...now for the bad news. The 3rd party app that it works with is the Microsoft Bing app. Still, I guess that's something.

I discovered this by trying a few local search type apps, including Bing. I clicked on "Locate Me" in the mapping menu and lo and behold it found my exact location (not a cell tower location). Soon after that, I deleted the app because it's pretty sucky.
    12-23-09 03:48 PM
    Figures.

Don't get our hopes up. We all know about Big Red's deal with the Bing monster.

I am absolutely certain that the decision to restrict users to Bing and lock down the GPS will drive many blackberry customers away from Verizon Wireless Blackberries.

Would you buy a car from a company that said you could only have a black one when another company lets you choose your color?
    12-23-09 03:55 PM
    The GPS restriction is nothing new. While it has frustrated many, it doesn't appear to have driven many away. We just bought GPS pucks to use with our older devices. Bing appears to be an evolving story. I still have my original search engines and do not have Bing. That may be because I am a BES user.
    12-23-09 11:59 PM
    The internal GPS also works with Where?, a really nice local info locator available free in BB App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 11:44 PM
    After seeing this post, I installed Bing. It is extremely sluggish and bloated. It occasionally makes my phone freeze, which requires a battery pull. I have since removed it.

Perhaps this will encourage Google to coordinate a GMM update that allows the internal VZW GPS to work. However, since the phone is so old and modern VZW BBs have unlocked GPS devices, I doubt this will happen.
    12-29-09 09:48 AM
    You're probably right, but it is encouraging to see some 3rd party apps. Bing is not surprising, since they have made a deal with Verizon, but Where is news.
    12-29-09 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD