Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I have been looking into a few speech to text apps for my Verizon 8330 Curve and the 2 that seem to come up time and time again are Vlingo (the most used it seems) and Tellme. I have no problem paying for an app, but before I buy anything, I want to make sure it will do what I am looking to do.

Besides just doing emails and such, the main thing I am looking to use it for it typing out longer messages. I have recently downloaded and enjoyed Wordpress for Blackberry and have been using it a bit. However, on some longer posts, I wish there was an easier way to do it, and the thing that comes to mind is a speech to text.

A while back, I downloaded and tried the free Vlingo, but it didn't do much for me, mostly because I did not know other users with it installed. If you know no other users with it, it is basically a useless app. I even tried writing (saying then making it write it) and copy and pasting, but it wouldn't let me. I am curious if this would work with the paid application because it would allow me to email anything. My thought process is this - speak a email message to anyone (heck, even myself at a different address) that is my blog post, then just cut and paste it into the Wordpress app. Does the full paid version have a cut/copy paste option in the menu?

For those of you with either of those apps, or even something different, any idea if this would work. Or are there any suggestions on a different app that would work for me.

Thanks in advance.
    11-28-09 08:56 PM
    There's two versions of an app called MyCaption.
    This one is pay-as-you-go:
    MyCaption Speech to Text Application for BlackBerry - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    And this one is unlimited on a per-month basis;
    Dictate On The Go - SMS Texts, Emails, Tasks, Calendar, Notes for Your BlackBerry - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    I use the pay-as-you-go version and it works remarkably well! And there is a free trial. It is the best speech-to-text app that I have found.
    Last edited by tellsells; 11-28-09 at 09:47 PM.
    11-28-09 09:41 PM
    The paid version of Vlingo does have Copy, Cut and Paste I just tried it. Also, the paid version can e-mail/text anyone they don't have to be other Vlingo users.

My main Vlingo use is the "Note to Self" I just say note to self speak and Vlingo types up an e-mail and sends it to myself. Vlingo works very well for Google searches and opening programs like your calendar.

I'd go for Vlingo,
    Chris
    11-29-09 09:15 AM
    It seems that with the cut and paste, and the notes to myself, that Vlingo might be the way to go.

Thanks for the help
    11-30-09 12:30 PM
    It's not perfect, but after you use it a few times it catches on to how you speak. The more you use it, the better it gets.

I use it a lot while driving to reply to text and e-mail messages.
    Last edited by SplinterCell; 11-30-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: it (Vlingo)
    11-30-09 01:11 PM
    I use it a lot while driving to reply to text and e-mail messages.
    That's one main reason I was thinking about using it. Do that while driving to get the bulk of the typing out of the way, then just correct what needs to be corrected.

Now, if I could just find a code or coupon to cut down the cost...
    11-30-09 01:13 PM
    Just my 2 cents from someone who has used both MyCaption and Vlingo.

MyCaption is 99% accurate and Vlingo (even with the learning curve) is no where near that accurate. I use MyCaption combined with DriveSafe.ly (to listen to received e-mails/texts) and together they give me a one click option to send a text or e-mail while driving and using a Bluetooth. Vlingo required a lot of corrections which always defeated the purpose of hands-free, while MyCaption gets it right all of the time!
    11-30-09 01:23 PM
    I tried a quick Vlingo vs MyCaption search not much luck. Maybe, some more will chime-in as I've only used Vlingo.

I just checked out MyCaption and their is like four different versions to install. I would test it out and give my opinion as a Vlingo user, but looks like a pain and I hate subscriptions?

Here is one ----> review it's kind of old; any other thoughts from anyone else who has used both?

tellsells, besides being 99% accurate what else is better with MyCaption? Will MyCaption perform Google searches, or voice activated dialing? I really don't use Vlingo all that often, but when I do it works just fine and was a one time fee of under $20.

If MyCaption is 99% accurate and better than Vlingo I may be interested, but why is their: MyCaption Starter Edition, Voice to Text, MyCaption Email Dictation, Voice Recognition, and MyCaption Speech Recognition. They are all on AppWorld?

Thanks,
    Chris
    11-30-09 01:59 PM
    I tried a quick Vlingo vs MyCaption search not much luck. Maybe, some more will chime-in as I've only used Vlingo.

I just checked out MyCaption and their is like four different versions to install. I would test it out and give my opinion as a Vlingo user, but looks like a pain and I hate subscriptions?

Here is one ----> review it's kind of old; any other thoughts from anyone else who has used both?

tellsells, besides being 99% accurate what else is better with MyCaption? Will MyCaption perform Google searches, or voice activated dialing? I really don't use Vlingo all that often, but when I do it works just fine and was a one time fee of under $20.

If MyCaption is 99% accurate and better than Vlingo I may be interested, but why is their: MyCaption Starter Edition, Voice to Text, MyCaption Email Dictation, Voice Recognition, and MyCaption Speech Recognition. They are all on AppWorld?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Thanks for doing the leg work on the google searching. I think I will try and install the free version of Vlingo on my phone and see if I can find someone at work who has a BB and is interested iin putting it on their phone, just to try out how well it actually works.

I certainly don't mind paying for something, and I do like the one time fee of $20. Who knows much much I would actually use it to pay for the subscription.

Again, thanks to you both.
    11-30-09 02:43 PM

Thanks,
    Chris
    I don't ever use AppWorld but there are two versions in the CB Store (see the links in my previous post in this thread). And there is a free trial in the pay-per-use one. The only other thing that MyCaption does besides texts and e-mails is add to calendar.
    They do have their own website at: MyCaption | One of the Best BlackBerry Applications for Business | Voice Recognition Software System
    I tried the free trial and was blown away by the accuracy of MyCaption.
    11-30-09 02:55 PM
    Well, with the release of version 4.0 and the vlingo everywhere, I bit, paid the discounted price of $14.99 and installed. I haven't used it much yet as I am sitting at my work desk, but I will give it a shot later on in the day. I can say, the little I used it, it worked pretty slick...

I guess only time will tell...
    12-11-09 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD