Hello, I live in MA but am taking a vacation to the Dominican Republic this week. I was disappointed to find that Verizon wants $1.99/min for calling so I am looking to Google. The resort has WiFi. I'd like to be able to call numbers back in the US while I am gone (in case I need to get ahold of a client).

I set up the VoiceLite and am trying to dial out, US to US this evening to make sure it works before I leave on Friday. When I have my cell radio turned on, it calls the access number and connects without a problem. However, if I have radio off and WiFi on (as I will at the resort) it just brings up the "Dialing Access Number" and nothing happens.

Can I not make calls over the internet on my phone like I could with GV on my laptop? Am I just an and missed something?

Thanks!
    Mark
    01-04-12 06:42 PM
    What device are you using? CDMA? GSM?

I'm not sure about BB7 devices, but before them, CDMA devices did not have a processor that supports VOIP. The only way apps like Skype and Vonage work is by placing a call into their network. GSM had VOIP capabilities through a couple of apps.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-05-12 07:43 AM
    Who told you this story ??
    Has nothing to do with processor, but the app.
    Here you can download a voip app that's works full.
    I tested at a bold 9000 and without cel signal (radio off) only wifi you can try a 2 minute call
    Unlimited 2 minute calls, free for 10 day trail.
    You can also configure an other sip account to make free or cheap calls. (Depends the sip you configure)
    I tested also at 3G and made calls world wide without any cost at my provider sim.
    so this app prove that it can work great.
    NO walkie talkie but full duplex.

Blackberry Voip

Enjoy DelftEo
    Last edited by delfteo; 01-05-12 at 08:04 AM.
    01-05-12 07:53 AM
    Supported devices:
    All WiFi enabled BlackBerry devices starting from OS 4.6 (excluding Storm)

Got a Storm2, dammit.

I'm on Verizon with a Storm2 so I think that makes me CDMA.

Any other ideas? I've now found something that works for iPhones and something that works for BB's other than Storms. HA!
    01-05-12 10:23 AM
    Let us know what your findings are, because this is a nice topic about calling with voip over wifi.

Enjoy DelftEo
    01-05-12 12:07 PM
    I'd be happy to share my findings but I really haven't even found anything to test. At this point, its down to using GoogleTalk calling or Skype on my laptop. Will try to experiment if I run across anything else.
    01-05-12 08:22 PM
    I found different good and free sip clients for blackberry, that is not the problem, but I'm searching for free sip accounts who let us make free calls, Offcourse within the us you can make free calls or canada but now need it for international calls, also I found services that let you make worldwide calls for free as you listen first to a 10 second AD
    There are for sure different ways that let us made free calls by wifi, but we have to play and try them out.
    What also works very good is loadtalks
    I use it a lot the quality is very good and it's made for blackberry as we'll for desktop pc, but it works as walkie talkie, but ok you can have contact with people al over the world for free.
    01-06-12 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD