I'll try to make this short and to the point. Uninstalled applications are leaving files/settings behind on my Storm. I know this to be fact because I've uninstalled programs and reinstalled them at later dates and my previous settings/properties are still loaded into the application.

I've tried uninstalling from both the handheld and through DM. I've used Blackberry Master Control Program to search for files and remnants of old applications and cannot locate anything. The applications come from all different sources, App World, OTA links, loaded through DM and also with BBMCP. I am absolutely sure the applications are not being archived and the time between reinstallation is weeks if not months.

So my question is this, other than a device wipe and OS load, how can I find an remove EVERY file associated with an application and it's settings. Is there an OS file that keeps track of the applications I've used and stores the settings? Can I edit that file to remove that data?
    03-23-10 11:53 AM
    If you can't find the files, which it sounds like you can't, then you need to wipe your phone. If you can find the files then just delete them. What kind of apps is this happening on? Themes will always do this...
    03-23-10 12:08 PM
    It's not possible.

If an application is poorly designed (or intentionally created this way - but usually it's accidental), the data it leaves behind will stay around forever, except for a wipe.
    03-23-10 12:08 PM
    ridesno159,

It's happened with Storm Slider, Blink, Personal Assistant and as you mentioned, yes every single theme leaves crap behind after being uninstalled.

veril,

Thanks for the explanation, I'll just deal with it I guess.
    03-23-10 12:18 PM
    The left over app data can be cleared with a wipe, as long as there wasn't any stuff backed up to the media card. The theme data is backed up through DM when you do your normal device back ups, no way around that I believe. I love the way it saves your theme settings. I have every theme I ever used saved on my computer, and when I install an old one, all my settings are still there. I hate getting new themes because I need to rearrange all my icons again.
    03-23-10 12:35 PM
    It's not possible.

If an application is poorly designed (or intentionally created this way - but usually it's accidental), the data it leaves behind will stay around forever, except for a wipe.
    incorrect. YOU DONT NEED TO WIPE the phone

This data you see being stored is part of the databases on the phone. You can delete them and dont have to wipe to do this. Now you will lose ALL data and have reenter information for all the apps again (serials and settings etc) if you do this. The RMS database contains all this info. Personally i dont mind it keeping this info, its not large in size and if it didnt keep the info i couldnt switch between themes without having to set them up each time.
    03-23-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD