Has there been any more word on the release of this app? I thought it was this month that we would see it.
    03-23-10 09:49 AM
    Thursday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

03-23-10 03:16 PM
    Just downloaded it Download Skype for your mobile from the mobile browser. Fast download, easy setup, clear voice clarity, able to call mobile to mobile!!! I like it!!
    03-25-10 05:50 AM
    According to VZW, Skype Mobile will work only on Verizon's domestic network. You can call internationally FROM the US, but not to the US from someplace else. I loaded it a little while ago, thinking that I could call home from Italy on my international data plan. Too bad.
    Last edited by Underway99; 03-25-10 at 06:28 AM.
    03-25-10 06:26 AM
    Also too, Verizon has blocked "wifi" usage, just like "Big Red", make sure you read the terms from Verizon when installing this.
    03-25-10 06:38 AM
    According to VZW, Skype Mobile will work only on Verizon's domestic network. You can call internationally FROM the US, but not to the US from someplace else. I loaded it a little while ago, thinking that I could call home from Italy on my international data plan. Too bad.
    What about within a European country? If my wife and I were in Italy, for example, and we were going different ways, could we call each other via Skype to save call charges?
    03-25-10 06:46 AM
    How about video chatting? Is that an option?

03-25-10 07:00 AM
    What about within a European country? If my wife and I were in Italy, for example, and we were going different ways, could we call each other via Skype to save call charges?
    Since it uses a Circuit Switched line on the radio, it calls first a US land-line number and then gets "translated" into Skype. It's a free call inside the US, but I don't think it will work abroad, or if it does expect heavy roaming (assuming you have a "World Phone" like the Tour that works on GSM networks)
    03-25-10 07:27 AM
    03-25-10 07:30 AM
    Downloaded this morning.... I'm really all about the IM part for work. I know there have been other 3rd party apps but i wsn't looking to pay $30 just for skype. The Int. call part is a bonus, i just wish the wifi wasn't blocked out by big red.
    03-25-10 08:07 AM
    When I try to download, I get the following ...

"Sorry, Skype mobile is not available for your phone.

Switch to one of Verizon's best-selling Blackberry and Android 3G smartphones."

I'm on a Verizon Storm2 9550. Anyone else getting this?
    03-25-10 08:20 AM
    can you pull the .cod files so we can have a look at them?
    03-25-10 08:22 AM
    Anyone know if you HAVE to be in 3G to use SKYPE... I am in an area that only has 1X coverage, and can't sign on...
    03-25-10 08:41 AM
    this is the user agreement that pops up the first time you launch it....
    Skype mobile is available within the National and Extended National Enhanced Services Coverage Areas, but not when using WiFi. Skype mobile features may vary from Skype on your PC.

Domestic calls made from Skype mobile are carried by Verizon Wireless, not Skype, and are billed according to your Verizon Wireless plan.

Skype calls to international numbers are billed by Skype at Skype rates.

Calls to 911 will be completed by Verizon Wireless.

Skype mobile is not available when using per-line or per-call caller ID blocking.

In the event of a conflict between these Verizon Wireless Skype mobile Terms and the Skype EULA, Skype TOS, or any other applicable terms, the provisions of the Verizon Wireless Skype mobile Terms shall apply.
    Question....

With that statement about "domestic calls" being billed per VZW plan, I have to ask for some clarification... Are "free skype to skype" really FREE? Do they cost plan minutes? Or is what they mean by "Domestic calls" those calls that are "Skype to Phone Or Mobile"?

Funny, the VZW web page doesn't mention ANYTHING about using PLAN MINUTES. -> http://phones.verizonwireless.com/skypemobile/ Nor does Skype's web page for that matter.

Btw, I haven't signed up for skype yet. Not sure if I'm going to until I figure out the terms of VZW's Skype to Skype calls...
    03-25-10 08:56 AM
    this is the user agreement that pops up the first time you launch it....
    Question....

With that statement about "domestic calls" being billed per VZW plan, I have to ask for some clarification... Are "free skype to skype" really FREE? Do they cost plan minutes? Or is what they mean by "Domestic calls" those calls that are "Skype to Phone Or Mobile"?

Funny, the VZW web page doesn't mention ANYTHING about using PLAN MINUTES. -> http://phones.verizonwireless.com/skypemobile/ Nor does Skype's web page for that matter.

Btw, I haven't signed up for skype yet. Not sure if I'm going to until I figure out the terms of VZW's Skype to Skype calls...
    Skype to Skype is ALWAYS free. It will not use your minutes and then bill your account. What it means by domestic calls is that if you call a regular number from your Skype account, it WILL charge against your minutes. But I think you need a subscription service from Skype to do that anyway. Just make sure that when using Skype Mobile, you only contact other Skype users. That way you can ensure yourself of avoiding any unexpected charges or use of minutes.
    03-25-10 09:01 AM
    Anyone can upload the .cod for skype? for the Storm2?
    03-25-10 09:06 AM
    ...What it means by domestic calls is that if you call a regular number from your Skype account, it WILL charge against your minutes.
    Ok, so Skype to Phone or Mobile costs... But Skype to Skype is free.

Cool.

Thanks.
    03-25-10 09:08 AM
    Anyone can upload the .cod for skype? for the Storm2?
    if you are a VZW user, why not go to Skype mobile™ for Verizon Wireless BlackBerry� and Android™ 3G smartphones enter your cell phone number, and click the Get SKype Mobile button? it sends a text message with a DL link to your phone.

If you're not a VZW user, you might get it installed, but it isn't going to work.
    03-25-10 09:11 AM
    if you are a VZW user, why not go to Skype mobile� for Verizon Wireless BlackBerry� and Android� 3G smartphones enter your cell phone number, and click the Get SKype Mobile button? it sends a text message with a DL link to your phone.

If you're not a VZW user, you might get it installed, but it isn't going to work.
    yea maybe, but would be interesting to try and see
    03-25-10 09:15 AM
    the most ridiculous thing of this all is what i am reading in the help menu:

"Getting started
    Can I use Skype mobile on my Verizon phone when I'm abroad?
    Sorry, but you can only use it on Verizon Wireless in the US."

so much for being able to keep in touch with my girlfriend in italy who has a tour w/international package (unlimited data). F-U VZW!
    03-25-10 09:27 AM
    Confirmed!
    I'm on a Verizon 9550 running unlocked on a Canadian carrier - was able to get it installed, but when attempting to launch I get a popup saying it only works on VZW. The app then closes.
    03-25-10 09:28 AM
    Google voice anyone? I'm not surprised verizon would drop a app like this with strings attached. Skype has been failing sing google voice and this looks like a last ditch effort to make some capital.

Good luck!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-25-10 10:16 AM
    the most ridiculous thing of this all is what i am reading in the help menu:

"Getting started
    Can I use Skype mobile on my Verizon phone when I'm abroad?
    Sorry, but you can only use it on Verizon Wireless in the US."

so much for being able to keep in touch with my girlfriend in italy who has a tour w/international package (unlimited data). F-U VZW!
    Wouldn't Skype to Skype calls work internationally over the data plan? Especially if one of you uses the computer version?
    03-25-10 10:26 AM
    @jorGeorge, can you post the JAD address? Once at the page in the screenshot press menu and Page Address.

Thanks.
    03-25-10 10:29 AM
    03-25-10 10:31 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD