Double post
    Last edited by bigpolla04; 10-04-11 at 08:25 PM.
    10-04-11 08:22 PM
    Omg the new itoy is so cool. Its got Siri everyone. Quick everyone run out and buy it.

If I'm not mistaking isn't the Vlingo Plus app is the exact same and I have it for ages . Well worth the money.
    Someone please correct me . I really don't see much of a different . All hype again from apple .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-04-11 08:24 PM
    I want to get Vlingo Premium I just can't afford it yet. It sucks being a teenager with no job.
    10-04-11 09:32 PM
    I have been trying to figure out the best text to speech and speech to text app for OS6 and noticed that Dragon Nuance isn't available!? I had it on my Curve 8900, and when attached to the left convenience key, it was incredible. Is it no longer available? (Didn't see it in appworld). If not, is Vlingo just as good? Does it read and reply to BBM?

10-04-11 09:43 PM
    So how is Siri better than the had for ever and works awesome Vlingo Plus? I have not seen it be able to do anything that Vlingo Plus doesn't do...
    10-04-11 10:04 PM
    VLingo's voice recognition is pretty terrible. TBH, almost every Tier 1 smartphone OS with in-built voice recognition has better voice recognition than Vlingo. I used it for months before I got FroYo on my Vibrant and I used it on my Samsung Jack back when (came pre-loaded).

However, the new In-Car feature was pretty nifty when they bought it out.
    10-04-11 10:15 PM
    I recieved a free premium membership to vlingo from Kevin here and I was impressed but found myself not using it ever. Without it integrating into bbm was a bummer and if I wanted to talk I'd call. Not Chance it with a speak to spell app. Call me old school but if I want to text I'll text and if I want to call I'll call. I keep the two separate.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    10-04-11 10:33 PM
    Vlingo is pretty accurate for my voice. I have a really deep voice (Puberty...you gotta love it :sarcasm:.) and other voice recognition apps suck at knowing what I say but Vlingo does it good. I do feel like it needs to be integrated more but it's the best that we blackberry owners have. I would rather have this then any other that I've seen.
    10-04-11 11:07 PM
    Vlingo Plus is absolutely terrible.

I've used it for over a year. It does not seem to actually parse the sounds of your voice, it seems to give priority to what it thinks is the right word based on the context of the sentence. But it's understanding of context is terrible. If it were true voice recognition, you wouldn't get things like this:

ACTUAL SPOKEN WORDS

I saw the adjudicator in court order the termination of his tenancy:

Vlingo says:

I saw be at you to cater in court order the termination of is Tennessee.

The leasehold improvements should include provisions for a ten foot high ceiling:

Vlingo says:

The list old improvements should include your trim is that have 10 foot high ceilings.

It is junk. I spend more time correcting the wording after I've spoken it, that I might just as well have typed the whole sentence.

Harry
    10-05-11 10:41 AM
    Vlingo Plus is absolutely terrible.

I've used it for over a year. It does not seem to actually parse the sounds of your voice, it seems to give priority to what it thinks is the right word based on the context of the sentence. But it's understanding of context is terrible. If it were true voice recognition, you wouldn't get things like this:

ACTUAL SPOKEN WORDS

I saw the adjudicator in court order the termination of his tenancy:

Vlingo says:

I saw be at you to cater in court order the termination of is Tennessee.

The leasehold improvements should include provisions for a ten foot high ceiling:

Vlingo says:

The list old improvements should include your trim is that have 10 foot high ceilings.

It is junk. I spend more time correcting the wording after I've spoken it, that I might just as well have typed the whole sentence.

Harry
    OK. That made me laugh. I use my BB for work emails and I'm a medical coder so it's not uncommon for me to type "subarachnoid cranial hematoma " which my BB then autocorrects to become "submarine carnal hello."
    10-05-11 11:43 AM
    the tech exists for ages but of course when apple finally implement such a think its "revolutionary" like "facetime" apple fanboys were like "wow" and normal ppl were like "hello? its video calling its been around for years now"
    10-05-11 11:46 AM
    future_soft, you're 100% wrong.

The Speech Tech in WP7 and Android are 500% better than the crap that is VLingo. That's why I said all Tier 1 SP OSes that have speech tech are better than VLingo, because they are. Microsoft TellMe on Windows Mobile was miles ahead of VLingo, nevermind the tech in the newer smartphone OSes.

It's just bad. You dont' have to try to INSULT other people to make up for its shortcomings.

VLingo is free on Android. The only people who use it, are those who use an old Android phone with a Pre-FroYo OS, because it's worse than what comes built into the OS.

This has nothing to do with what kind of phone you have. It's just that bad :P
    10-05-11 12:07 PM
    Well, I haven't had any problems with Vlingo so far. I'd say that it's the best speech recognition software I've used -- I guess I just have the right voice for it.

I just tried out some of the above examples: "I saw the adjudicator in court order the termination of his tenancy" It only choked on "the adjudicator" -- It even got "tenancy" right. Not too bad, I'd say.

While I expected a huge fail for "subarachnoid cranial hematoma", it got all three words correct, and performed a web search.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but it sure works great for me.
    10-05-11 01:09 PM
    Your mileage may vary, but for the Blackberry platform, Vlingo is the best currently available. I've been using it for over a year and it makes mistakes. I've used Dragon on a PC and it never does better than about 95% accuracy. I guess none will be perfect so we use what we can.
    10-05-11 01:29 PM
    I have been using Vlingo on my 9650 for over a year and now on my 9930.
    I have found that the voice recognition works very well for me and it saves me a lot of time.
    I dictate long emails to my staff and it gets 98% of it correct the first time.
    I watched the Iphone 4S Siri video and I think Vlingo can do everything Siri can do and probably more.
    10-05-11 01:32 PM
    I just tried out some of the above examples: "I saw the adjudicator in court order the termination of his tenancy" It only choked on "the adjudicator" -- It even got "tenancy" right. Not too bad, I'd say.

While I expected a huge fail for "subarachnoid cranial hematoma", it got all three words correct, and performed a web search.
    LOL, the same results with my female Texas drawl.
    10-05-11 01:52 PM
    Hmm, I have to admit I'm intrigued about Siri...so I guess I'll give vlingo a try.

What don't you get with the free version?
    10-14-11 11:48 AM
    Not a heck of a lot, pretty much just sending texts and emails though you can just do a note to self and forward it to your intended recipient. In any case I wouldn't rely on Vlingo for text to speech as in my experience the voice recognition has been pretty bad outside of extremely simple and short messages. The only thing I use Vlingo for is to open google maps or call a person while I'm on the road - handy enough to keep around. My buddy is getting an 4S so I will check out how good Siri is.
    10-14-11 02:34 PM
    I used Vlingo for almost two years on my Tour and thought it worked pretty well. I was kind of bummed when I thought I would have to re-purchase when I upgraded to my 9930...but luckily Vlingo is pre-installed on Sprints 9930's. I'm not sure if it's optimized for OS 7 or if it has something to do with the Bold's faster processor but I've noticed a BIG difference in both speed and accuracy of the app. Vlingo Rocks!!
    10-14-11 03:06 PM
    SIRI is a gimmick. Honestly, I can see my wife in the kitchen making muffins.
    Currently:
    Puts muffins in the oven and sets timer (she is already there) and walks away. Done.
    With SIRI:
    Wife puts muffins in over and says "set timer for thirty minutes"
    I say, from the living room "what was that honey?"
    Wife "I was not talking to you I was talking to the phone"
    SIRI "Did you want something else. I did not understand your last command"
    Wife "NO, I was talking to my husband"
    I walk over to the kitchen and see wife throwing the phone against the wall. Sets timer for 30 minutes and walks away. Done.

The iPhone is nice (not as nice as my Bold 9930 of course) but SIRI is just a gimmick. What is interesting is how well Apple markets this "revolutionary" thing, that the Windows phones, android phones and BlackBerry's have had for some time.

How about this: the iPhone has nothing new to offer you so we will distract you from the same boring screen (still no keyboard) and button on the bottom by making it faster because it was slow before and with a better camera because the previous one was just inferior.
    We also want to enhance your choices so we took away the buy button on the most popular Kindle app and also from Google Books. Not because we want to force you to buy your book from the apple iBookstore but because we want to support your freedom to choose. Kind of like we did with Flash.
    But now that you have spent money on your iPad1 that has no camera after Steve Jobs said "why would you want to take a picture on it, it would be like taking a picture with a clipboard" we have improved the iPad2 to include cameras so now you can upgrade. Never mind that the cameras on this device are inferior than the Playbook.
    I love Apple marketing. It is working for them because we keep falling for it.
    10-14-11 03:42 PM
    ^^^ Are you saying you know Siri is a gimmick because your wife tried to use it and threw her iPhone against the wall? You have used it?
    10-14-11 03:59 PM
    Ok, so I downloaded the free version of Vlingo for my Torch to see how that really worked because I'm betting most of the people on here who are being so negative about Siri haven't even tried Vlingo or other voice-to-text programs on other devices.

I'm really disappointed to see that in order to send texts and emails and put in Calender messages, you have to pay $20 for the plus version.

So I asked it to search the web a few times and that worked. The first thing I asked it to search Vlingo got it wrong, but I was searching for something a little complicated, so I'll throw Vlingo a bone on that one.

I asked "What's the weather?" and it sent me to the browser with links for the weather, but not for my specific location. Which would be fine, but Siri would be able to tell me and I wouldn't have to click on any links, of course.

I also asked it to set a note to myself "Pick up excedrin". It saved it as a task, but didn't let me customize the time and date of when to pick it up and no reminder, so that's frustrating.

I also did a Facebook status "I have a headache." and that seemed to work just fine.

"Find restaurants in Sumter, South Carolina" also turned up a list of restaurants in the web search of course. "Find Italian restaurants in Sumter, South Carolina" did the same thing. However, with Siri it can find them based on your location and what is closest to you. The top two searches for "Italian restaurants" using Vlingo actually pulled up restaurants in Columbia which is an hour away.

Vlingo can also set a Twitter status for you. However, you can't send a BBMs, even with the plus version.

So while Vlingo does work for some things (searching the web and setting a FB or twitter status), unless you're willing to pay $20 to send voice emails and text messages, it's not anything like what Siri is.
    10-14-11 04:29 PM
    I see this as either being a huge flop of a feature or we are all going to be deciding rather or not our friends are talking to us or any other friend they have in their contact list.
    10-14-11 04:53 PM
    Vlingo is OK on BB but for Android it kind of sucks, Edwin works nicely on Android and is almost EXACTLY what Siri is.
    10-14-11 07:04 PM
    Trying Siri first hand I can say that Vlingo is NOTHING like Siri. You can almost talk to Siri. My husband said to her, "I love you" and she responded "Oh, stop.". LOL. Then he asked her, "Will you marry me?" to which she responded "We should just be friends."

I just asked Siri, "What is your favorite color, Siri?" and she responded "My favorite color is... well, I don't know how to say it in your language. It's sort of greenish, but with more dimensions."

Pretty awesome!
    10-14-11 09:27 PM
141 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD