Hi, thought I would post a bit of a warning for those upgrading to an OS7 device, either the 9900 or 9810 as I've now tried both.

There is a massive lack of updated OS7 apps currently.

While the previous app store had upwards of 20,000, the app store when you connect from an OS7 device has around 1500.

This really shocked me, especially for the torch 9810, when all you'd think developers would have to do is update a few things.

Anyway, fair warning if you are looking to transfer all your apps from your 9800 to your 9810.

BTW, the device itself is great.
    08-15-11 11:18 AM
    Apparently, there are a large number of apps that aren't officially pegged to OS 7 yet, but which nonetheless work fine.

There is a thread over in the 9900 forum on working/non-working apps. It's kind of a jumble, but it gives you a fairly good if incomplete picture:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orking-637413/

08-15-11 11:34 AM
    I only use three of four apps, so no big deal for me. Thanks for the heads up though.
    08-15-11 12:42 PM
    its new - so it wont have that many apps.... what comes first the chicken or the egg // what comes first the developer or the os-7 consumers? u decide
    08-15-11 12:44 PM
    Im w8ing for Berry slider. Other then that most of my main apps work flawless.
    08-15-11 12:45 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Official OS7 support will roll in for most apps over time, and it appears a lot of them work just fine unofficially.
    08-15-11 12:47 PM
    How do I get an app on my phoine "unofficially?"

Thanks for the help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 12:57 PM
    Okay, here are some APs that I really want:

Life in Pocket
    Iconify
    Weather Channel
    Ebay
    Photobucket
    Paypal

Anybody know if those are available?
    08-15-11 02:14 PM
    Life in Pocket - NA
    Iconify - 15 link and 50 link version available
    Weather Channel - Available
    Ebay - NA
    Photobucket - NA
    Paypal - NA
    You've gotta be kidding. No, Ebay, Photobucket or Paypal???? On the 9800, those are preinstalled. Well, thank God for Iconify, anyway.
    08-15-11 02:26 PM
    They will be there, but it is up to the developer to mark their app as OS 7 compatible and 9810 it will happen sooner then later.
    I should imagine that Ebay and Paypal would want to be on 9810 pronto.
    08-15-11 02:34 PM
    You know - while I was just checking what the latest bid was on the Stuhrling Original San Marco Mechanical Power Reserve Watch (mind you, I already have 64 watches in my collection) just now, it occurred to me that I might be better off without the Ebay and Paypal apps.
    08-15-11 03:03 PM
    Just got an email back from Poynt. Apparently they didn't realise the new devices were going to be released in some markets last week. Anyways, version 1.8 with support for the Torch 9810 "is slated to be released later this week."

Yay!
    Fr3lncr likes this.
    08-15-11 07:08 PM
    As a non-techie ---i would have thot OS7 would have been backwards compatible with w. OS 6. That's the way it works w. most PC programs.
    08-15-11 08:54 PM
    Just got an email back from Poynt. Apparently they didn't realise the new devices were going to be released in some markets last week. Anyways, version 1.8 with support for the Torch 9810 "is slated to be released later this week."

Yay!
    Phew!! That is good news.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 09:15 PM
    Yes and yes. It is backwards compatible but the developer has to specify that it is compatible with the OS level and device that you are connecting to App World with.

The problem is each device's screen is different some have touch etc, and when you change an OS level there could be issues with API's you use to call to not existing anymore. So it is up to the developer to make sure their app works with a different OS or device then check off the little box that says it works so we can download it with that device.
    Thanks. While the 9900 has been released in a few markets - with most to come by the end of the month ---the 9810 is only out in a couple markets with no announcements in most major markets, yet.

...mike
    08-15-11 10:58 PM
    Does anyone know if Google Maps works on the 9810?

Thanks
    08-16-11 11:27 AM
    Does anyone know if Google Maps works on the 9810?

Thanks
    I have google maps installed on my 9810.

And just FYI that I had the 9900 for a week and I had more apps available for me in AppWorld than the 9810 gives me. I'll try some direct downloads to see if I can get them 'unofficially'.

There's not that many that I 'need', but Poynt for sure as it will come in handy on my upcoming holidays so I'm glad an update is supposed to come this week.
    08-16-11 01:31 PM
    Yeah, engadget for the torch does not work for instance but on all other bberry devices does ( havent tried on bb 7 ones yet.)
    08-16-11 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD