Attention CrackBerry users! The Weather Network has been diligently working over the past months on an update to our popular WeatherEye application and would like your help for the final round of testing.

The version runs on BB OS 6.0 and higher. Supported devices are: 9300, 9700, 9780, 9800 and any other BB device upgraded to OS 6.0 or higher.

You must remove any previous WeatherEye installations prior to running this version.

The application makes use of the GPS coordinates and shows you the weather for where you happen to be, without needing to select the city, state etc. The feature is called �Auto Locate� and can be turned on or off from the main menu. You can also Add and Delete cities from the main menu directly, as well as, select if you want the city to show weather data on your home screen icon.

The developers will be monitoring this thread, so if you run into any issues, feel free to post them here or email them at [email protected] and we�ll respond promptly.

To download, simply point your Blackberry browser to this address: Betatesting Weather Eye

Thanks for your help!

The Weather Network
    05-03-11 01:46 PM
    @TWN

Hi there,

I've downloaded and installed WeatherEye but am receiving the following error message upon every attempt to start the app after filling out the demographics question: "Error running WeatherEye java.lang.NullPointerException".

Any suggestions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 08:01 PM
    @TWN

Hi there,

I've downloaded and installed WeatherEye but am receiving the following error message upon every attempt to start the app after filling out the demographics question: "Error running WeatherEye java.lang.NullPointerException".

I'm getting the same error, even after a reboot.
    05-04-11 01:50 PM
    Yep same error as above.
    05-04-11 01:56 PM
    I will be coming here as soon as you fix the issue. I actually installed Weather Eye this morning. hahaa.

Fix Uncaught please.
    05-04-11 02:01 PM
    @TWN

Hi there,

Any suggestions?

We are currently investigating this problem, and will post more information as soon as we find something.
    05-04-11 04:05 PM
    Actually this was my preferred weather app when I was running OS 5. The only reason why I stopped using it was in order to conserve app memory space after installing OS 6.

So as soon as there's a fix for this beta, I'll gladly use it again.

05-04-11 07:38 PM
    Downloaded & installed. Seems to be working fine.
    I like the interface significantly better than the old program. Very nice improvement.
    You should consider adding the current temperature to the homescreen icon like most other weather apps. Preferably current temp along with high/low for the day.
    05-05-11 10:03 AM
    I'm very much looking forward to installing this beta version. I've purchased BerryWeather (twice actually - both V1 & V2) and find that WeatherEye is always more accurate and the estimated amount of precip is extremely valuable to me.

> EDIT > No problems whatsoever with beta version. I'm wondering if those with issues have restarted to complete the delete (or if they just deleted the app which doesn't get deleted until restart) prior to installing.

>> EDIT 2 - Initial Observations - Looks very similar to the original except menu selection is on the blackberry key instead of scrolling across the bottom (and of course the subtle "beta" on all the forecast pages). All the same pages and weather information (which is good as I saw that as a strength). Auto-locate works very fast and well. Shortcut keys to different screens would be very helpful. I agree with jarp107 - showing current temp on icon and adding hi/low on the text when icon selected (or providing options as to what to show) would also increase the popularity of the app.
    Last edited by sheldonbk; 05-05-11 at 10:34 AM.
    05-05-11 10:08 AM
    I didn't have WeatherEye installed at all before installing the beta, so I don't think that is the issue in my case.
    05-05-11 10:37 AM
    Same here. Never had it installed prior to trying out this beta version, so I don't know why it isn't working for me. I even rebooted after installing it and it still isn't working. :-(

05-05-11 11:42 AM
    Very strange. Installed the beta on 2 different torch 9800's & they both worked fine. Then, on both phones, the app just stopped working. Clicking the icon did nothing.
    Uninstalled on one phone & re-installed. seems to be working ok again.
    05-05-11 12:13 PM
    I'd like to thank everybody that installed the beta! As with any early release, it's going to be a bumpy ride for a while, but we're working full time on making the best WeatherEye so far.

We've just uploaded a new update (version 2.4.3.6) on Betatesting Weather Eye . This update contains a stability fix, and it will also provide more info for the crash reported in this thread. When you get a popup "Error running WeatherEye..." it will also provide two lines of description: the first line will be what the app was doing when it crashed, and the second one gives technical info about the error. If you do get a crash again, please let us know here or using [email protected] - every little piece of information helps.

I would also like to thank posters sheldonbk and jarp107 for feature suggestions!
    05-05-11 12:28 PM
    The new version is worse for me:
    • Uninstalled previous version yesterday after getting the aforementioned error
    • Rebooted Bold
    • Installed new version today; made sure it's a trusted app/all permissions set to Allow
    • Opened app and entered demo info; app stuck on TWN splash screen and Bold is completely frozen
    • Did a battery pull
    • Opened app again; got same error as yesterday and closed app
    • Opened app again stuck on splash screen and Bold jammed
    05-05-11 12:53 PM
    The new version is worse for me:
    • Opened app again; got same error as yesterday and closed app
    You should now get additional info in the message box about the error. Let me know what it says when you see it again.

We're working on the splash screen freeze, we'll have a new version up in a few hours.
    05-05-11 01:29 PM
    i got an error downloading:

907 invalid cod
    05-05-11 01:52 PM
    i got an error downloading:

907 invalid cod
    We were probably in the middle of putting up a new version when you were downloading.

If you get any error during the download process, please go back on your browser until you see the jad file (showing app name, publisher, size, etc), use "refresh" from the browser menu, and click download again. That should fix it.

Are you running 6.0?
    05-05-11 02:41 PM
    New version (2.4.3.7) is up. Let me know if it fixes the splash screen freeze.

Betatesting Weather Eye
    05-05-11 02:57 PM
    I got the same error as yesterday.

As a side note, I uninstalled v 2.4.3.6 since it was useless to me. I noticed that 2.4.3.7 is posted and I just installed it. I get the same errors and freezing that I did with 2.4.3.6.
    TWN likes this.
    05-05-11 03:10 PM
    I got the same error as yesterday.

As a side note, I uninstalled v 2.4.3.6 since it was useless to me. I noticed that 2.4.3.7 is posted and I just installed it. I get the same errors and freezing that I did with 2.4.3.6.
    I can't reproduce the bug on our test BlackBerries, it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from.

We added even more debug info to a new release (2.4.3.8), hopefully it'll help us trace it.
    05-05-11 03:56 PM
    Does it work on Blackberry Style?

I can't reproduce the bug on our test BlackBerries, it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from.

We added even more debug info to a new release (2.4.3.8), hopefully it'll help us trace it.
    05-05-11 07:07 PM
    Does it work on Blackberry Style?
    It will work if you upgraded your OS to 6
    05-05-11 07:19 PM
    no go here
    stuck/hangs on weather network splash screen
    uncaught exception: pushmodalscreen called by a non-event thread
    bold 9700 os6 .448
    TWN likes this.
    05-05-11 08:34 PM
    I've uploaded a new version (2.4.3.9) that will hopefully fix the splash screen crash.

Betatesting Weather Eye
    05-06-11 09:25 AM
    Hmm...still no luck.
    After installing the update, I'm receiving the following error:
    Uncaught exception: push modal screen called by a non-event thread.

Doing a battery pull after installing the app hasn't made any difference either.

TWN likes this.
    05-06-11 09:40 AM
125 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD