Hello,

I don't own a Blackerry yet but I am considering getting Virgin Mobile's Blackberry 8530 and the Beyond Talk Plan for $35.

The plan gives me unlimited internet and texting, but only 300 mins talk time.

I use Skype for $3 a month to call anyone (over the internet connection) in the United States and Canada.

Would Skype work ok with this plan? That would solve the problem of the measily 300 mins as I could talk as much as I want using Skype over the "unlimited internet" feature of the plan.

How well does Skype run on the blackberry? It is okay on my iPod Touch 2g.

Also, since the 8530 has a wifi, is it possible, via software to make it a mobile hotspot for my iPod Touch? That way I could use my iPod Touch wifi connection to go through the blackberry to get unlimited internet from anywhere.

If so, all this sounds relaly good for only $35 a month btw, do I have to go with the $35/month plan? Or can I get away with the $25 / month plan? They want $10 extra a month for some blackberry features I know nothing about.

It is for personal use only, not business.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Jennifer
    06-08-10 12:17 AM
    Hello. Hope you do get a berry.

Hello,

I don't own a Blackerry yet but I am considering getting Virgin Mobile's Blackberry 8530 and the Beyond Talk Plan for $35.

The plan gives me unlimited internet and texting, but only 300 mins talk time.

I use Skype for $3 a month to call anyone (over the internet connection) in the United States and Canada.

Would Skype work ok with this plan? That would solve the problem of the measily 300 mins as I could talk as much as I want using Skype over the "unlimited internet" feature of the plan.

How well does Skype run on the blackberry? It is okay on my iPod Touch 2g.

There is no Skype for BlackBerry but on Verizon Wireless and it seems unlikely other carriers will get Skype anytime soon. There are clones: iSkoot and IM+ Talk. Not familiar with IM+, but iSkoot calls a local number thus using those 300m you'd have.

Also, since the 8530 has a wifi, is it possible, via software to make it a mobile hotspot for my iPod Touch? That way I could use my iPod Touch wifi connection to go through the blackberry to get unlimited internet from anywhere.

Iblueer or something like that... I think I can do that over Bluetooth.

If so, all this sounds relaly good for only $35 a month btw, do I have to go with the $35/month plan? Or can I get away with the $25 / month plan? They want $10 extra a month for some blackberry features I know nothing about.

So allow me educate you, althou I question your decision to go Blackberry if you know nothing about the advantages:

BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service

- Push Email: Emails hit the device as soon as it hits the mailbox. No pooling (device asking servers if there is anything every x minutes) so less battery comsumption;
    - Encripted data: All data goes via RIM's NOC and is protected 128bits;
    - BlackBerry specific apps: Althou some apps are finally being developed with Wi-Fi in mind, most still rely on BIS to work. MSN, gTalk, iSkoot, Google Maps and Sync
    and many others.

- BBM: Can't have enough of it.

It is for personal use only, not business.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

Jennifer
    Business or personal does not really matter here. What do you want the device to do and what do you want do to with it does.

I love berries and so far I see no reason to get other brand, but if videos and games are the only thing you care for, consider other platforms.

If communication is the thing, go BlackBerry. 8500 are also great mobile players. So if you wanna stay in touch and have social, communication and music at hand, go 8500.
    06-08-10 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD