Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum and to blackberries in general. (ive had my pearl for about 3 months now, and I am pretty familiarized with all of its functions and cappabilities.

My question is if Viigo is truly worth it. Currently I use Google Reader and I feel like I don't need anything else. But am I missing out on something by not using Viigo?

Ive read around and the reviews seem mixed for this app, some say its great, others say it causes problems such as memory leaks, battery drain etc.

I did download Viigo about a month ago and used it fairly often but I found that it laaged my pearl and even though it was convienient I found myself deleting it after a week.

Can anyone make an argument as to why I should use Viigo?

Any feedback is appreciated
    01-25-09 04:20 PM
    If you use google reader now then there is no need to really get viigo. I have viigo on my berry and have since I first got it. I also use google reader on my PC at home, and have tried it on berry, but I find that I like the way that viigo works a little better. If it did lag your pearl down then it may not be worth it for you. I have a curve and I have pulled a buch of crap off of my OS so I never have had any issues with viigo
    Last edited by crackvegas78; 01-25-09 at 04:32 PM.
    01-25-09 04:28 PM
    Try freerange, does the same thing as Viigo without the bloated footprint. Works great here, way better than viigo ever thought of working on my pearl.
    01-25-09 05:02 PM
    Try it and decide for yourself. It is a good time killer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 05:05 PM
    Is the podcast feature on Viigo up and running?

If it was that would be the dealbreaker for me
    01-25-09 05:24 PM
    Does anyone know of software that is like Google Reader and Viigo that I can scroll through and it marks what I have scrolled through as read? And also, I want the information under the article, the summary that is, I dont want to have to click to read the summary, I just want it as I scroll thought. I haven't found a way to do this with viigo or Google reader. Thanks.
    01-25-09 05:35 PM
    i tried viigo because of all the hype on here. i really didn't like it. i've actually downloaded it a few times, trying to give it a fair try. Deleted permanently!

i use google reader and like it so much better.

01-25-09 05:37 PM
    I deleted Viigo due to the memory leak problem. I now use AP Mobile News, USA Today, and ESPN and get the same info as Viigo and my memory stays stable. Viigo was good but just zapped memory and I did close the app when done and it did not run in the background. I do not miss Viigo at all.

01-25-09 06:11 PM
    It's a good app, but since I use Google Reader on my computer, the mobile version keeps it synced. Google Apps is a great, no frills way to view blogs.
    Chris

01-25-09 10:20 PM
    I don't really like viigo either. It doesn't sync with google reader very well, which is my main feed reader. Viigo is a good time waster, but there are other sources to get news.

01-26-09 12:27 AM
    2 reasons why Viigo isn't worth it. 1.) 800 freaking kb + is a lot for a rss reader app. 2.) the memory leak is horrible, even though they "fixed" it somewhat with the latest update

freerange is SO much better.
    01-26-09 01:01 AM
    Had Viigo for a couple of weeks, and I liked a few things about the app. However, even with good management and cleaning it up frequently, I was still having to do a hard reset as much as twice daily.

I deleted it a couple weeks ago, and the only resets I've had to do were after deleting a couple of unnecessary apps. I'd rather not have those headaches again!

01-26-09 01:39 AM
    Just curious, how do you "clean-up"
    01-26-09 02:01 AM
    But im gonna delete Viigo from my phone for a week or so. I had this app on my 8320 and I never had a problem with it, but now on my Bold, I feel like it might be draining my battery. I keep seeing a lot of people complaining about it in these forums and I think its starting to take effect. Maybe there is something wrong with this app.

Im also running AP Mobile News, and im convinced that this causes mem leaks and battery issues as well, but maybe thats just wishful thinking. Maybe I want to blame some of it on an app other than viigo. I will re-install viigo and delete AP if the problem persists, just to see if thats it.
    01-26-09 02:19 AM
    Just curious, how do you "clean-up"
    Going in and deleting unnecessary info after updates. Setting page limits in individual categories, limiting the update cycle, that kind of thing.

01-26-09 03:19 AM
    All I use it for is sports/news/weather so I already deleted some things, I will take a further look.. I've only had it for about a week.. I haven't noticed a change in my Storm at all, ie; more battery pulls neeeded.. etf
    01-26-09 12:28 PM
    Downloaded freerange and so far I find that it is very easy and fast to use.

I think I'll stick with freerange from now on!
    01-26-09 04:00 PM
    Wow, I am a Vingo addict. I am going to check out google reader on BB. I can't say enough good things about Viingo. I think the program is incredible, but I have never tried anything else.
    01-26-09 11:07 PM
    I'm gonna give it a try I think...
    01-26-09 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD