I'm running the beta version on my Tour. Application appeared to be working fine yesterday, but I cannot even connect today and I'm not getting any updates either.

I checked to make sure I still had a data connection by accessing the internet via my BB and was able to connect w/o issue, so I don't believe it is an issue with my phone.

I wonder if Weatherbug is having some issues today?
    I haven't been getting updates for about 4 days now so I thought it was my phone.. I did a battery pull and changed around some settings but still no luck... who knows!
    01-26-10 08:03 AM
    Hey Mr.WeatherBug

Any plans to redraw the icons, I guess I'm just nitpicking here because I think weatherbug free is a good app...its just that I think the icons are really unrepresentitive, mainly the night fall ones. There doesnt seem to be an icon to show nightfall/ dusk.

- another feature would be if there were options to display descriptive forecasts on the screen e.g fog, snow, frost
    01-26-10 11:01 AM
    I would like to get an update to the ELITE version sometime this year!!
    02-06-10 12:53 PM
    I would like to get an update to the ELITE version sometime this year!!
    +1 for that! I really like the last version, except that it was slow and cumbersome by comparison to BerryWeather, and once they got the bugs out of that, I found it so much more responsive that I finally backed away from Weatherbug Elite. But I DO miss the features in Weatherbug Elite, and look forward to an update of the app -- really hoping it comes out soon, and once again raises the bar for weather apps.

Please let us know when we might expect to see this!
    02-06-10 06:28 PM
    +1 for that! I really like the last version, except that it was slow and cumbersome by comparison to BerryWeather, and once they got the bugs out of that, I found it so much more responsive that I finally backed away from Weatherbug Elite. But I DO miss the features in Weatherbug Elite, and look forward to an update of the app -- really hoping it comes out soon, and once again raises the bar for weather apps.

Please let us know when we might expect to see this!
    Hi,

Non-touch updates should be in the BlackBerry App World (version 1.1.0.xx):
    BlackBerry App World - WeatherBug Elite

The Storm should follow quickly.

Eddie
    02-09-10 04:17 AM
    Excellent update!!!!

Radar Map is fast. Hotkey shortcuts are awesome. . . just few things I noticed right away. Oh and the alert icon not covering the current conditions is a nice touch.

Very pleased.
    02-09-10 08:38 AM
    Excellent update!!!!

Radar Map is fast. Hotkey shortcuts are awesome. . . just few things I noticed right away. Oh and the alert icon not covering the current conditions is a nice touch.

Very pleased.
    +1. every he said i would've said too
    02-09-10 09:14 AM
    Eddie
    Good to get the update -- I've been looking forward to this.

Some early observations:

A number of the functions and screen navigation seem faster.

I still find screen navigation somewhat awkard, as the UI doesn't seem to follow any particular convention and is unique unto itself. I, personally, would find it more intuitive if the app always opened to the home screen (current conditions), and backing out out of any other screen would eventually bring you back to the home screen before asking if you wanted to quit. I've spent more time selecting "no" in response to the "do you want to quit" prompt than I would ever have expected.

I like the shortcut letter keys, but wondered then why the spacebar was designated to open the list of my locations (Locations could have been "L", for example, remaining consistent with all the other shortcuts).

If I don't have a good signal when I open the app, I'm out of luck as the app does NOT apparently cache the last lookups. That's disappointing, as I may be in an office building or train, not have a signal, but be curious about the most recent weather update. That's impossible for me to see with this app -- and a significant contrast with BerryWeather, which *does* cache the lastest lookup. With BerryWeather, if I don't have a signal on opening the app, I still get to see the most recent lookup for each location, still get to see the most recent advisories. As with Weatherbug Elite, I also see the time of the last reading. I personally find it very annoying to open the app and not be able to see ANY weather info if I don't have a current carrier signal.

Startup with GPS and "my location" seems extraordinarily slow, and makes the phone unusable for any other function -- seems to tie up the majority of the phone's resources. Maybe this was also because I was in a commuter train coming into NYC this morning when I rebooted the phone after installing the update. The GPS signal is poor from inside a train car, and the 8900 can take several minutes to get a lock. Just a shame that my entire phone seemed to be virtually paralyzed while I waited for this startup cycle to complete.

One of the reasons I wanted a weather app instead of using a mobile weather web page is that I cannot always be sure to have a usable signal -- and I want the most recent reading available on demand, whether or not I'm connected to my carrier. This immediately kills part of the usefulness of the app for me.

UI navigation is very personal -- but I would suggest that if you don't agree with my thoughts on this, you might consider getting a focus group together (or a couple of them), making sure you have representation from various groups such as: non-technical users, highly experienced blackberry users, etc. I would ask the group to consider UI navigation, and perhaps even go so far as to have them contrast the product's current UI navigation against something like BerryWeather.

I love the feature set on Weatherbug Elite, and would really love to like the overall experience more, I appreciate that work that's gone into this. However the UI simply doesn't work for me -- I can certainly "get used" to it, but that shouldn't be necessary. The resource usage at startup with "my location" turned on seems to be a major issue, as it makes my 8900 unusable for several minutes. Finally, the lack of cached weather readings, and the message "could not connect to Weatherbug" is really a shame, when competing projects are designed to simply show the most recent set of readings until the connection is available again.

I'm going to leave this running alongside BerryWeather once more to see how it all feels. But I have a feeling that I may wind up setting aside this latest release as well.

- Jon
    02-09-10 12:04 PM
    Sometimes when I use the radar animation the app locks up and closes or is VERY slow.
    02-09-10 04:06 PM
    Good to get the update -- I've been looking forward to this.

Some early observations:

A number of the functions and screen navigation seem faster.

I still find screen navigation somewhat awkard, as the UI doesn't seem to follow any particular convention and is unique unto itself. I, personally, would find it more intuitive if the app always opened to the home screen (current conditions), and backing out out of any other screen would eventually bring you back to the home screen before asking if you wanted to quit. I've spent more time selecting "no" in response to the "do you want to quit" prompt than I would ever have expected.

I like the shortcut letter keys, but wondered then why the spacebar was designated to open the list of my locations (Locations could have been "L", for example, remaining consistent with all the other shortcuts).

If I don't have a good signal when I open the app, I'm out of luck as the app does NOT apparently cache the last lookups. That's disappointing, as I may be in an office building or train, not have a signal, but be curious about the most recent weather update. That's impossible for me to see with this app -- and a significant contrast with BerryWeather, which *does* cache the lastest lookup. With BerryWeather, if I don't have a signal on opening the app, I still get to see the most recent lookup for each location, still get to see the most recent advisories. As with Weatherbug Elite, I also see the time of the last reading. I personally find it very annoying to open the app and not be able to see ANY weather info if I don't have a current carrier signal.

Startup with GPS and "my location" seems extraordinarily slow, and makes the phone unusable for any other function -- seems to tie up the majority of the phone's resources. Maybe this was also because I was in a commuter train coming into NYC this morning when I rebooted the phone after installing the update. The GPS signal is poor from inside a train car, and the 8900 can take several minutes to get a lock. Just a shame that my entire phone seemed to be virtually paralyzed while I waited for this startup cycle to complete.

One of the reasons I wanted a weather app instead of using a mobile weather web page is that I cannot always be sure to have a usable signal -- and I want the most recent reading available on demand, whether or not I'm connected to my carrier. This immediately kills part of the usefulness of the app for me.

UI navigation is very personal -- but I would suggest that if you don't agree with my thoughts on this, you might consider getting a focus group together (or a couple of them), making sure you have representation from various groups such as: non-technical users, highly experienced blackberry users, etc. I would ask the group to consider UI navigation, and perhaps even go so far as to have them contrast the product's current UI navigation against something like BerryWeather.

I love the feature set on Weatherbug Elite, and would really love to like the overall experience more, I appreciate that work that's gone into this. However the UI simply doesn't work for me -- I can certainly "get used" to it, but that shouldn't be necessary. The resource usage at startup with "my location" turned on seems to be a major issue, as it makes my 8900 unusable for several minutes. Finally, the lack of cached weather readings, and the message "could not connect to Weatherbug" is really a shame, when competing projects are designed to simply show the most recent set of readings until the connection is available again.

I'm going to leave this running alongside BerryWeather once more to see how it all feels. But I have a feeling that I may wind up setting aside this latest release as well.

- Jon
    Hi,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. The more feedback we get the better.

To comment on some of the feedback above:
    - Caching - look for this in the next release
    - Screen stacking - we are currently looking into added this into our application but are working out some of the details.
    - Locations use "Space"- the reason that locations use "Space" rather than "L" is because "L" is used as a quick key on the map. We didn't want to override this functionality. We could have changed the quick key on the map to another key but decided it was better to leave it for users that had already used the map with quick keys.
    - You can set the page the application launches to. If you prefer it always launch to the home page you can set this up in preferences.
    - The GPS functionality is highly dependent on your carrier and device. On most carriers we only support standalone GPS. On some (Sprint/Nextel) we support tower fixes. We are looking to improve our GPS functionality across new carriers but I don't have a timeline for these fixes.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-10-10 05:46 AM
    Sometimes when I use the radar animation the app locks up and closes or is VERY slow.
    Hi,

When this occurs do you get the hourglass?
    Are any errors surfaced?
    If this occurs again could you re-enter the application and send an error report to the developers (under the help menu option)?

Sending a report will provide some error information that we can use to debug the issue.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-10-10 05:48 AM
    I agree with the caching part but disagree with most else of what that reviewer said.

If I'm not mistaken, WB prides itself on "up to the second" weather data, which means that, unlike BW, it grabs updates each time you go to the 'Home' page. I'm not sure this functionality is really needed for a handheld weather app. Updates every X minutes (specified in 'options'), unless I manually update, would be fine by me.
    02-10-10 05:50 AM
    Hi,

When this occurs do you get the hourglass?
    Are any errors surfaced?
    If this occurs again could you re-enter the application and send an error report to the developers (under the help menu option)?

Sending a report will provide some error information that we can use to debug the issue.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Yes, I do get the hourglass when this happens. I also just followed your directions and sent in an error report
    Last edited by aming63; 02-10-10 at 07:31 AM.
    02-10-10 07:28 AM
    Yes, I do get the hourglass when this happens. I also just followed your directions and sent in an error report
    Hi,

I looked at the error report.

Do you notice this problem with all your locations or a subset of locations?
    Could you try to delete and re-add one of the locations that this problem occurs with?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-10-10 07:50 AM
    Hi,

I looked at the error report.

Do you notice this problem with all your locations or a subset of locations?
    Could you try to delete and re-add one of the locations that this problem occurs with?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    I only have one location. I am trying to delete this location but when I go to locations, it only gives me the choice to edit? How do I delete this location
    02-10-10 08:00 AM
    I only have one location. I am trying to delete this location but when I go to locations, it only gives me the choice to edit? How do I delete this location
    Hi,

The application has some built in logic to not allow the user to delete their last/only location.

Add a new location (it can be the same location - just name it something different) then you can delete your previous location.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-10-10 08:13 AM
    Hi,

The application has some built in logic to not allow the user to delete their last/only location.

Add a new location (it can be the same location - just name it something different) then you can delete your previous location.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Just sent you another report. No animation and less hourglass. I deleted and then added my location again.
    02-10-10 08:21 AM
    I have tried to get the latest version for my Nextel 8350i running 4.6.1. It keeps saying version 1.0.0.325 in app world. I even went to the app world on my pc and sent the link with the new version to my phone. Once the link opened in app world it showed the 1.0.0.325 version again instead of the version I sent the link for. Any suggestions or an OTA you can supply? The BETA version in your OP for 4.6 is working good.
    02-11-10 09:00 AM
    Just sent you another report. No animation and less hourglass. I deleted and then added my location again.
    Hi,

I have tried to reproduce the problem here without success. We do have another user reporting the problem. I justed wanted to verify that this is your current OS: 4.6.0.304.

Do you have any other applications running in the background on your device?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-12-10 07:39 AM
    I have tried to get the latest version for my Nextel 8350i running 4.6.1. It keeps saying version 1.0.0.325 in app world. I even went to the app world on my pc and sent the link with the new version to my phone. Once the link opened in app world it showed the 1.0.0.325 version again instead of the version I sent the link for. Any suggestions or an OTA you can supply? The BETA version in your OP for 4.6 is working good.
    Hi,

We haven't pushed the update for the 8350i to the App World. I should be coming soon for both Free and Elite versions.

Eddie
    02-12-10 07:40 AM
    Hi,

The Storm should follow quickly.

Eddie
    Any update for the Storm update!
    02-12-10 09:56 AM
    Any update for the Storm update!
    I'm also interested in this update for the storm
    02-12-10 10:16 AM
    I'm also interested in this update for the storm
    Hi,

The storm update should be out and appearing in the App World.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    02-24-10 06:45 AM
    Hi,

The storm update should be out and appearing in the App World.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    App World still shows the old 1.0.0.873 version. Is there anywhere where we can download the updated version that the web version of app world shows, the 1.1.0.140?
    02-24-10 09:18 AM
    App World still shows the old 1.0.0.873 version. Is there anywhere where we can download the updated version that the web version of app world shows, the 1.1.0.140?
    I just looked on app world and version 1.1.0.145 is there for download.
    02-24-10 09:32 AM
292 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD