
    06-24-10 10:57 AM
    a photo editor would be so great! Rotate, crop and even add b&w, sepia or do basic picasa type changes. Or even a video editor to be able to cut videos down and edit out what you dont like

a better xbox live account integration app would be nice too...

Dont know if any of these can go within the $1 range but they would definitely be nice to have
    06-24-10 11:30 AM
    The Blackberry platform desperately needs a wifi-router app. You know, like the android phones, palm pre/pixi, and windows mobile phones have where you can use the phones data connection as a wifi hotspot.
    06-24-10 11:30 AM
    what about a "smart bluetooth" just like smart wifi. =)

dont know how it would work but it would be nice for something like this to work similarly to smartwifi... again, I have no idea if its possible for an app to detect a paired device in range without using the actual bluetooth and its battery drain but hey, you never know
    06-24-10 11:36 AM
    An app that allows one to track packages from multiple carriers (UPS,FEDEX, DHL, etc) would take off like wild fire.
    06-24-10 12:12 PM
    Automatically turning on wifi when its in range would be sweet. I was really surprised to find out that isn't standard on this device anyway!

There are a couple apps that do this based on cell tower locations. Wifi Comrade is one.
    06-24-10 12:47 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD