Since I never use it I'd like to uninstall the Google Search app, unfortunately when I go to Options -> Applications -> GoogleSearch it doesn't give me the option to uninstall.

I also have the Gmail and Google Maps apps installed (and they both offer the option to uninstall) so I was wondering if GoogleSearch was needed for either of them? If not, would selecting the GS icon in the Downloads folder and selecting "Delete" be a workaround to uninstalling the app or would that just delete the icon?

Thanks!
    03-20-12 05:50 PM
    Google search app? It should be there if you installed it.
    03-20-12 06:08 PM
    You might be talking about Google search using your universal search. Since your signature gives us no indication of your device or OS I'm just guessing. If that were the case you can disable it by going to Options, Device, Search and just un-checking the box for ways you don't want to search.
    03-21-12 06:12 AM
    Oops, I thought my device would show up in the user info section since I thought I filled that out while registering. Guess not. I'm using an 8530 running OS 5.

The google apps (maps, gmail and search) came pre-installed which is why I'm not sure if they're dependent on each other or not. When I go to Options -> Applications (Third Party) Gmail 2.0.7, Google Maps 4.5.3 and GoogleSearch (Google Search) 3.9.9 are listed. When I select the former two programs I get the option to either "Delete" or "Edit Permissions", but when I select GoogleSearch I'm only given the option to "Edit Permissions".
    03-21-12 12:59 PM
    Maybe try installing the current version then see if you can delete it. Or, you could just hide the icon and forget about it...

Google Search App
    03-21-12 01:02 PM
    Yep, I think I'm going to take the "leave well enough alone, and don't mess with it" route for now. I just find it weird that you're not given an option to uninstall.
    03-22-12 01:10 PM
    Can you scroll over the icon, hit menu, then delete? Sounds like a web shortcut.

I can't remember if that was an option with my 8530.
    03-22-12 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD