I have searched a number of forums/sub-forums herein, to no avail.

I am finding that I would like to automate some functions on my device.

Looking to see if anyone has come up with a scripting tool to automate UI interactions - i.e. stroking a number of keys sequentially, moving the cursor to specific screen coordinates, etc., and then assigning the script to be kicked off via a icon on the home screen (or in a folder).

Then, I can setup quick launch to kickoff the script via a menu entry.

Utopian would be to be able to have a VR app like vlingo be able to kick off the script too...

The type of app I am looking for is analogous with AutoHotKey (AutoHotKey.com) from the x86 PC realm.

Please advise if anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this.

Thanks, in advance.

-t
    08-21-10 02:41 PM
    Great idea - now we need someone to program it (unless it exists but I don't think so).

This will probably get moved to the 3rd party app subforum.
    08-21-10 03:14 PM
    After searching for weeks, I am still coming up empty handed. I suspect that someone simply hasn't gone down this path yet.

Frankly, I am finding that a bit surprising as I strongly suspect that there are a lot of coding gurus out there that are blackberry users.?.

Well, I am thinking of taking the plunge. Looking to get into dev'g up something to facilitate this functionality.

Off to the BlackBerry Developer Community, I am.

-t
    09-18-10 09:01 PM
    I was reading some texts and began to get discouraged that there may have been too much abstraction to facilitate what I was trying to accomplish, based on this text from Beginning BlackBerry Development:

Java as the Native API

The Java virtual machine (VM) on the BlackBerry is as close to the hardware as you can get. You can�t write a non-Java native application for the platform. This means that you�re always in a garbage-collected, bytecode-interpreted environment, and you don�t have real-time access to the hardware.

However, after digging in a bit deeper into the RIM APIs, it seems that, while I can't directly interact with the hardware, there are classes/methods that facilitate some of the functionality I am desiring. An example is here.

So, it seems that the journey may be worthwhile and fruitful...

-t
    09-19-10 02:45 AM
    think your looking for EventInjector.KeyCodeEvent and initMouseEvent
    09-19-10 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD