Hello All, I've read many reviews lamenting the Blackberry browser. Sometimes the reviews direct you to install Opera as a web browsing alternative. Following this advice and always looking for a better experience, I downloaded Opera 4.2 and have been using it for two months.

I'm not impressed and it certainly doesn't seem quicker than my 8330's browser. In fact, there are some sites that it simply locks up (viewing photos on IMDB, for example) on where as the BB's browser coasts right through.

Am I missing something? How are most people surfing the web on their bb and finding Opera a better alternative? Is it the full-page display? You can't even read it so when you do zoom in to do so, you don't get a nice columnar view like you do on the bb browser. It's kind of slick the Opera's pages slide back and forth giving you a more polished, more finished feel to the application. But short of that, I don't get it.

Someone let me know what I'm doing wrong or tell me why Opera 4.2 is better than the BB's browser.

Thanks.
    06-14-09 01:20 PM
    Well i use the BB brower the most. But I find the need for Opera mini when I visit my bank and sites that have a lot of content in them. I don't think either is better over the other though. But I am waiting for skyfire
    Last edited by impact87; 06-14-09 at 06:09 PM.
    06-14-09 05:58 PM
    I have not tried Opera, but I did use Bolt for a little while. I saw most people loved it because of the better ability to displays the real page and not have to use the mobile versions of pages. I dunno, I am using a mobile device with a small screen, I actually prefer using the mobile versions of sites. All that side scrolling is a pain, IMO.

I just turned on the BB browser settings that were off by default and am happy as a clam. It made the mobile view even better.
    06-14-09 07:43 PM
    I use Bolt for full page viewing and BB Browser for WAP sites and such.
    Honestly, the one thing I don't like about Opera is, sometimes it doesn't format pages correctly like a text box will be in one spot and it'll have text overlap in a different spot.
    Bolt is the better option IMO.

Skyfire will hopefully top both apps tho, who knows. Give Bolt a spin and see what you think.
    06-15-09 12:08 AM
    I actually prefer using the mobile versions of sites. All that side scrolling is a pain, IMO.
    Jim, you make a good point. The mobile sites are often summarized versions of the regular full-screen websites. I do like the summaries compared to sifting through all that over-designed information display.

That's why I read most information using Viigo's RSS reader. Just the facts.
    06-15-09 01:18 AM
    I use Bolt for full page viewing and BB Browser for WAP sites and such.
    Honestly, the one thing I don't like about Opera is, sometimes it doesn't format pages correctly like a text box will be in one spot and it'll have text overlap in a different spot.
    Bolt is the better option IMO.

Skyfire will hopefully top both apps tho, who knows. Give Bolt a spin and see what you think.
    I noticed that problem with Bolt as well. Particularly on sites with a menu bar across the top. It would seem to pile stuff on top of each other.
    06-15-09 03:11 AM
    Jim, you make a good point. The mobile sites are often summarized versions of the regular full-screen websites. I do like the summaries compared to sifting through all that over-designed information display.

That's why I read most information using Viigo's RSS reader. Just the facts.
    Indeed.

It's kind of ironic how web browsing started out with only text base browsing and has now come full circle because of mobile phones. lol
    06-15-09 03:13 AM
    I use opera on my storm, which can be a challenge at times because there's no version optimized for the storm, mostly a hassle having to manually summon and dismiss the keyboard.

I use Opera for a couple of forum sites I visit that the BB browser just can't handle, and BB browser for most of the rest. Nice to have the option, never tried Bolt. Skyfire has been well hyped, so I am looking forward to trying it whenever if (finally) comes out for BBs
    06-15-09 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD