I recently migrated to VZ due to the horrors of ATT in NYC. Picked up a 9650 yesterday, and so far so good, however I cannot get the GPS to work with Google Maps. Anyone else have this issue? I downloaded the latest version from google, 4.2, and turned on GPS location in the advanced options, however the best I get is within 500 meters and just says "waiting for GPS".

My assumption is Verizon disables the GPS for third party use so i can pay for their inferior product, but not sure if anyone can confirm this. I left VZ about 5 years ago when they started crippling the bluetooth functionality and seems like nothing has changed. When it comes to the big cell carries, it's picking the lesser of two evils it seems like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 11:43 AM
    I recently migrated to VZ due to the horrors of ATT in NYC. Picked up a 9650 yesterday, and so far so good, however I cannot get the GPS to work with Google Maps. Anyone else have this issue? I downloaded the latest version from google, 4.2, and turned on GPS location in the advanced options, however the best I get is within 500 meters and just says "waiting for GPS".

My assumption is Verizon disables the GPS for third party use so i can pay for their inferior product, but not sure if anyone can confirm this. I left VZ about 5 years ago when they started crippling the bluetooth functionality and seems like nothing has changed. When it comes to the big cell carries, it's picking the lesser of two evils it seems like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I hope this isn't the case. I can only use BlackBerry Maps & NZ Navigator, which I have to pay for monthly. My GPS is crippled, therefore I can't use it on anything else. I'm eligible now to upgrade to the 9650 so I can be able to use the GPS in other apps. If the 9650 is crippled as well I might decide to look into Sprint and see what they have to offer.
    Perhaps someone can confirm that it's not crippled.
    06-05-10 12:00 PM
    06-05-10 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD