Has anyone seen Skype's voicemail-to-text application? It is $0.25 per voicemail and you have to have a Skype voicemail account, etc. It converts your voicemail message into a text version that can be emailed or sent via text for you to read at your leisure. When I first got visual voicemail w/VZW on my Storm I thought it was exactly this, but after realizing what it is I canceled it. This would be an incredibly useful tool. In meetings I can't listen to voicemails, but I sure could read them.

Has anybody thought about making a Storm specific app like this? I would easily pay a monthly subscription for this capability! I would do it through Skype, but it is a huge work around for something I would like directly.
    03-06-09 11:58 AM
    PhoneTag

works AMAZINGLY well, imho.
    and the cost is reasonable.
    I originally heard about it from Jason Calacanis on a podcast. He gave it a raving good review, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
    I believe there is a free trial, too.
    03-06-09 12:19 PM
    You should check out YouMail. The basic YouMail service is free (in that it will give you better access to your voicemail, with a Storm-specific Visual-Voicemail-type app to access it and listen to them). It also offers several tiers of transcription service (which are NOT free) which integrate VERY nicely with their device application. I am currently using the lowest tier of service, which offers the first 15 or so seconds of the message transcribed. 50 messages a month, for about 3 or 4 bucks a month. A hair cheaper than Visual Voicemail from Verizon, and includes the Storm app and transcription. I have been VERY satisfied with the accuracy of the transcription, and I find it very useful.

As a side note, someone has worked very hard to make a very nice alternative (and free) Blackberry app which also works as a Visual Voicemail-type interface with YouMail; the app is called VyMail and the link is easily found on these forums. As far as I am aware, however, their app does not display the transcription.
    03-06-09 12:53 PM
    PhoneTag

works AMAZINGLY well, imho.
    Thanks! I had no idea this existed.

$9.95/month for up to 40 messages or $29.95/mo unlimited is a great way to test how badly I really want this feature. When I wrote the post I was thinking maybe a dollar more than visual voicemail ($3.99/mo) or that ballpark. At $4.99/mo I'd still be all over it, but the current charge has stripped me a bit of my enthusiasm and places me on the fence about it.

I am going to give it a try to see if that drops me on one side or the other. Either way, it is great to know that the option is out there. Outsatnding, thanks for the tip!
    03-06-09 12:59 PM
    i did the beta testing for Youmail (not the app, the transcription service) and it better be good now that you have to pay... wasn't very accurate while testing...

(a bit bitter... got nothing in return for beta testing :])

still use Youmail though... but only the free stuff.
    03-06-09 02:11 PM
    WOW! WOW!! WOW!!

I downloaded the free trial of PhoneTag. It is exactly what I was looking for! Man, I really don't want to pay $9.99 -$29.95/mo, but I don't know how I am going to live without this now.
    03-06-09 04:54 PM
    WOW! WOW!! WOW!!

I downloaded the free trial of PhoneTag. It is exactly what I was looking for! Man, I really don't want to pay $9.99 -$29.95/mo, but I don't know how I am going to live without this now.
    Yeah, it is good stuff.
    03-06-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD