Anybody else download it? any thoughts?

I NOTICE THAT BIG BANNER AD AT THE TOP OF THE TIMELINE NOW! ugh!
    08-12-09 09:23 AM
    Lets make our way over to the 3rd Party Apps Sub Forum for this topic.
    08-12-09 09:31 AM
    Last edited by doctorlove316; 08-12-09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: delete
    08-12-09 10:55 AM
    Anybody else download it? any thoughts?

I NOTICE THAT BIG BANNER AD AT THE TOP OF THE TIMELINE NOW! ugh!
    And the ad I saw was for a PRAYER - I would prefer not to mix my use with someone else's doctrine!!!
    08-12-09 12:01 PM
    Mine is ok, except for a bit slower performance compared to 0.76

Also, the light notification keeps blinking well after I read all new tweets. Once I switch applications it is alright but not unless I do so. Weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 12:16 PM
    Anyone know if once UT is out of beta, is it gonna be free?
    08-12-09 01:24 PM
    Introduction of Ads + No Removal Option = Fail

If they're not ready to accept payments for the ad-free version, they shouldn't have released a version forcing ads yet. Even if it's only for a couple of weeks, this was a bad move on their part. The couple of weeks where they're not ready to accept payments for ad-free is a couple of weeks that users are now forced to view these unwanted ads and generate them ad revenue.

Personally, I always purchase an application that I use frequently. I would UT too, but they aren't ready to accept payments yet. If I'm forced too view the undesired ads for too long without a removal option, I'll switch to a different client and not look back. I suspect there will be many others who feel the same way as me.
    Last edited by stew721; 08-12-09 at 01:37 PM.
    08-12-09 01:34 PM
    Introduction of Ads + No Removal Option = Fail

If they're not ready to accept payments for the ad-free version, they shouldn't have released a version forcing ads yet. Even if it's only for a couple of weeks, this was a bad move on their part. The couple of weeks where they're not ready to accept payments for ad-free is a couple of weeks that users are now forced to view these unwanted ads and generate them ad revenue.

Personally, I always purchase an application that I use frequently. I would UT too, but they aren't ready to accept payments yet. If I'm forced too view the undesired ads for too long without a removal option, I'll switch to a different client and not look back. I suspect there will be many others who feel the same way as me.
    Though I agree that they should have released both versions together to accommodate those who want each version, I do not agree with your reaction to them doing so. At this point, I do not believe that they have actually forced you to upgrade to their latest beta, and have not actually forced any ads on you. They already announced that they were going to introduce ads, so having them in this version should not come as a surprise. If you are completely against the ads, then for the "couple of weeks" in which they are not ready to accept payment, you could have remained with the previous ad-free version.
    08-12-09 02:24 PM
    People really gotta get off their high horse and stop exaggerating the evil ads.

It's one friggin ad that shows up as a tweet. Big deal.

Also, nobody is Forcing anything on you. Ubertwitter IS still in beta. Once again the masses show their bad side when they display their propensity for self entitlement.

08-12-09 02:26 PM
    Though I agree that they should have released both versions together to accommodate those who want each version, I do not agree with your reaction to them doing so. At this point, I do not believe that they have actually forced you to upgrade to their latest beta, and have not actually forced any ads on you. They already announced that they were going to introduce ads, so having them in this version should not come as a surprise. If you are completely against the ads, then for the "couple of weeks" in which they are not ready to accept payment, you could have remained with the previous ad-free version.
    To quote directly from UT's Web site, "Integrated advertisements - Please note, the ads are there to support the freely distributable version of berTwitter. Users that purchase berTwitter will not have advertisement in their version.". That direct quote about paying to not have ads is not listed within the list of "features and capabilities which just didn't make it into this release", but rather, it's listed in the "features and bug fixes that made it into this release" list.

If the ad-free version were available as announced on their Web site, we wouldn't be having this discussion now would we? Simply put, UT listed ad-free as available with this release and it is not. To reiterate...

Introduction of Ads + No Removal Option As Clearly Proclaimed = Fail

It wasn't until installing the new version that I found out they're not ready to accept payments yet. FAIL!
    Last edited by stew721; 08-12-09 at 02:53 PM.
    08-12-09 02:40 PM
    As long as the ad doesn't slow the app down, it's fine with me. I'll probably pay for the non-ad version when available, but mostly just to support the cause. For me, the ad is no different than the garnish they put on your plate at a restaurant. Sure, it's taking up space unnecessarily, but just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it.
    08-12-09 02:48 PM
    I personally enjoy the ads. As for doctrine that's religion; not Christianity, which is a lifestyle; chosen not forced. pin:30b73724

08-12-09 02:55 PM
    Also, it works much better than other twitter clients. Tweetcaster#2.

08-12-09 02:56 PM
    For me, the ad is no different than the garnish they put on your plate at a restaurant. Sure, it's taking up space unnecessarily, but just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it.
    If the menu says I can have fries or a salad with my steak, I should (and would expect to) have the choice as stated; not be forced to have one because they don't actually serve the other.

Bottom line of it all... UT stated on their Web site that with this release, you could pay/purchase and would not have ads. Clearly, that's not the case and was mis-leading. I came to find out that they're not ready to accept payments after installation, which was done based upon their statement of being able to purchase to not have ads.
    Last edited by stew721; 08-12-09 at 03:05 PM.
    08-12-09 03:02 PM
    Clearly, that's not the case and was mis-leading.
    I don't know. I think it's a matter of semantics. Saying that this release will include a paid, no-ad option, and saying that both versions would be available simultaneously are two different things. I do see your point, but honestly, as long as they release the paid version while this version is the most current one, then they will have kept their word. I expected an ad when I downloaded the update this morning, so no biggie to me.
    08-12-09 03:20 PM
    I don't know. I think it's a matter of semantics. Saying that this release will include a paid, no-ad option, and saying that both versions would be available simultaneously are two different things. I do see your point, but honestly, as long as they release the paid version while this version is the most current one, then they will have kept their word. I expected an ad when I downloaded the update this morning, so no biggie to me.
    The point is that they made no mention that you wouldn't be able to remove ads for a couple of weeks yet. In fact, it's clearly listed in the list of features for this release as of 12 Aug 2009 @ 0854. I fully expected the ad as well, but with an option to remove as was to be available.
    08-12-09 03:25 PM
    can you still set the tones and vibration in the new release in your profile options ?
    08-12-09 03:57 PM
    can you still set the tones and vibration in the new release in your profile options ?
    Yes, you can. My rofile settings were remembered as well.
    08-12-09 05:20 PM
    stew721 when i go to my profiles it isnt there ... but the sounds i gave it still happen ?
    08-12-09 05:47 PM
    stew721 when i go to my profiles it isnt there ... but the sounds i gave it still happen ?
    If you don't see any options for UT in your sound profile, I'd suggest you try the following:
    1. Open UT.
    2. Press the menu button and select "Exit".
    3. Go into the BlackBerry options and select "Advanced Options" -> "Applications".
    4. Find and highlight UT.
    5. Press the menu button and select "Delete".
    6. I don't remember offhand if you're prompted to restart when deleting UT or not. If so, select "Yes" and do so. If not, perform a battery pull.
    7. When your BB's restarted, proceed to download and install UT again.
    8. After installation's complete, open UT and go through the setup wizard. You should have been prompted to set the permissions for UT to "Allow" for all 3 groups.
    9. Once UT's been setup, go back into your sound profile and see if there are any listings in there for UT.
    10. Set your preferred sound settings.
    Last edited by stew721; 08-12-09 at 06:02 PM.
    08-12-09 05:57 PM
    thank you my friend .... appreciate the fast info ....
    08-12-09 06:06 PM
    The point is that they made no mention that you wouldn't be able to remove ads for a couple of weeks yet. In fact, it's clearly listed in the list of features for this release as of 12 Aug 2009 @ 0854. I fully expected the ad as well, but with an option to remove as was to be available.
    I see what you're referring to, but I don't see how this implies that the purchased version was included in this release.

It probably is, as someone else mentioned, a game of semantics.

Technically, all I got out of it was literally what was said:
    Integrated advertisements were one of the list of features that made it into the release.

It doesn't say, explicitly, anywhere that the paid version was included. It wasn't under its own bullet but a part of a bullet of a feature that did make it into the release.

It appears to me to be nothing more than a side note.
    08-12-09 06:22 PM
    thank you my friend .... appreciate the fast info ....
    No problem. How did it go?
    08-12-09 07:03 PM
    Just my opinion, but can you cmplain about false advertising for something that's free? Lol. Works great and love the added functionality. Don't really mind if there's the ad on top. I get some tweets that are more annoying than the ads. Lol. Overall, enjoying the upgrade.

08-12-09 07:12 PM
    They mentioned ads were coming 2 released ago. They also said that a paid version wouldn't have them. I agree that it would have been nice to have both the free and paid versions released at the same time, but no excuse to not know the ads were coming.
    08-12-09 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD