From Gizmodo today :

Verizon Phones Will Have Verizon's App Store, No One Else's..

July 28 developer event, GigaOM drops the bit that Verizon's "app store will be the sole marketplace on devices sold by the company meaning stores such as Research In Motion's BlackBerry App World or Microsoft's Windows Mobile Marketplace won't get placement on Verizon handsets."
    Granted, multiple app stores on one phone is flustercuck waiting to happen, but uh, it sounds a little less than open to me. Verizon not only stays in control of the handset, it shifts the relationship with the developer from the OS/phone maker to the carrier, Verizon. It kind of astounds me how many people are doing this wrong. And it sounds like Verizon's joining that crowd.

Verizon needs has redefined what ANTITRUST and UNFAIR competition means-
    07-13-09 06:43 PM
    RIM already has their app store on devices. Its on my 8330.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-09 06:46 PM
    i have the crackberry appstore and blackberry appstore downloaded. not sure if thats what you mean though.
    07-13-09 06:47 PM
    They are just saying that the BB App World wont be PRELOADED on the devices at sale. You can always download it (and delete the VZW App Store while you're at it) whenever you like.
    07-13-09 06:48 PM
    How does this story make sense, considering many have already downloaded and installed App World?
    07-13-09 06:49 PM
    This had better mean that it will only come preloaded with Verizon appstore but that we can add our own app store and 3rd party apps via our own methods. If they block getting 3rd party apps from everything outside of Verizons own store Ill be dumping them with the quickness.
    07-13-09 06:50 PM
    so remove vzws and install the one of your choice. god what will people complain about next?
    That only means that the app store app that comes with your tour is VZW, but you can still download third party store app and for sure RIM's
    the article is probably talking about the fact that the devices will not ship with other app stores...

meaning there not preinstalled..

doesnt mean you cant download it
    07-13-09 06:51 PM
    Verizon is pretty smart having built the best network before they started pulling stuff like this. Even though we can load the BB App World and delete VZW's, many common users won't do this and will be stuck thinking its Verizon or nothing.
    Last edited by nyyankeefan1021; 07-13-09 at 07:19 PM.
    07-13-09 06:52 PM
    Here is the reason Verizon will never offer the iPhone.
    07-13-09 06:52 PM
    Gizmo just failed at writing the article. Here's the complete article and link. Here's what the author actually says, "Verizon’s Ryan Hughes, VP Partner Management, said in an interview Friday that the network operator’s app store will be the sole marketplace on devices sold by the company, meaning stores such as Research In Motion’s BlackBerry App World or Microsoft’s Windows Mobile Marketplace won’t get placement on Verizon handsets unless a consumer downloads them."

Verizon to Mobile Developers: Can You Hear Me Now?

no need to worry.
    07-13-09 06:56 PM
    Oh and VZ is actually trying to entice developers so they can come up with something comparable to the Apple application store. VZ isn't trying to shove developers out the door. (Or at least that's the impression I got reading the actual article, and not some b.s. headline grabbing gizmo tried to do. God, I hate it when news orgs pull crap like that.)
    07-13-09 06:59 PM
    Gizmo just failed at writing the article. Here's the complete article and link. Here's what the author actually says, "Verizonís Ryan Hughes, VP Partner Management, said in an interview Friday that the network operatorís app store will be the sole marketplace on devices sold by the company, meaning stores such as Research In Motionís BlackBerry App World or Microsoftís Windows Mobile Marketplace wonít get placement on Verizon handsets unless a consumer downloads them."

Verizon to Mobile Developers: Can You Hear Me Now?

no need to worry.
    :: Sigh of relief ::
    07-13-09 06:59 PM
    i have the blackberry app world thing on my phone
    07-13-09 07:00 PM
    This had better mean that it will only come preloaded with Verizon appstore but that we can add our own app store and 3rd party apps via our own methods. If they block getting 3rd party apps from everything outside of Verizons own store Ill be dumping them with the quickness.
    fairly certain that it does.
    07-13-09 07:03 PM
    Well don't some CS people say that 3rd party apps can void your warranty

I actually had two people say that to me, and one compared them to a leak OS somehow
    07-13-09 07:12 PM
    so remove vzws and install the one of your choice. god what will people complain about next?
    do you really need to ask? Just check some of the other threads....
    07-13-09 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD