anyone know if we will be able to use the Iphone's smartstart on our blackberry anytime soon?

thx
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-13-09 at 12:45 PM. Reason: BIS address
    11-23-09 10:11 PM
    Simple answer, no.
    11-23-09 10:51 PM
    They are coming out with it but probably not til next year. I work at best buy as an installer and this item is great. Once it comes out for blackberry it will be able to utilize multi tasking unlike the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 11:47 PM
    This sounded like an awesome idea, until I read its free the first year. $30/year after the first year.
    11-24-09 04:22 AM
    It still is great. They actually don't make any money on that 30 a year. They only charge that because that is what they are being charges. I've talked to people at viper and can assure this information is true.

11-24-09 04:34 AM
    I'm not doubting your info. I'm just saying, $30/yr regardless of who is keeping the money, is $30/yr more than I'm willing to pay for the convenience. Monthly subscriptions of any kind start to add up really fast (ie: cable, internet, onstar, xm, cellular, remote start?!, etc.) It quickly adds up to a nice new car payment. Just my opinion is all.

I'd definitely be interested if it were just a one time fee at purchase.
    11-25-09 03:53 AM
    sound's like a great app, too bad these app's first come out for the iphone then we have to wait like 2-years to get it on our bb's
    11-25-09 10:14 AM
    It is available on the itouch, so even if you have a blackberry (cause theyre way better than the iphone) we can still utilize smartstart, and the $30 dollars a year is still way cheaper than what I pay for AAA a year to come unlock my car almost every month. it does suck that iphone gets all the cool apps before we do, why is thatt???
    12-12-09 11:53 AM
    Talk about security if this gets into the wrong hands. I would love this on the BB for sure. But to also have it installed in your car? How much from BestBuy? A lot of money. I might also pass.
    12-12-09 09:16 PM
    As you all probably know that they say the @ViperSmartStart app for blackberyy users will be out pretty soon as to Cnet. And as to the video it'll be 2-4 weeks.
    What I'm wondering is if I could buy the vsm100 or dsm100 if it'll work on my bb or bb users gets a different module than that?

01-10-10 09:58 AM
    i wish someone would make univereasl app to work with any remote start. i have and autopage remote starter and cant use the c3 plan beacuse nextel doent use sms. plus i dont want another monthly or yearly bill
    01-10-10 12:41 PM
    I saw this release from a viper dealer on one my F150 forum sites....

Friday, January 08, 2010 -- Directed Electronics announced that its Viper SmartStart, which allows users to start their car with their iPhone, will also work on most BlackBerry Smartphones starting in Q1 2010.

According to Mike Simmons, Executive Vice President of Directed Electronics, �Viper SmartStart will soon be available on BlackBerry devices through a free app in BlackBerry App World, providing BlackBerry users all of the great features that iPhone users have been enjoying since the product was introduced in October.�

BlackBerry users with most security or remote start systems from Viper, Clifford or Python will be able to download the free app from BlackBerry App World, have SmartStart professionally installed on their vehicle, then activate their account. Depending on installation, users will be able to start their car, lock and unlock the doors, arm or disarm their security system, pop the trunk, or panic their siren, which can also be used as a car finder � all using their BlackBerry.

According to Kevin Duffy, President of Directed Electronics, �We are making Viper SmartStart technology accessible to tens of millions of BlackBerry users � a significant and distinctly different market from the iPhone, whose users are likely to be just as receptive to the innovative features offered by our product.�

Retailers already carry the necessary hardware � either the VSM100 Viper SmartStart module, or the equivalent DSM100 Directed SmartStart module, each with an MSRP of $299. Besides the free app, users will also need a compatible Viper, Python or Clifford remote start or remote start/security system, available at thousands of authorized retailers nationwide including Best Buy stores.
    01-21-10 08:38 PM
    I have this on my car & iTouch.. It works great, other than needing a WiFi to use it. They now have a option to put a pin before the app fires up, makes a big difference. I can't wait for it to come out for the BB.
    01-28-10 10:24 AM
    Something to look forward to. And to keep in mind when looking at new cars

01-28-10 11:28 AM
    Simple answer, no.
    Yeah, eat them words.
    02-08-10 07:20 AM
    The latest from the Viper SmartStart crew!

Viper Vehicle Remote Start & Security: The SmartStart system will be temporarily offline 2/9/2010 at 10:00pm PDT while we upload software to support planned updates to the app. The outage will be kept to a minimum and we hope to complete the update in approximately two hours. However, as a precaution, we recommend that you plan on carrying your conventional... RF remote fobs. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

.....updating for the new Blackberry APP???!!! I sure hope so!
    02-08-10 06:08 PM
    The SmartStart application will be available for download 2/23/2010 according to a flyer at Best Buy.
    02-09-10 12:24 PM
    Lol now all I need is a new car and viper alarm

02-09-10 12:39 PM
    Anyone know of additional functionality that will be added?
    02-09-10 01:08 PM
    So we should be seeing something in a couple weeks, you think?
    02-13-10 09:22 PM
    Im waiting and waiting and waiting. I have the alarm and the SmartStart system installed in my car but waiting for the app to be released.
    It should be here on March 2nd.................C'mon
    03-01-10 08:55 AM
    Will this app also alert you on your BB when the alarm is sounding?
    03-01-10 09:16 AM
    Will this app also alert you on your BB when the alarm is sounding?
    If memory serves me right, i think it should, but I cant say for sure. I will let you guys know once the app is released and I am able to test it out.
    03-01-10 09:24 AM
    I just got mine installed at Best buy today and it seems to work pretty sweet on my storm1 so far...
    03-12-10 06:53 PM
    I'm not doubting your info. I'm just saying, $30/yr regardless of who is keeping the money, is $30/yr more than I'm willing to pay for the convenience. Monthly subscriptions of any kind start to add up really fast (ie: cable, internet, onstar, xm, cellular, remote start?!, etc.) It quickly adds up to a nice new car payment. Just my opinion is all.

I'd definitely be interested if it were just a one time fee at purchase.
    All the people saying that it is $30 a month is lie! I went to bestbuy and they said "NO!" and started laughing at me, the module costs, what, $300? thats where they are bankin they dont need the $30 a month. check bestbuy! i might have got a smart *** that was just BSing me but hey its worth a shot
    05-05-10 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD