All of them are memory and battery hogs IMO. I just use Pocket Express. Has everything you'd want and need, and includes HandMark's app store.
    08-01-09 02:16 PM
    Still on WB Standard and I just received an alert from it for a Child Abduction Emergency Bulletin.

Weird and interesting all at the same time. I never received this kind of alert on a weather app.
    08-01-09 05:27 PM
    Using BW. Hated WB because it had no formal RIM OPEN or CLOSE (don't start until I say so; stop and exit when I tell you.) Does WB Elite have formal OPEN and CLOSE by now ?

BW has a quirk: with it installed in your Banner, at the drop of a hat, it will revert to a previous set of valid data. Evoking App Screen and dismissing causes BW to display the current data.

Doctor Neutron
    08-01-09 05:42 PM
    Your license number is in the details for Weather Bug Elite in App World -> My World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The license isn't the same as the activation code. I'm having the same issue. Does anyone know how to find the activation code?
    08-01-09 07:06 PM
    Using BW. Hated WB because it had no formal RIM OPEN or CLOSE (don't start until I say so; stop and exit when I tell you.) Does WB Elite have formal OPEN and CLOSE by now ?
    There is a free 3rd party called StartItUp in the CB Store which will open any apps you choose at start up.
    08-01-09 08:45 PM
    The license isn't the same as the activation code. I'm having the same issue. Does anyone know how to find the activation code?
    It's what I used when I bought and installed WBE.
    08-01-09 09:47 PM
    Your license number is in the details for Weather Bug Elite in App World -> My World.

This is correct...I just entered the number wrong. Thank you!
    08-02-09 04:55 AM
    BW has a quirk: with it installed in your Banner, at the drop of a hat, it will revert to a previous set of valid data. Evoking App Screen and dismissing causes BW to display the current data.

Doctor Neutron
    Say what ....?
    08-02-09 08:59 AM
    See, now that's your problem. Some applications you have to set up certain parameters to work correctly. If you had set BerryWeather to update every 15 minutes, you would have been the same as WB. Ah, the joys of reading.

I just have to add my 2 cents here.. No matter what you set your "parameters", BW server updates their weather every 30 minutes. You can see on the screen, "Last Observed x minutes ago" so it really does not matter if you set it up for ever 15 minutes.

Now the question is, When does WB update their servers??
    08-02-09 10:13 AM
    I have an answer. It DOES turn out to be a data source issue. The question is which apps "update" more often at the source. I just checked the WeatherBug site, and apparently the data source/updates are their secret sauce.

I pasted this directly from their "About us" page at the WeatherBug website...

"WeatherBug, the leading provider of weather information services, manages and operates a proprietary network of over 8,000 WeatherBug Tracking Stations and more than 1,000 cameras that are strategically placed at schools, public safety facilities and television stations throughout the U.S. These professional-grade weather stations generate live neighborhood level reports every second (unlike other weather providers; their data is up to an hour or more old)."

Explains why WeatherBug "tracked" the storm I was in when I was in Tucson, when the other apps didn't.

I just have to add my 2 cents here.. No matter what you set your "parameters", BW server updates their weather every 30 minutes. You can see on the screen, "Last Observed x minutes ago" so it really does not matter if you set it up for ever 15 minutes.

Now the question is, When does WB update their servers??
    08-02-09 05:13 PM
    Is anyone running Weatherbug Elite with 5.0? Not a hybrid but just straight 5.0?
    08-02-09 05:54 PM
    so the only way to wb elite is from app world?
    08-02-09 09:54 PM
    I'm using Weatherbug Elite. I like it. The first time I saw the ugly banner ads on my 'free' version of Weatherbug, I started looking for other options. I hated paying $4.99 but it's a good product with no ads, so that works for me.

PROS: Temp shows on top banner. No ads. Updates frequently. Animated radar maps, graphs, national outlook videos, live camera of your neighborhood are all diverting and impressed my Dad (which made me look cool). Same great animated icon. Email weather alerts--at first seemed these would be annoying, but there aren't many of them, and they are relavant.

CONS: A bit slow to start up after restart (still faster than regular WB, but not as fast as I would like). Not fond of the splash screen--ugly and stays on screen too long.
    08-03-09 11:33 AM
    Maybe it's the lack of advertising on the Elite version but it seems to have a less severe memory leak than the free version. Plus it seems to update more consistantly than Berry Weather did (I only used the 3day trial).
    08-03-09 12:16 PM
    Any one have a link to WB elite? I can't run app world.

08-03-09 12:32 PM
    If I understand correctly, WB Elite displays current temp in the banner. Does it also show a current condition picture, or is that just on the icon like the normal WB? Can you click on the temp to access WB Elite, or do you still have to have to click on the application icon for that? I would like the additional stuff that WB Elite offers, but I made a very simple theme to move the original WB up into top right corner and it has all the info in one. Im afraid that WB Elite would cause me to lose the simpleness of display and access that I currently have with my theme. Basically trading one icon with picture, temps, and access for 2 icons to do the same.
    08-09-09 06:07 PM
    If I understand correctly, WB Elite displays current temp in the banner. Does it also show a current condition picture, or is that just on the icon like the normal WB? Can you click on the temp to access WB Elite, or do you still have to have to click on the application icon for that?

I've had Elite for a few days now. WB's icon is the same as the free version (current cond. , temp , and forcasted high low , your choice of last two). It just adds the temp to your notifications area it is NOT clickable. The temp takes a lesser priority than your messages in the notification area. So if you have multiple unread messages of different types the temp will not be visible I think its 3 or 4 different message types email,sms,bbmsng,other emails etc. Once these are cleared the temp will come back.

I have a question/complaint of my own if anyone can help.

On the maps my overlays have no transperancy adjustment. Is there any way to control this that I am missing I've looked everywhere I can think of I hope I'm just missing something. On all the overlays the map can not be seen at all through the colors so the humidity/wind speed/temp/etc. overlays are very hard to make sense of without turning them on and off to see where your at on the map still. Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I've emailed support but have gotten no repy.

On another note I also own the pay berryweather but I am not satisfied at all with it.
    My major problem is with the updating my updates would fail Everyday , once they would fail I could not manually update either. The only solution was to delete my location and re-add it manually. This got very annoying to do everyday sometimes more than once. And yes before someone asks I have gotten every update as they came out.
    Thats just my opinion some people including a friend of mine are very happy with berryweather unfortunately I would like my $10.00 back. Just my .02
    Last edited by 420thDjB; 08-09-09 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added content
    08-09-09 09:34 PM
    I just got a reply from support about my above issue. They said they plan to fix it on the next update. I wonder when that will be.
    08-10-09 08:58 AM
    I noticed a pretty big memory leak with this app installed. Would drop 9MB within an hour...
    08-11-09 10:38 PM
    There is a free 3rd party called StartMeUp in the CB Store which will open any apps you choose at start up.
    FYI, I had tried this app for awhile to conveniently start WB up on reboot which I would then manually close, but this app has a fairly large memory leak, so it's been deleted. Too bad; it had a neat icon.
    08-11-09 11:30 PM
    FYI, I had tried this app for awhile to conveniently start WB up on reboot which I would then manually close, but this app has a fairly large memory leak, so it's been deleted. Too bad; it had a neat icon.

I am running WB Elite and I noticed that the app starts up on its own after 30 minutes.
    I have WB set to update every 30 minutes... Hmm...
    08-11-09 11:37 PM
    ^ Interesting...

I just may upgrade to WBE also, I've just been to lazy to do so.
    08-11-09 11:49 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD