Does anybody know of a weather application for blackberry (storm compatible) that uses NOAA/NWS as its source? I normally look up the forecast on cell.weather.gov, but an actual application would be quite handy.

I know there are other weather applications, but I found NOAA to be the most reliable source. I don't like WeatherBug, AccuWeather, and all those other guys.

Just a little obsessive about the weather. Sorry.
    05-09-09 08:17 PM
    I have written one called NWSClient. Please see my signature for the link. I'm working on the next version right now that should be faster, include radar images, and more detailed forecast information.
    05-09-09 10:20 PM
    Don't all the weather services get much of their info from the NWS?
    05-09-09 10:23 PM
    Yes

10 char
    05-09-09 10:33 PM
    I like it, simple, lets me know what I want. Radar images would be cool but not pressing. Nice little app
    05-09-09 11:03 PM
    I have written one called NWSClient. Please see my signature for the link. I'm working on the next version right now that should be faster, include radar images, and more detailed forecast information.
    Hi - just downloaded your app. Looks very promising. Any chance that next version including updated icons to reflect current conditions? FYI, I'm running on Storm.
    05-10-09 09:30 AM
    I think I have just found my new favorite weather app. Thanks!
    05-10-09 10:32 AM
    Hi - just downloaded your app. Looks very promising. Any chance that next version including updated icons to reflect current conditions? FYI, I'm running on Storm.
    I think he has that on the future enhancements list on his page.

**** EDIT a cut and paste from the web site*****
    Feature Wishlist

These are features I�m working on for the next version:

• Link to a current radar image.
    • Current conditions in addition to temperature in the app icon
    • Links to alert and warning bulletins, forecast discussions, etc�

05-10-09 11:49 AM
    Just gave it a try, and so far, so great! It's got a nice clean look and seems pretty lightweight.
    05-10-09 08:43 PM
    If you're really into weather and want to spend a few bucks I am using an app downloaded from the weather channel.com. It's cool but kinda pricey if you ask me. I'm going to try the NWSClient! <using Curve>
    05-10-09 08:48 PM
    If there was any way to automatically and instantly receive (and perhaps filter for) severe weather bulletins (I'm thinking specifically Severe Thunderstorm/Tornado Watches/Warnings) I'd be willing to pay SERIOUS money for an app like that.

I work at a TV station, and there are a number of us that would benefit greatly from getting that information on the go.
    05-10-09 09:55 PM
    05-10-09 10:28 PM
    No, Weatherbug, for example, uses local weather stations mostly installed at schools. However, it does includes NWS alerts for severe weather conditions.
    05-11-09 11:00 AM
    Great app! Exactly what I was looking for, small light weight app. The addition of Radar would be nice also. But I am very content the way it is working right now.
    05-11-09 11:20 AM
    Just downloaded. Looks good, I will try it for a few days. The warning feature would be really cool. In my opinion the radar link would be secondary.

Thanks

Wow, unlike other weather apps I've used and deleted, which have been black holes for memory, I actually picked up 4.1 MB of App memory immediately after install. Sweet!
    Last edited by SaintsfanWPB; 05-11-09 at 11:53 AM.
    05-11-09 11:49 AM
    wow this is a great application as a starter, i cant wait to see the next update . highly recommended
    05-11-09 04:12 PM
    I guess the only other thing (that's not on the wish / feature list) that would be addition somewhere down the road is to turn off the alert icon after I've read it. Beyond that, great app. It's the first one I haven't had to remove from my phone after a few days cause it was dragging the blackberry down.
    05-11-09 04:45 PM
    It reboot my phone as soon as i tried clicking on it to get an update on the weather.
    05-11-09 05:21 PM
    The Weather Channel has a free service that includes pushed weather alerts for severe weather. It has let me forward alerts to my wife's and daughters' phones so they know what's coming.
    05-11-09 05:50 PM
    i downloaded this bad larry lastnight and like it so far.
    05-11-09 05:58 PM

Yes

10 char
    AWS is the company behind weatherbug and weathernet. Weathernet is the service that you might see on your local tv station that shows conditions at various places around your vicinity. In addition to the government run weather stations AWS has their weather stations in schools, government offices, airports, golf courses, etc. I think the government is one of their biggest customers. AWS has at least 8000 stations that feed data at a rate faster than the 1000 or so stations the US Government has. So if you use weatherbug in the US you get at least 9000 data stations to choose from.

BTW, I don't use the app because it doesn't behave well for me on my Storm, and I also find the window accurate enough for my needs.
    05-11-09 06:46 PM
    Best weather app/icon/site yet. Cant wait for the updates. Good job.
    05-12-09 05:39 AM
    AWS has at least 8000 stations that feed data at a rate faster than the 1000 or so stations the US Government has. So if you use weatherbug in the US you get at least 9000 data stations to choose from.
    If someone could write an app that uses WeatherUnderground.com data that would be great! There are more than enough nuts like me who post their weather data to the web. Most update at least every minute which would be a lot for an app to digest, but a lot of the NWS sites only update every 30 minutes or so unfortunately.
    05-12-09 06:43 AM
    Here's a direct link to the NWS mobile site. Right now the app program doesn't work for storm. But you can have all warnings sent to an email, which of course can be pushed. Works really well. I've had this on my winmo for some time, and now on my storm. You can choose what counties you want alerted and what type of warnings. Just click on register on the top. NWS can't advertise this site, as private industry does not want NWS to compete against them. There is a Blackberry app. You must use blackberry browser to get it. (not firefox or explorer) However, it does not appear compatible with Storm, but other BB's instead. You can also go to this site on your pc to set up alerts

Welcome to interactiveNWS
    Last edited by wxman2003; 05-12-09 at 07:55 AM.
    05-12-09 07:42 AM
    keeping it alive
    05-12-09 06:35 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD