Don't all the weather services get much of their info from the NWS?
    According to the NWS guy that I took a weather spotting class a few years back, most of these dudes that work at your local TV station are not meteorologists. They are broadcasters who take only the basic meteorology classes wherever you take those. From what I've heard they get most of their information from NWS and change it to their liking.

There isn't a more reliable source for weather in my opinion and when the NWS predicts severe weather you better listen to them.
    Last edited by wicked.lester; 05-13-09 at 01:26 AM.
    05-13-09 01:24 AM
    I've signed up with EmergencyEmail too.

It's a great service, but a bit annoying. They send you an email every time food gets recalled (like the Tostinos Pizza disaster last year) and all kinds of swine flu updates and all of that.
    Last edited by wicked.lester; 05-13-09 at 01:34 AM.
    05-13-09 01:31 AM
    Will a weather warning be displayed on the icon?
    05-13-09 02:46 AM
    Just downloaded NWSClient for my 8310 w/ ATT.
    So far so good. I'll use NWSinteractive (the NWS site) for email alerts, but the BB app was extremely slow and kept dropping a "use center button to toggle menu" screen over the top & it wouldn't go away.

with the NWSClient - can it access my GPS and give me current info (warnings/conditions) for where I'm located?
    05-15-09 01:35 PM
    with the NWSClient - can it access my GPS and give me current info (warnings/conditions) for where I'm located?
    Now that would be cool. Great idea.
    05-15-09 03:50 PM
    Now that would be cool. Great idea.
    NWSClient's homepage says that this will be part of the update. I don't know if it will use GPS though. NWS still issues watches/warnings by county for the most part, so having a list of counties to alert you would suffice.
    05-15-09 03:55 PM
    Another thought that has crossed my mind is to include the forecast area discussion.

The forecast discussion is hard to read at first but it basically discusses why your local NWS office predicts current weather patterns. Pretty handy for people who depend on the weather everyday like me.

The main point of this though is that Forecast Discussion sometimes has information for aviators. Would be quite useful.
    05-15-09 04:03 PM
    NWSClient's homepage says that this will be part of the update. I don't know if it will use GPS though. NWS still issues watches/warnings by county for the most part, so having a list of counties to alert you would suffice.
    GPS integration would be best - then as you are traveling (driving) on a long trip, you wouldn't have to enter every county on the drive - only to have to delete them at the end of the trip.

I'd also like a little clickable URL for the "Hazardous Weather Outlook."

I love being able to look at that on NOAA's site each day.

I do like having the current conditions and forecasts all on the page - as well as the temp updated in the icon!
    05-15-09 04:53 PM
    Yes, GPS integration would be cool, and I've experimented with the GPS API. Unfortunately I have Verizon (evil) and my GPS functionality is purposely crippled, so adding it to NWSClient has been low priority for me.
    05-16-09 12:39 PM
    Just downloaded and really like this application. Most of the other apps are too over coded and provide pretty pictures with little real info. Keep this as simple and resource skimply as possible and you have a winner.

You may want to talk to the developer of "PatternLock" or the developer or "Profiler" who seem to have cracked the gps api (at least partially) issue and their gps aware applications work on my Verizon phone.
    Last edited by BerryNick; 05-16-09 at 03:27 PM.
    05-16-09 03:24 PM
    In staying with the NWS sytem; it would be great to include a link to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) for the kind of info we need down here on the Texas coast. Weather Underground also has great Tropical information.
    05-16-09 03:31 PM
    anyway to know when a new update will be available?
    05-16-09 03:45 PM
    Yes, GPS integration would be cool, and I've experimented with the GPS API. Unfortunately I have Verizon (evil) and my GPS functionality is purposely crippled, so adding it to NWSClient has been low priority for me.
    Eh???? what do you mean crippled, seems to work great with Google maps and BB map.
    05-16-09 06:23 PM
    anyway to know when a new update will be available?
    I made some good progress this past weekend. I hope to release an update as beta in about a week. It will include radar imagery and links to warning/alert bulletins.
    I've also improved the UI/worker thread interaction so it will no longer throw up a dialog that locks the interface when it's busy fetching data.
    05-18-09 01:04 PM
    Another thought that has crossed my mind is to include the forecast area discussion.
    Yes, I read forecast discussions regularly and I would love this feature. The problem is I need to find and store a list of weather stations that provide forecast discussions regularly--because not all do. For example, the closest weather station to me is KOAK, the nearest radar station is KMUX and my forecast discussions seem to be published by MTR (Monterey). I have the first two lists but I haven't found one for forecast discussions yet.
    05-18-09 01:19 PM
    Eh???? what do you mean crippled, seems to work great with Google maps and BB map.
    It's crippled on my 8330. If it's true that Verizon is no longer crippling GPS on the newer Storms then that would be a very Good Thing.
    05-18-09 01:21 PM
    when will the new update go live ?
    05-19-09 07:50 PM
    I've just uploaded NWSClient version 1.1. This update includes
    # Current conditions are displayed as the application's rollover icon
    # Links to nearest NWS radar and forecast discussions
    # Links to NWS alert and warning bulletins
    # The application no longer blocks when fetching weather
    # Added a user preference for the minimum font size
    # The location database is stored more efficiently, resulting in a smaller overall application size
    The over-the-air install is available here
    Here is the version optimized for Blackberry Storm.
    Last edited by nwsclient; 06-03-09 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added link to updated Blackberry Storm build
    05-30-09 08:07 PM
    UPDATE: The microscopic app icon problem has been resolved. The above link now points to the fixed version, 1.15.
    Last edited by nwsclient; 06-03-09 at 03:13 AM. Reason: App icon problem resolved
    06-01-09 01:37 PM
    UPDATE: The microscopic app icon problem has been resolved. The above link now points to the fixed version, 1.13.
    Just wanted to thank you for this...for a long time, we have needed a solid weather app that doesn't suck down memory like a cheap hooker on bourbon street! This is great!
    06-01-09 07:15 PM
    Looks cool, can anyone using it for the storm discuss how the memory holds up? Any leaks?
    06-01-09 07:22 PM
    Neat and clean! working good on my storm Thanks for this!
    08-07-09 06:39 AM
    Good Stuff. Thanks for your efforts!
    08-23-09 03:37 PM
    Hi, sorry quick question. Odds are I could find this somewhere else but.

On a lot of weather apps on the radar it will show enormous green/blue circle cells around my area or all over, even though it is not raining. Why are those displayed on the radar?

Thanks
    08-23-09 04:05 PM
    What I do for my NWS notifications is setup a separate gmail account for receiving my weather notifications and then create an account on StormNow.com - Weather information via email, fax, pager and PCS. and setup the notifications you want to receive and then set that gmail account to have its own alert so you know when new weather notifications arrive and you have near instant notifications when forecasts, watches, and warnings are sent out. I receive the emails a couple seconds before my weather alert radios go off.
    08-23-09 09:00 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD