Hey! I noticed that Tetherberry is on sale today for half off, and I am very interested in purchasing this for my berry/notebook.

However, before I put 25 dollars into it, I was wondering if anyone has it and if vzw charges you anything even though I have an unlimited data plan?

Thanks in advance!
    07-24-09 08:34 AM
    Never tried it, I know that VZW charges 59.99 for the service whether its 29.99 bis plan you're on they charge 30.00 a month. If you're on bes plan for 44.99 its 15.00. I know that it won't charge you in terms of transferring data since you're unlimited so it should work. But like I said I've never used tetherberry before on a VZW BB
    07-24-09 08:38 AM
    There have been stories here of four and five digit bills because of tetherberry and pdanet use.

It is against the tos on all four major carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 08:39 AM
    Tetherberry is a bad idea

07-24-09 09:44 AM
    Tetherberry is a bad idea

This is the conclusion I have come to as well.
    07-24-09 09:51 AM
    You might be able to get away with it if you only use it in emergencies once in awhile. Your call though.

The VZW Access is 15 a month and won't violate your TOS. It has a 5 gig / month cap but I never came near it when I used it. That's a lot of money but if you only buy it for a month (during your planned vacation) it's a good backup if you need it in a pinch.
    07-24-09 01:36 PM
    You might be able to get away with it if you only use it in emergencies once in awhile. Your call though.

The VZW Access is 15 a month and won't violate your TOS. It has a 5 gig / month cap but I never came near it when I used it. That's a lot of money but if you only buy it for a month (during your planned vacation) it's a good backup if you need it in a pinch.
    And because it goes through the RIM servers, it's not a fast tethering. It's best used for emergencies.

As far as the tethering through VZW goes, I've had it and used it plenty (don't have it now because my cable provider has launched wifi throughout their service area and I have wifi anywhere I go locally. I re-add tethering when I go on vacation if I think I'll need it.). It's fast and so long as you don't do intense streaming, you should be fine. There was one night where I fell asleep with Slingbox running, and in 24 hours ran through about 3 gigs. Yikes!
    07-24-09 01:59 PM
    And because it goes through the RIM servers, it's not a fast tethering.
    RIM servers AND Tetherberry proxy servers. It is slower than dialup.

In some cases, you may be wishing for a Hayes duplex cradle.

07-24-09 02:05 PM
    I've thought about tetherberry beta testing for mac. I still have the invite but am deciding against it when I consistently use 5+GB of internet per day. I'm sure Charter hates me.

For those wondering why so much... I use skype and ichat video conferencing and screen sharing a lot.

07-24-09 02:17 PM
    Hey guys no offense but so far all i have heard was a bunch of guessing and hypothesis's. is there anyone out there that can verify what happens or maybe know someone that works for Verizon that can get this confirmed?

I just can't see how you are allowed to buy an app that does one service but the company still charges you. If that is the case then they have to charge you for not using the VZ Nav and their Media apps too when you happen to download google maps or even BB maps.

NJB

PS i knwo calling isnt the best idea because remember they are recorded and will not say anything that will go against the company in that respect. of course they'll tell you that it won't work...just like our Beta OS's
    07-24-09 04:02 PM
    Hey guys no offense but so far all i have heard was a bunch of guessing and hypothesis's. is there anyone out there that can verify what happens or maybe know someone that works for Verizon that can get this confirmed?

I just can't see how you are allowed to buy an app that does one service but the company still charges you. If that is the case then they have to charge you for not using the VZ Nav and their Media apps too when you happen to download google maps or even BB maps.
    Using Tetherberry goes against your BIS TOS. You may be able to get away with it, but VZW has ways of telling if you're using Tetherberry and can slap you with overage charges.
    07-24-09 04:53 PM
    Using Google & BB maps isn't against the TOS.

PS i knwo calling isnt the best idea because remember they are recorded and will not say anything that will go against the company in that respect. of course they'll tell you that it won't work...just like our Beta OS's
    Umm, do you honestly think that the majority of reps actually know what Tetherberry is?
    07-24-09 05:07 PM
    Using Tetherberry goes against your BIS TOS. You may be able to get away with it, but VZW has ways of telling if you're using Tetherberry and can slap you with overage charges.
    It is what is known as red flagging an IP address. There are reasons Tetherberry is being heavily discounted.

07-24-09 05:41 PM
    It is what is known as red flagging an IP address. There are reasons Tetherberry is being heavily discounted.

I never thought of it like this way but he does have a point...if it was so great why is it being offered 50% off today?
    07-24-09 05:54 PM
    07-24-09 08:43 PM
    I probably speak w/ 1-2 customers a month who've had their services shut off because of illegal tethering.
    07-24-09 09:10 PM
    Can anyone provide a link to Verizon's Blackberry data plan terms and conditions? I can't seem to find it.
    Last edited by Granolamonkey; 07-24-09 at 11:56 PM.
    07-24-09 11:51 PM
    This is the best I can find:

Feature Detail

In there, and in the additional "terms and conditions" link, I cannot find anything that mentions tethering. Where is the debate exactly? I did some searching, and apparently a previous terms of service explicitly mentioned that tethering was not allowed. Now, it looks like it doesn't. Doesn't that omission imply a change in policy?
    07-25-09 12:03 AM
    This is the best I can find:

Feature Detail

In there, and in the additional "terms and conditions" link, I cannot find anything that mentions tethering. Where is the debate exactly? I did some searching, and apparently a previous terms of service explicitly mentioned that tethering was not allowed. Now, it looks like it doesn't. Doesn't that omission imply a change in policy?
    From this link here under "Calling Plan Information" it says:

PDA/smartphone and BlackBerry� Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device�s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.

Last Update 7/1/09
    07-25-09 06:43 AM
    considering that VZ Access manager is FREE if you get the $30 tether plan. And rumor has it that tetherberry doesnt prevent you from ppu data charges... not a good plan... but I'm sure you know this by now as everyone else has told you the same...

( sorry been out sick past few days! )

I just realized my ironical like statement about vzam being free... meds still in system sorry... SOFTWARE is free... with the tether feature. There I'm editeded.
    07-25-09 06:56 AM
    Tetherberry is absolutely against VZW's TOS. When it came out I sent an email to the data people in my district and region just concerned about what the stance would be. The email I got back stated that anyone CAUGHT using tethering without a plan would be asked to cease activity and if the activity continued they would be charged usage fees. Basically they treat it like "Bandwidth Hogs" (not a new movie with William H. Macy and John Travolta) with broadband cards.
    07-25-09 07:14 AM
    Tetherberry is absolutely against VZW's TOS. When it came out I sent an email to the data people in my district and region just concerned about what the stance would be. The email I got back stated that anyone CAUGHT using tethering without a plan would be asked to cease activity and if the activity continued they would be charged usage fees. Basically they treat it like "Bandwidth Hogs" (not a new movie with William H. Macy and John Travolta) with broadband cards.
    BINGO! is his name-o
    07-25-09 07:18 AM
    I opted for the half off TetherBerry option. It's a tough call. But, I think if you use TetherBerry with caution for casual use when WiFi isn't available then you will be OK. Don't think you will turn your laptop into a full time server using TetherBerry. It's pretty slow compared to 3G, and wireless.

Now, if VZW finds a way to prove you are tethering, by the type of data, or the way TetherBerry works. Then you could be in for a surprise.

Again, us with caution.... As for me, the court is still out if I keep the app, or return it...
    07-25-09 12:58 PM
    Now, if VZW finds a way to prove you are tethering, by the type of data, or the way TetherBerry works. Then you could be in for a surprise.
    You mean like monitoring the ports you access (why would a berry need to access p2p ports from an IP in Sweeden??) , connection types (FTP on a Blackberry... really??), data rates (what app needs 500kbps for 5 minutes straight??) , etc... Yeah, they totally can't do that...
    07-25-09 10:50 PM
    BINGO! is his name-o
    No, it is Seraph08.

Use it cautiously? All it takes is once to flag you.

07-25-09 11:49 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD