I tried to download it over my wifi connection and from my pc directly to me 8220.

Is it because I'm running .278?

Says it is supported so I'm at a loss as to why it wont let me download it.

All i get is

"Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World."

Any Ideas?
    07-08-09 12:53 AM
    Ok after a little more researching I found the problem I think.

I dont have a data plan.

But I wonder if I call and add it for say a day to install if it would work or not after that.

$25 a month is nuts.
    07-08-09 01:30 AM
    Ok after a little more researching I found the problem I think.

I dont have a data plan.

But I wonder if I call and add it for say a day to install if it would work or not after that.

$25 a month is nuts.
    Yeah Nomad,

You do need a data plan to install BB's app world on your Flip, as it runs through the Blackberry internet service....BIS. It is unfortunately required.

Yes it is a total money making, marketing, slimy, crappy thing for them to do....but that is how RIM and your carrier are making that pretty penny, aside from gutting you on the other monthly charges of course.

There are several third party apps that will work over WiFi, without the data plan, but they are few and far between. I also found this out the hard way, as one of the main reasons I got the 8220 was that it had WiFi and I just ASSumed that I would be able to use all the cool apps that were out there...etc.

I did eventually wind up getting the data plan ($20 for me because I had unlimited text already), and then and only then was I able to do what I thought I could (should) be able to do over my WiFi connection.

I just comes down to whether or not having the internet/apps etc, is necessary 24/7 wherever you go. For me it's a luxury not a necessity. For some it's different. I do like having the data plan, I do HATE paying $20 extra on top of already outrageous monthly charges (when I already have WiFi through Comcast at home). The apps were uber cool for the first few weeks, then became less of a big deal. Now it's just kinda neat to have access to the web wherever I go. There are still a few apps I use on a regular basis...but to be honest....I could live just fine without any of them....just a luxury.

If it's any consolation.....I feel and felt your pain.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Hoggles; 07-08-09 at 04:18 AM.
    07-08-09 03:58 AM
    Too bad T-Mobile just nixed the BlackBerry Feature Enabler. It would have given you the ability to use data plan enabled features over just WiFi. You might try calling T-Mo customer service a few times, see if you can get the luck of the draw and find a CS agent that can still add BB Feature Enabler to your account.
    07-08-09 10:38 AM
    Too bad T-Mobile just nixed the BlackBerry Feature Enabler. It would have given you the ability to use data plan enabled features over just WiFi. You might try calling T-Mo customer service a few times, see if you can get the luck of the draw and find a CS agent that can still add BB Feature Enabler to your account.
    Yeah, you might wanna try that Nomad, but.... apparently RIM commanded T-Mobile and other carriers to stop allowing just the feature enabler to be activated. There are a few people on this forum who were lucky enough to do it before RIM caught on.

It really is pretty darn slimy of RIM not to make sure people know BEFORE they purchase the Flip, that even though you may have a WiFi signal available, you are still not able to use many many 3rd party apps and features. Total bummer, total marketing ploy, totally to be expected from a giant corporation.

RIM.....at the very least you guys should announce on your web site (in plain view) and instruct sales people to make sure consumers know this. I know for a fact there are a bunch of people who were shocked to find out ya can't do all that much with just WiFi.
    07-08-09 01:42 PM
    Well it seems the data plan was supposed to be activated when my cycle started next month was kicked in now.

Got it all installed now. I like it but that 25 is a hard pill to swallow. I used to have it when it was just 20.

I may just let the mistake slide. I guess I can eat one month bill of $90 even though I wont like it.
    07-09-09 03:35 AM
    Yeah that is pretty lame. I went to go download app world today and was wondering why it wasn't working. Currently, I can't justify the $20 for data plan.
    07-26-09 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD