I can understand your frustration on the sales issue especially after the paypal reduction.

Frankly, I probably go through 3,000 of those foods each evening!

I'm not sure how to handle exercise/activity. Their chart has Intensity (high,moder,low), time in minutes and weight.
    02-17-10 06:38 PM
    Frank,

I like the effort you've put into this program. I just sent payment in.

Albert
    02-17-10 11:27 PM
    Thanks Albert!

I have placed a new version I am testing with a lot of changes up in a new location until I have had more time to test it. Anyone who has purchased the app and wants to test it with me can download it as well. I have tested it and it does not corrupt any data.

It adds:
    Exercise tracking
    New info screen to set allowances
    You now need to add your weight before using the exercise portion

Fixes:
    Can't get negative points with high fiber numbers
    Fixed a bug with emails (also emails have now have the data as an attachment as well as in the body of the email)

Download from:
    http://www.kaediil.com/DietTracker.test/DietTracker.jad

-frank

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-18-10 12:14 AM
    Downloading now - will test in the a.m.
    02-18-10 12:44 AM
    Frank - Just found this thread and heading over to your app on the BB. I have such issues w/ the mobile app from a certain weight loss help group that I would definitely prefer to use your app and then transfer it over to my account there when I was actually sitting in front of a pc.

PS I will post the link to your site on my profile over there
    02-18-10 10:15 AM
    Downloading now - will test in the a.m.
    Still NEGATIVE results if you enter 25 as a fiber value. I think another result was off., too.

The Add to is still multiplying buttons if you change value.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 03:11 PM
    I'll check the fiber, I thought I fixed that. Yes I did not fix the button in that version. It is fixed for the next release tonight.

-frank

02-18-10 04:05 PM
    For your effort I just had to buy it !!

I see your point on the USDA database being a bear for routine listing. How easy/hard is it for the end user to copy out some it on the PC? I'm thinking that perhaps opening in Notepad and removing most of the entries except for what they use (or are likely to use) might get it down to a manageable 100 lines.
    Is the personally saved entries on this SD-card txt file? Is that where it goes to retrieve saved entries? Figurte I'd merge the UDA entries I want into my saved txt file, then expect those entries to show up in app when I retrieve saved entries.
    02-18-10 04:09 PM
    Ok, setting cal=0 and fat=0 with a fiber of 25 will get negative. In this case garbage in garbage out. I guess it should go no lower then 0 ever. But any other values the input from fiber is capped now.

Anyway, the button issue is already fixed and should go in tonight if I get time or tomorrow.

May also add some really experimental graphing tonight

-frank

02-18-10 04:12 PM
    For your effort I just had to buy it !!

I see your point on the USDA database being a bear for routine listing. How easy/hard is it for the end user to copy out some it on the PC? I'm thinking that perhaps opening in Notepad and removing most of the entries except for what they use (or are likely to use) might get it down to a manageable 100 lines.
    Is the personally saved entries on this SD-card txt file? Is that where it goes to retrieve saved entries? Figurte I'd merge the UDA entries I want into my saved txt file, then expect those entries to show up in app when I retrieve saved entries.
    The personally saved files are on your SD card and they are text files under Blackberry/DietTracker. I had that idea about letting people cut and paste but was very concerned about the additional support that would require. I mean if the user messes it up even one little bit, the software won't be able to parse it and you will lose all your saved foods because of how I save it.

-frank

02-18-10 04:17 PM
    I see your point - real eay to screw up the cut & paste and foul the app. Some years ago I used an identical WinMo app (not endorsed by that certain weight management entity) that did pretty much where you're going with this - but they did have the database as part of it. It took a bit of time to find your food and then add it to the very short list of saved foods and meals. I did find the ability to add several foods and save it as a named meal was useful.

It would be almost as fast to enter the food and points directly in the app from the USDA listing (or other sources).

When you get a chance, please send me the unlock code so I can look at the exercise module.
    02-18-10 04:29 PM
    Yeah. Sorry I am driving home right now. Typing only stopped at red lights. Should get it in 30 minutes or sooner if I can.

-frank

02-18-10 04:35 PM
    What's the value of the add "food w/o points" function if you can't later edit that entry to add the nutritional value? Whole point of WW is to know where you are in your day's allowance and budget your points.

Really need to be able to enter a food and points without calculation from calories, fat, fiber for those who know WW points or have a WW points table. I'd rather use that button on the home screen as "Food with points" to directly add a food with points, then save that entry to DB for later re-use.

(if it's not obvious, a lot of my work is system design qualification, so smack me if I start sounding like I'm re-writing your User Requirement Specifications )
    Last edited by dontfret; 02-18-10 at 05:39 PM.
    02-18-10 05:31 PM
    W/o points was for when you were out at a restaurant and did not know the info but wanted to remember it. I figured you would edit it on the computer later.

Can you tell I built this with no requirements? Originally I was not even going to do this at all and then I just did something and it has grown rather than being designed. So there is no rhyme or reason for some of it.

-frank

02-18-10 05:58 PM
    W/o points was for when you were out at a restaurant and did not know the info but wanted to remember it. I figured you would edit it on the computer later.
    Ah, so you assumed the user would export this to a txt file and import into Excel. But in reality the export as email/import is tedious, so I would probably use the app on the BB and only export periodically. Still want to enter points directly. I'll trade you that for the restaurant function
    I see the two txt files on the SD card - so am I correct that as they grow with use over time it has negligible impact on the performance of the app or BB??

A workaround to enter points would be to enter calories as (WW points x 50) with 0 fiber, 0 fat and let the calculator do its thing, but I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult for a man of your obvious programming talents to let the app allow entry of the points without the calculator front end rigmarole. You saw this as a calculator to determine points and added a db, I see this is a db with a calculator front end when you don't know the points value.

And you just thought this was just going to be a BB points calculator bbwwaaa - it's alive and growing
    Last edited by dontfret; 02-18-10 at 06:44 PM.
    02-18-10 06:35 PM
    On the performance- you will notice a performance hit to the loading of the app as the files grow in size. Hence the clear buttons. Those will empty the food and exercise database files respectively.

As you add more saved foods it will slow the app down loading as well. On the other hand it needs to grow to hundreds or more elements before it becomes noticeably slow to load. Once it is loaded you are fine until you add a new entry then it needs to write the file back out to the card. It will be interesting to see how long before it becomes too slow

-frank

02-18-10 06:59 PM
    Is this still being done under the .test version?

Or what version should we be looking for in downloading it?
    02-18-10 08:59 PM
    I have not uploaded a new version just yet. I am just sitting down to finish a few things and upload a new version if I don't fall asleep tonight first

Sorry, was up late working on it last night and I am dragging a bit tonight.

-frank
    02-18-10 09:14 PM
    On the exercise page, the last button is labeled 'clear saved foods'. When pressed, it does brings up the confirmation to clear exercise list, so it's just the button that needs re-labeling.
    Good night Frank ....
    02-18-10 10:22 PM
    Is there a way to add food w/ points? For many of the foods I eat, I already know the points, but this provides a convenient way to track my whole day.

Also, I sent payment via paypal. How do I then receive the paid version?

Thanks
    02-19-10 10:22 PM
    You will receive and email with the activation number.
    02-20-10 12:05 AM
    Is there a way to add a food for which I already know the points?
    02-20-10 08:08 AM
    Is there a way to add a food for which I already know the points?
    I have not looked at the db is creates but I think it is a text file. So you might be able to follow its format and do it manually.
    02-20-10 09:02 AM
    Basically most of the foods I eat I already know the point value. I want a way to track my daily points in the BB. I want it to tell me how many points I have left per day.
    02-20-10 09:57 AM
    The next version will have that capability. I'm hoping to get it out today.

-frank

02-20-10 10:48 AM
110 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD