Out of curiosity, I just installed UC Web 7.1

It's a Chinese web browser and it looks pretty good. I wondered if anyone had a translated version or a hack to use a western server?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-11-10 07:27 PM
    Some of the screen shots I've looked at are in English. Is there a language setting?
    03-11-10 07:30 PM
    Not that I can find. The characters in menus are all blanked out so difficult to find things like that LoL

03-11-10 07:42 PM
    Strange, Does it look like any of these:
    UC Web 7.1 - Google Search

See like this one is in english:

mobile world: UC 7.1 Browser English Unofficially
    03-11-10 07:45 PM
    I mean, if I browse to a UK site such as news.bbc.co.uk then everything looks English.

But the app settings (and default tabs: it has tabbed browsing) remain in Chinese.

03-11-10 07:49 PM
    The app on my bb does not look very much like those screen shots.

However, it may be the same. Will try. Thanks

03-11-10 07:57 PM
    Interesting browser. Looks like there's some unofficial versions in English, but I can't get access to them. The browser (7.1) installed and ran fine on my Bold 9700, though the menus are blank, and it looks like everything's running through a Chinese server

Edit: Spoke too soon, found a working 7.1 English-translated version link and installed it. It's not set up very BB-friendly, but I'll try it out.

Edit #2: Navigation takes a little getting used to, as this translated version isn't designed for BB's, but it's fully usable. Taking some screenshots for posterity, be ready in a few minutes.
    Last edited by CharredPC; 03-11-10 at 08:45 PM.
    03-11-10 08:21 PM
    Okay, not really a review, but here's a one minute overview on the UC web browser, unofficially English translated version 7.1, running on my Bold 9700 (.330):

Installation was a little funky. I hosted it on my webspace, but it couldn't run it from there. Once downloaded to my MicroSD card, though, it had no problems installing. Interface appears to be fairly polished. Page loading speed seems very acceptable.

The button layout takes some getting used to- keep in mind this version was not designed for the BB, but I wanted English! For those following in my footsteps, here's a couple shortcuts to get you started: Navigation is done using the trackpad, but clicking doesn't work; the enter key does. Q opens the menu, P seems to be exit. Enter selects options within the menu as well. Keyboard appears to work normally in text fields.

Here's some screen shot goodness:

Browser installed and runs, hooray!

I did have to click "English Version" for this page to pull up...

Ah, it looks like home to me...

Looks like lots of options to tweak here- which of course I will try.

More menu options... haven't checked to see if the number shortcuts work.

Here's where you go to enter a web address- standard stuff.

Changed the browser's theme to a black one (included); I think it fits the BB better

I'll keep using it and keep this thread updated, if there's interest. I doubt it's amazing or radical, but with all the browser complaints around here, it's good to have another option, right? I've attached the modified English browser for those who want to try it as well.
    03-11-10 09:14 PM
    That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the screen shots and a link! I'll have to give it a shot on my 8530. Maybe someone a long the line will create a BB friendly version, then there would be an alternative to Opera Mini and Bolt.
    03-11-10 09:21 PM
    I agree

In addition to the download manager and its impressive use of tabs, UC Web has some options for playing media content

HTML rendering isn't going to challenge Opera or Bolt, although UC can masquerade as other browsers. All of this is to be expected because most Chinese phones offer WAP only.

It's arguably faster and more empowering than any of the other browsers, but that's going to depend a lot on how you use your browsers.

03-11-10 09:28 PM
    They have a BlackBerry version, but it isn't in English, which makes it very difficult to use. I'm sure someone clever could take this version and mix it with the official BB one. If I get time over this next week of spring vacation, I'll take a stab at it.

Here's how it looks when freshly opened now:

And an example of the tabbed browsing:

Not sure if it was a glitch, the default theme, or something I did that hid the tabs in the previous screenshots.
    03-11-10 09:29 PM
    I must say it looks better than the latest beta of Opera Mini.. but this is because Opera Mini Beta 5 looks like it was purely meant for a touch screen.
    03-11-10 09:31 PM
    After using it a few minutes, navigation isn't any more painful than Opera (IMO). Here's Zoom Mode enabled, at msn.com:

Pressing Enter zooms in like so:

Page rendering obviously isn't perfect, but it's usable. I'll stop with the pictures now, I promise

Grrr... the BlackBerry version is much nicer. Appropriate sized fonts, better layout, everything... but no English, and it's tied to a limited foreign server. Anyone handy with JAD files? I could post it here, if someone thinks they can do something with it.
    Last edited by CharredPC; 03-11-10 at 10:44 PM.
    03-11-10 10:04 PM
    I'll have to keep checking back for updates on this.
    03-12-10 12:42 PM
    I'm without internet on my desktop pc at the moment so I cannot do much.

However, I am keen to help compile a translated version.

I think we may need to decompile the .cod files and replace the chinese with english.

To do that we might need to decompile the .jar files on the translated version.

Can you please share all the files?

I don't know what we can do about the limited server because UC Web could require proprietory data formatting. We might need to read the http headers to see what's going on.

Is anyone on CB fluent in chinese? I'm sure the chinese people have already tackled this issue

03-12-10 01:00 PM
    Can you please share all the files?

I don't know what we can do about the limited server because UC Web could require proprietory data formatting. We might need to read the http headers to see what's going on.
    I'll post everything I've got, sure. The English version I already posted has been altered so that it uses an "english" server- here's the modder's release notes (changes vs the BB Chinese version):

-Changed default server to English server to enjoy access blocked sites in Chinese server.
    -Use Advanced UA if UC browser redirecting you to mobile version of sites. I've fixed UA as always with 2 two different value. You can select them in Preference- System Settings- UA. Here you can select Advanced UA 1 or 2 for Mozilla or Opera UA.
    -Added .in extension for easy work. Before you see the .cn and other useless only.
    -Now added some useful bookmarks in place of default Chinese bookmarks. For GMail and Google English versions and UC english forum and download page.

So with the modded English translation version, there's no limits except that Google still detects it as a foreign ip... but as I showed in my screenshot, you can click a link and it works as normal. Now if I can only figure out how to actual type text into the fields on the English mod version!

Attached is the BlackBerry UC 7.1 non-English version. If you look at my screenshots for comparison, it's usable.
    03-12-10 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD