Hey guys,
    I was having some issues with QuickPull and SoftReset. After I got it fixed I searched the forums and couldn't find it, so I figured I would share.

Basically, I was getting the error:

“Uncaught exception java.lang.Illegal Argument Exception”

I found the following web page for SoftReset, and it worked as well for QuickPull. I'm not really sure of the intricacies of the applications, so I don't fully understand why the fix works, maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Soft Reset OS Fix

Basically, it involves allowing all permissions to the Email Setup Application.

Hope this helps!
    12-27-08 09:29 PM
    I believe it's only a temporary fix. I had the same if not similar problem. I called customer service with the end result of nothing. Found out from this site that it was from a Google app I downloaded to sync my contacts etc.... deleted it and NO more issues! Thanks for nothing CS.
    12-27-08 10:02 PM
    hmmm that seemed to work for me. Thank you. The only time I get that message is when I try to use the quick pull. I knew I'd find the answer here! Thanks so much.
    07-29-09 02:31 PM
    This "fix" is a very bad idea. Do not do it unless you want to compromise the security of your phone.

The menu entry for the Email Setup Application reads "Edit Default Permissions". By setting all of the permissions to Allow, you are setting all of the default application permissions to Allow. That means any application you install on your phone will have access to your e-mails, contacts, files, phone, etc. without you knowing. Security permissions are there for a reason, you shouldn't bypass them.
    07-29-09 05:38 PM
    Interestingly - I did "the fix", and QuickPull works fine - but Profiler doesn't - and I'm not sure if there is a connection.

Anyway - I want to revert to the default permissions - but don't know what they are.

Can someone list them?

Thanks!!!
    07-30-09 09:38 AM
    This "fix" is a very bad idea. Do not do it unless you want to compromise the security of your phone.

The menu entry for the Email Setup Application reads "Edit Default Permissions". By setting all of the permissions to Allow, you are setting all of the default application permissions to Allow. That means any application you install on your phone will have access to your e-mails, contacts, files, phone, etc. without you knowing. Security permissions are there for a reason, you shouldn't bypass them.
    The Giant Cashew is right. Maybe setting ALLOW permissions just for QuickPull is enough?

Here is a list of permissions someone posted:

ATT Curve 8310
    Connects Custom
    USB Allow
    Bluetooth Allow
    Phone Prompt
    Location (GPS) Prompt
    Company Network Prompt
    Carrier Internet Prompt

Interactions Custom
    Interprocess Allow
    Device Settings Modification Allow
    Media Access Allow
    Module Management Allow
    Theme Data Injection Allow
    Keystroke Injection Deny
    Browser Filtering Deny
    Screen Capturing Prompt
    Security Timer Reset Deny

User Data Allow
    Email/Messaging Allow
    PIM Allow
    Files Allow
    Key Store Allow
    Key Store Medium Security Allow
    ----------------------------------------

I suppose if you aren't sure of a setting you may want to use PROMPT and then judge it from there as you install/use apps and they ask for permission.
    07-31-09 07:51 AM
    I just checked - QP already had all set to "allow".
    07-31-09 09:28 AM
    So, if one tries it just to see, how do you get it back? Now my permission only has "allow" and "deny" but before I did this trick it was set to "custom"

By the way, this worked and I have NEVER been able to get quickpull to work.
    08-30-09 11:34 AM
    Sounds silly, but after reading this and playing with phone for a little while, trying different things......I simply turned off the alarm on the clock application. After that "SoftReset" worked fine. I don't know if that's just a coinsidence or not. Give it a try. Can't hurt.
    09-09-09 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD