Anybody know of a good voice nav app with turn by turn directions? My mom pays for AT&T navigator but I told I might be able to get her one for free or at least get one for a one time fee. Anybody know of some good ones?
    02-10-10 09:03 AM
    Garmin Mobile has a free 3-day trial. It's $99 one-time, but some sites offer discounts. It's never free, so beware of offers of pirated versions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 09:20 AM
    You're going to have to pony up some money somewhere. I believe we saw the last freebie assume room temperature just recently.

02-10-10 09:24 AM
    Gotcha. Anybody here use Life in pocket and use the voice service on that? I may have her just buy the garmin one as i have seen alot of good things on it.
    02-10-10 09:27 AM
    I know this is a smart phone site, but garmin and tomtom have some small portable cheep gps units. Sometimes dedicated is easier and better

02-10-10 09:39 AM
    Bow40 makes a very good point. The cheapest standalone units have significantly larger displays than any BlackBerry with a keyboard. If I mount my Tour on my dash, it's a little too far away for me to see the screen well.

02-10-10 09:43 AM
    Yea, she has a newer trackball curve and I think she just wants to keep it to a all in one type thing. She always has her cell on her. That way she dont have to worry about which car is the gps in, or even forget it when rushing out of the house.
    02-10-10 10:17 AM
    Gotcha. Anybody here use Life in pocket and use the voice service on that? I may have her just buy the garmin one as i have seen alot of good things on it.
    There's a good chance RoadComm Guy will be here in 60 seconds to spam this thread and answer your question, but I've tried Life in Pocket, and I just don't find it that good to work with. Yes, it's free and the feature set potential is huge, but the only things on it that work well are things that piggyback off of other resources, like BBMaps or GoogleMaps, which do GPS on their own.

I turned on the turn-by-turn voice navigation, and it was telling me things like "Head West", but it was failing to tell me to make turns to get on the freeway, etc. Maybe I'm just dumb...

AmazeGPS had turn-by-turn too, but the free trial they offer now does not have that feature.
    02-10-10 10:44 AM
    I used to have AmazeGPS when I had my 8310 and it was offered free and was great. I now have a 9700 and tried to get it again but its no longer FREE

02-10-10 01:57 PM
    I used to have AmazeGPS when I had my 8310 and it was offered free and was great. I now have a 9700 and tried to get it again but its no longer FREE

was it accurate? We live in the sticks and my little brother plays baseball, basketball, and football. So getting to and from these little schools can sometimes be a pain!
    02-10-10 03:12 PM
    Garmin Mobile ($99) and Life In Pocket (free) on my Storm 2 replace the GPS with the larger screen size turned to landscape mode.
    02-11-10 12:24 PM
    Can anyone please tell me if the Garmin has in the options commercial vehicle or truck routing? I know amaze does but I didn't care for Amaze

02-12-10 04:58 PM
    Can anyone please tell me if the Garmin has in the options commercial vehicle or truck routing? I know amaze does but I didn't care for Amaze

Car/Motorcycle
    Pedestrian
    Bicycle

There are avoidances but I don't think are what you are looking for. I think you may be able to download the manual. And I believe Garmin still allows a trial run.
    02-12-10 05:24 PM
    Thanks, I'm almost sure they don't, even the stand alone units for truck routing are hard to come by & very very expensive. But I'm always looking

02-12-10 05:44 PM
    Thanks, I'm almost sure they don't, even the stand alone units for truck routing are hard to come by & very very expensive. But I'm always looking

I am remembering back about 40 years - definitely prior to gps. A friend was moving and we rented a moving truck. Entered some NY "parkway" totally oblivious that trucks were prohibited from such roadways. We were let off with a warning!
    02-12-10 07:16 PM
    just type in this add from you blackberry http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/vz-...e-down-417715/ i have 8900 but it works on mine (t-mobil) is verizon navi but it works great and is free try let me know. i hope this works with everyone who has blackberry.
    02-12-10 09:23 PM
    VZNav is not free. It's $10/month from Verizon, billed to your phone account.
    02-12-10 09:26 PM
    I am remembering back about 40 years - definitely prior to gps. A friend was moving and we rented a moving truck. Entered some NY "parkway" totally oblivious that trucks were prohibited from such roadways. We were let off with a warning!
    Yea low clearances are my main concern, Sprint nav is great but not truck specific. Some cities, especially Chicago & Buffalo are notorious for not clearly marking overpasses, I took the top off a trailer in Chicago a few years ago

02-12-10 09:47 PM
    Yea low clearances are my main concern, Sprint nav is great but not truck specific. Some cities, especially Chicago & Buffalo are notorious for not clearly marking overpasses, I took the top off a trailer in Chicago a few years ago

A year ago, some rig carrying a large culvert (or other large diameter pipe section - silo or maybe wind turbine turret) rammed and took out an overpass on I-90 east of Seattle (actually east of the Cascades). The lead car did not read the map correctly or was asleep at the switch and did not take the off-ramp to avoid the overpass and trucker followed - BANG. Very expensive involving demolition of overpass and emergency quick repairs. Trucking company was not happy about the bill.

I recall reading similar requests on gps forums - as you mention, I think it is specialized gps/mapping for you folks.
    02-12-10 10:21 PM
    is $10 a month if your are using verizon network that is what i wrote down that i'm on tmobil network mr jeffH. i used it for over a month and half and i didn't changed yet i think that means free don't you think.
    02-13-10 12:17 AM
    VZNav is a Verizon subscription product. I don't have a non-Verizon phone, so I can't test your assertion that it will run on a T-Mobile network. That seems unlikely, since it would have to get data from Verizon. Can you post a screen shot showing VZNav running on your T-Mobile device?
    02-13-10 09:34 AM
    I just downloaded VZNav and I get an error screen. "Error starting VZNavigator: Class 'net.rim.device.api.gps.GPSInfo' not found."
    Edit: Apparently, someone else tried this on a Telus BB on another board and wrecked their GPS, and it looks like mine is forked too (I get a GPS Loaction Update has failed), so I wouldn't really advise trying it out. Thanks benjamindad for being a lying piece of $#!+. I guess that's why you're supposed to search before doing anything.
    Last edited by johnstampede; 02-13-10 at 11:26 AM.
    02-13-10 11:14 AM
    Thanks for your information. Your error message is what I would expect a non-Verizon user to get.
    02-13-10 11:25 AM
    Always glad to play pincushion on the path to enlightenment. It's a good thing I don't use the GPS or I'd be really ticked.
    02-13-10 11:28 AM
    You have other options. Depending on your carrier, you may even have free ones. And Google Maps will work for you. I'd be surprised if VZNav damaged your device. I just don't expect it to work on non-Verizon networks.

02-13-10 11:51 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD